Id like a ride in a M20G- SoCal

Im in the market for a G model.  Im in Orange County.  Would like a ride in a G model.  Ill buy the gas and the beer.  I can come to you. 

I have friends in san jose so I might be able to swing it to ride in one from norcal if theres any takers.

apologies if this isnt the right area or not cool to ask.  I dont know many people in aviation so I figured this would be the spot.

im an IT guy, fairly normal, a dog and cat, married, I dont smell.  changing careers to aviation and working on my IR then CPL/CFI.  Almost 40 years old. 

dont want to sound like a match.com post but be happy to shoot a few emails back and forth so you know Im not to weird.  I hear you mooney guys like to show off your planes though ;)

Edited by TheTurtle

See if you can find the performance numbers for the G.  Rough numbers should be available from a POH.  When it comes to POHs, the newer the better.

Climb rate is strongly related to power to weight ratio.  With the Normally aspirated 180hp engine, climb will be dependent on altitude and temperature.

I believe there is a POH for an M20C posted in the download section above.  The G and the C share the same wing and engine. A fully loaded C and the same total weight in a G will climb in a similar fashion....

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

See if you can find the performance numbers for the G.  Rough numbers should be available from a POH.  When it comes to POHs, the newer the better.

Climb rate is strongly related to power to weight ratio.  With the Normally aspirated 180hp engine, climb will be dependent on altitude and temperature.

I believe there is a POH for an M20C posted in the download section above.  The G and the C share the same wing and engine. A fully loaded C and the same total weight in a G will climb in a similar fashion....

Best regards,

-a-

good to know.  there are a couple Cs around KSNA.  I think theres one for sale actually, maybe ill kick the tires on that one.

Edited by TheTurtle

My first mooney experience was in a G. I took around a 4-1/2 hour trip in it and was very pleased with its performance. If your used to carbureted engines that's a plus as well because my F can be funny sometimes. Here's some good performance data I've found. http://www.lasar.com/userfiles/file/mooney-specification-and-performance-guide.pdf

41 minutes ago, bonal said:

If it's just the 2 of you then you might do well to get into a C I'm sure you will find lots more to look at since there were many more made

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm always shocked at the difference in a gross-weight departure versus just me with 1/2 fuel. It's like I'm in 2 different planes.  If Turtle is planning on flying it with one or two people most of the time, he'd probably be pretty happy with it.

29 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm always shocked at the difference in a gross-weight departure versus just me with 1/2 fuel. It's like I'm in 2 different planes.  If Turtle is planning on flying it with one or two people most of the time, he'd probably be pretty happy with it.

That's why I use Takeoff Flaps with trim on the line when heavy, no flaps and trim to the top of the line when light. It's very impressive when light in the winter; the further north,  the colder, the more impressive. I just wish I could remember what the VSI said that 8°F breakfast run with half tanks when the wife stayed home in bed . . . .

My C is acceptable for short runs with four adults, but it matters which adults it is. Three pax at 200+ each is a problem; one other guy around 170-180 and two ladies in the 130 range aren't a problem. Also, try to keep the 4-up flights down to an hour or 1-1/2 for comfort, and rotate the other seats at every landing, even if just a fuel stop. I'm 6' and fly in the middle seat position. The back seat is ideal for one person, they have the option to sit on one side and put feet on the other.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mhemperly said:

I don't own a G but I have an E. I live in Laguna Niguel and my plane is based in corona. 

Mike

hey awesome.  Im getting a T-hangar at corona no matter which model I get.  Ill see you out there.

Hey Turtle,

I have been very happy with my 1968 G model.  I have flown it across the US and back, to remotes strips in Mexico and Canada, at altitudes up to 13,500 feet and in all kinds of (scary) weather!  As I am in Ukraine now, I have listed it for sale.

Climb rates vary considerably with OAT and loadout.  On a cool day on the East Coast with just me aboard, I will climb at 1200 FPM.  A hot day out of San Jose at Max Gross Weight saw only 300 FPM, and once at Big Bear (8000' DA), I saw only 150-200 FPM.  Generally, I see 700-800 FPM climbs.  Overall, I have been very happy with my G Model.  I true out at around 135kts, which, while a little slower than some other Mooney pilots claim, is an honest airspeed and a great value for 9 gallons of fuel per hour.

Incidentally, I have listed it for sale on www.airmodsflightcenter.com.

Clear Skies!

