Panel Upgrade Done!

JohnB

.. And this all started with me wanting to simply upgrade my EDM 800! :) .... Ok .. with help of the suggestions and comments here,  I went a little nuts and went for the full Monty panel upgrade. I was thinking of going glass with my steam gauges, but I really like them, and their redundancy so I kept them all and added one that had been previously removed. So now I have my *PERFECT* panel for me! Lots of things are behind the panel, but here's what I had installed... (I swapped out my MX20. EDM 800, Ryan 9900BX active traffic, ADF.. kept my 430W) and added the following stuff since the before pic:

• GTN 750
  • Garmin GDL 88 ADSB Tranceiver
  • Garmin GMA 35 Remote audio panel
  • Flightstream 210
  • TI 102 USB charging ports
  • DAC international GDC 31 roll steering adapter (Don Kaye talked me into this one.. love it)
  • Guardian CO detector
  • Avidyne TAS 620 Active traffic
  • EDM 830 (in landscape! long story on a different thread)
  • Avidyne AXP 340 1090 Transponder
  • EJC turn coordinator
  • Eagle systems AOA (Valkyrie HUD)

Here's some before and after pics. Absolutely love the integration of my ipad though the flightstream that feeds nav data from my ipad to my GTN which cross fills my 430 and reverse also. Guardian CO already paid for itself in picking up an exhaust clamp that was beginning to leak nearing failure. And I could be imagining this, but I think now that I am fully ADSB compliant, the controllers seem to handle you a little better. Got everything I want in my Mooney Panel... for now!! :)

imgCA8XS4VW.pdf

IMG_0857[1].JPG

• Like 13

10 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Nice John!  Loving the Garmin new transponder, and I especially keyed into the Active traffic option...EXCELLENT call.  :-)

Is a G500 on the horizon (no pun intended)?

Thanks Steven. And G500!! That exactly was previously on my radar for this install as I was thinking glass vs no glass. But then as I am so used to round steam gauges (anyone know why are they called steam anyway, did airplanes used to run on steam?), I still don't trust anything on an electronic screen to be my only source of navigation in IMC, and would have a problem fitting all of the other round gauges I like like my stormscope, vor, backup AI and other stuff. Also in talking with someone here.. (oh was it worldtraveller?) I hear that all glass IFR currency is different and takes more practice to maintain. Im sure if I got used to it, it would be fine. I chose not to do that for now, but instead, spend some of that would be G500 dough on Mooney traveling money and a new interior coming soon. :) 

Also I've got so much stuff bluetoothing and talking to and from equipment, ipads and iphones, integrating a G500 or Aspen might get me cockpit Bluetooth overload.

Very nice panel John! Congrat. I also prefer steam gauges. The 430W can still get us out of trouble in IMC. I'll be visiting my son who lives nearby Long Beach in a week but going airlines this time. I did it with the Mooney once but wife found 18 flight hours a bit long. Which FBO are you based at? 

Yves

34 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Very nice panel John! Congrat. I also prefer steam gauges. The 430W can still get us out of trouble in IMC. I'll be visiting my son who lives nearby Long Beach in a week but going airlines this time. I did it with the Mooney once but wife found 18 flight hours a bit long. Which FBO are you based at? 

Yves

I'm out of Signature flight support at Long Beach Yves. And yaay Im glad im not the only one who prefers steam gauges!

Looks nice John! You flew into corona last week and parked in front of my hanger by the interior shop. I was deep in conversation with someone and couldnt come over and say hi. Love the bravo! Hope to upgrade to that one day! 

Mike

Edited by Mhemperly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mhemperly said:

Looks nice John! You flew into corona last week and parked in front of my hanger by the interior shop. I was deep in conversation with someone and couldnt come over and say hi. Love the bravo! Hope to upgrade to that one day! 

Mike

Hey Mike!

Come over and say Hi next time! Yes that's the shop I just hired to redo my interior, starting this week!

11 hours ago, JohnB said:

Hey Mike!

Come over and say Hi next time! Yes that's the shop I just hired to redo my interior, starting this week!

I will next time! I'll keep an eye on it for you! Haha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mhemperly said:

I will next time! I'll keep an eye on it for you! Haha

Roger that!! It will just be my seats and innards over there for a while, but thanks for looking out for a fellow Mooniac!

John, Didn't see the mygoflight mount on your panel, but happy to have been of help! The MGF mounts are great! http://www.mygoflight.com/ipad-mount-parts/ 

You mentioned GPSS and I don't see a glass PFD on your panel, which is the way to get the "S" (steering), so curious as to how you got GPS"S" without Aspen, which is the easy way to accomplish this.

