Bravo’s with Monroy LR Tanks

DVA

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I was thinking all 4 had the flappers, but I'll have to verify.  Your solution, of course, makes perfect sense if the outboard fillers don't have them.  It's been hovering around 100 here so I haven't been to the hangar for a few days.  Thanks!

My condolences on the hot temps!

You'll find the Monroy extended tanks don't use ant-siphon valves. They were unique to the K models. If you see something different, please report back. 

Hope it cools down.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are there actually flapper valves between the aux and mains?   So you can fill the mains and the aux tanks be empty (at least for a while)?

If not, there would be 4 levels  you could fuel to without a stick or gauges.

Just enough to see fuel in the main fillers. Just enough to see fuel in the aux fillers.  To the top for the main filler.  And full up.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:59 PM, kortopates said:

You'll find the Monroy extended tanks don't use ant-siphon valves.

Spot on.  Wide open, and I can see the bottom of the tank.  For long flights, I can probably just stick the aux tanks, and that will tell me what the overall picture is.  Calibrating the stick may be challenging.  Thanks for the guidance!

8 hours ago, Pinecone said:

Are there actually flapper valves between the aux and mains?

Not that I'm aware of.  I think flow between the tanks is somewhat inhibited by the size of the opening between them, but not by any kind of extra hardware.  I think you could fill a dry wing by just fueling the aux tank if you were patient enough to wait for the fuel to migrate downhill to the main.  The flappers are just under the main fuel caps, spring loaded on one side so the fuel nozzle will push it open enough to get it down into the tank a ways.  The spring is pretty strong, so it makes it difficult to visually inspect the tank or use a dip stick.  As @kortopates correctly pointed out, no flappers on the aux tanks.

OK, thanks.

I am planning on calibrating two different versions of dipstick type devices.

So, I will need to get to a point and wait a while for the fuel level to even out between main and aux.  And calibrate for the main filler and aux filler.

This will work in practice, as I will normally dip upon landing to double check how much to add, or before flying, after sitting for a while.

Just have to make SURE to open and dip aux first and NOT open main fillers if above a certain aux dip. :D

And since I am an engineer by degree, I will probably try starting with nearly empty tanks, fill the aux as quickly as the pump fills, and time how long it takes to drain into the mains. :D

Be on the lookout for how well the fluid and air move between the ribs…

Some tank re-seals have unknowingly covered these important holes…

once fuel has gotten above the first fuel cap…. Things get more challenging to observe… :)

Long Bodies moved the single fuel cap further up hill…

Getting the last five gallons in requires patience… but, these five gallons aren’t part of the known usable fuel….

Best regards,

-a-