Sean

Turtle,

I've got a G model at Fox Field (WJF) in Lancaster, just over the mountains from you.  I'd be happy to take you for a flight if you want to make the trek out to the desert.  Besides radio upgrades, my M20G is exactly as she rolled out of the factory in '68.  Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate details.

If it matters, I love my M20G.  I get the extended fuselage with the highly reliable O-360 engine.  I flight plan for 135 ktas and 10gph, which I could push to 140 if I really wanted to. It will climb in excess of 1,000fpm when light and cool and around 500fpm when hot and heavy.  It's not as fast or as efficient as other Mooneys, but I think I make up through what I would say is the absolute lowest cost of ownership for a 4-seat retract.

Let me know if you want any other ownership stories.

5 hours ago, 3914N said:

Turtle,

I've got a G model at Fox Field (WJF) in Lancaster, just over the mountains from you.  I'd be happy to take you for a flight if you want to make the trek out to the desert.  Besides radio upgrades, my M20G is exactly as she rolled out of the factory in '68.  Shoot me a PM and we can coordinate details.

If it matters, I love my M20G.  I get the extended fuselage with the highly reliable O-360 engine.  I flight plan for 135 ktas and 10gph, which I could push to 140 if I really wanted to. It will climb in excess of 1,000fpm when light and cool and around 500fpm when hot and heavy.  It's not as fast or as efficient as other Mooneys, but I think I make up through what I would say is the absolute lowest cost of ownership for a 4-seat retract.

Let me know if you want any other ownership stories.

Thanks for the offer!  It looks like there may be 2 G models in SoCal pretty soon.  I went ahead and signed a pre purchase agreement with the guy and if it passes the prebuy inspection Ill be taking her home. 

Sounds like you are ahead of the curve.  I hope the one you found is up to snuff and you are able to take her home.  Please let us all know how it goes.

For your negotiating power: I think the Mooney appraisal tools err on the high side.  These tools say my 'G is $53k, Vref says $49k.  Personally I wouldn't pay above Vref price.  Also, use this forum for a wealth of knowledge about prebuy questions.

R

On 6/17/2016 at 5:52 AM, Seanhoya said:

Hey Turtle,

I have been very happy with my 1968 G model.  I have flown it across the US and back, to remotes strips in Mexico and Canada, at altitudes up to 13,500 feet and in all kinds of (scary) weather!  As I am in Ukraine now, I have listed it for sale.

Climb rates vary considerably with OAT and loadout.  On a cool day on the East Coast with just me aboard, I will climb at 1200 FPM.  A hot day out of San Jose at Max Gross Weight saw only 300 FPM, and once at Big Bear (8000' DA), I saw only 150-200 FPM.  Generally, I see 700-800 FPM climbs.  Overall, I have been very happy with my G Model.  I true out at around 135kts, which, while a little slower than some other Mooney pilots claim, is an honest airspeed and a great value for 9 gallons of fuel per hour.

Incidentally, I have listed it for sale on www.airmodsflightcenter.com.

Clear Skies!

Sean

Ditto to the above. 700 -800 fpm at aroung 135-140kts tas at 9 gph. Nice cruiser if you can get one at a cheap price.

I almst bought a G, but the owners son crashed it 10 days prior to the pre-buy doing 180 spot landings with a CFI.  Both walked away with no injuries, except to the plane.

Do you have any photos?

So it has the cuffed outboard wing... 

I know the years they were produced, but did all the Gs have them?

No G bashing here!! I think it's neat what they tried to do! I look at Cs & Ps and wonder why anyone would ever want to buy one!! All except some of the later 210s. Saw a guy pile his 3 kids and wife into one over the weekend, then blast off at 2700 rpm. Good stuff!! But as a tech, I've always said I would never own a Cessna retract...

Looks like a well cared for airplane. Good luck! 

-Matt

Nice looking plane.  For being orginal that interior is in pretty good shape.

I say take it out and fly it, enjoy it, and then descide what up-grades you need/want.

Hope your pre-buy goes well.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

You're not supposed to take a picture of a mid-body with the front seats touching the back seats.

Funny.  My F does that too, but only when the seat is back beyond the last detent.

Would not recommend flying with it there.  My wife did that a while back, scared herself when the seat slid, I am very lucky in that she won't touch the controls under the best situation so did not try to grab the yoke.  Now when I ask if seatbelts are fastened and seats locked in place, she really checks rather than just answering YES.