I too am not an Aspen fan for many reasons, primarily because they sell a product and then send the buyer to Sporty's to purchase some training videos, they don't provide any type of PC simulator, nothing for proficiency, nothing for currency except >>> go fly the airplane to figure out how it all works. Aspen looks good on paper, but in reality there is a complex matrix in the aircraft for utilization and integration to GPS and Autopilot and the average G/A few hours a month of actual IFR doesn't maintain proficiency. Also the aspect ratio is not the best, very narrow and somewhat difficult to read. Did I mention "soft keys" with things buried three levels deep? Garmin at least has PC and iPad simulators, Aspen nothing. Glass is nice, but for the average G/A install, round dials are IMO the way to go.

Another consideration is what powers all that glass, an old alternator? No split bus? A failed alternator, battery soon gone dead, and even an internal PFD battery will go dead fast. 30-60 minutes to find an airport and shoot an approach before everything going dark is quite stressful, maybe impossible. Glass in turbine equipment enjoying multiple redundancy is far different that a M20 with 20 year old electrical system. Lots of glass is a heavy draw. Just my observation for the "glass proponents" out there!

Happy Flying!

• Like 2

WWT,

There is an example of a gpsS box for sale by the grim reaper here somewhere.  About 1 AMU..?

The electronic box may be specific to both the GPS and AP on either end, in conjunction with the HSI.

The nice thing about the GPSS is it's ability to follow turns in the flight plan and relay them to the AP through the HSI.

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, WorldWiseTrade said:

John, Didn't see the mygoflight mount on your panel, but happy to have been of help! The MGF mounts are great! http://www.mygoflight.com/ipad-mount-parts/ 

You mentioned GPSS and I don't see a glass PFD on your panel, which is the way to get the "S" (steering), so curious as to how you got GPS"S" without Aspen, which is the easy way to accomplish this.

Heya Robert,

I did not put a my goflight mount up for my ipad mini, although now I have two of them I dont use (anybody want one?) You see that black dot on my yoke? Thats a magnetic mount from Scoche which I got from Best Buy for around $25 which works great.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/scosche-magicmount-universal-vehicle-mount-black/9701232.p?id=1219706108144&skuId=9701232

There's a metal strip adhesive plate I put on the back of my ipad mini which holds it perfectly on my yoke, can angle it and unless I really smack it, it doesnt come off. I also have another one I use for my iphone on the left side which I use as a backup screen (I use that one for always on traffic using Garmin Pilot). Only downside with this is you have to glue it on to your yoke so it will stay, and you would lose the little Mooney logo in the center of your yoke when its there. Oh and I did test the magnet on the mount, its so directed, that even holding it less than 1 inch from my compass, there was no change I could see in the compass (of course its several feet away mounted on my yoke)

And the GPSS! It is marvelous and yes I have the S steering in my GPSS, The controller is the square button right next to my altitude selector, (DAC international GDC 31 roll steering adapter). It tracks exactly whatever course I put on my GTN 750 directed to my autopilot, including course turns with anticipation of your speed and the angle to exactly stay on a course bend, holds, approach turns as well as RNP curved approach paths, which I used the other day to try the RNAV(GPS) X into CRQ which includes a curved course. It will do it! 

Thanks for your help!

John

Edited by JohnB

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Hmmmmmm....

RNP for the masses..?

Is that possible?

Best regards,

-a-

Almost! I was very excited to hear that the GTN 750 is certified to do radius to fix (RF) and RNP 1.0 with the new software upgrade 6.11, as my airplane now would be capable of doing an RNP 1.0 course.  Problem is, that there are no RNP 1.0 approaches, and theyre all either RNP 0.3 or 0.1 when it comes to the final approach... BUT the airways leading to the fixes do not require that same precision and RNP 1.0 (or 1 mile) would be tracking the courses within those limits. So there arent too many radius to fix approaches in my parts, but the one at palomar KCRQ is one of them. Only issue was when i tried to do it, my plane was tracking perfectly, but the controllers just vectored me to the straight part of the course when I really wanted to do the arc.. the swine! Im going to try to do it on some perfect VFR weekday when theyre not too busy or stressed and see if i can do the entire approach (attached) with my GPSS coupled to my autopilot.

RNAV X RWY 24 CRQ.pdf

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, WorldWiseTrade said:

Garmin G5 now has STC, would be a nice addition, redundancy with the stream gauges remaining in your panel, but modern features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know.. I've been looking at it.. but I hear that Dynon just purchased Advanced systems who has a system for experimentals for around $5,000. I heard a rumor that they are currently working on getting an STC for certified airplanes targeted for next year sometime and plan on keeping the price the same. The system looks pretty impressive, and has fly through boxes on ILS or setup 3 degree glideslope approaches, integrated AOA and engine monitoring! Im going to wait a bit, but yes you know what I was thinking! :)

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/AF-5600/af5600.html

Edited by JohnB

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Rocket Paul,

A few years ago, I was looking for a DAC GDC31 to add roll steering between my KLN90B and my KAP150.

there were a couple of versions of the GDC (I believe). Do you have more details of which one you have?

Best regards,

-a-

I'll ask my avionics guy for the details. But this one was to go between my KFC150 and GNS530W.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...