Mooney down with fatalities

XXX

7 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I just don't want to be sitting next to a guy whose time has come.

The odds of it being his time increase exponentially if he focuses on the 'fun' of flying, at the expense of the 'work' of flying....always being on top of your flying and planning responsibilities.

Other than owner's skimping on maintenance, I believe this is the major cause of guys running out of 'luck'.

• Like 1

Just now, fantom said:

The odds of it being his time increase exponentially if he focuses on the 'fun' of flying, at the expense of the 'work' of flying....always being on top of your flying and planning responsibilities.

Other than owner's skimping on maintenance, I believe this is the major cause of guys running out of 'luck'.

My reply also applies to riding on a commercial carrier    :mellow:

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

My reply also applies to riding on a commercial carrier    :mellow:

Much better odds for you and your family of staying healthy on professionally flown commercial carriers, but not as much 'fun' for the weekend GA pilot.

The 'fun' of weekend GA flying is a grownup one, more like the peace of a meditative discipline, with little kinship to the passive rush of a roller coaster.  It's the flights where one best maintains calm focus that are the most personally enriching.  I hope the deceased pilot here found great personal enrichment from his hobby, and that those who mourn him find a modicum of comfort in recognizing that.  It's a rare and wonderful privilege that we get to experience in our fleeting lives.  

As for the added risk to passengers, the rewards for them may not be quite at the same level.  I've as yet to find my own peace with this issue.

3 hours ago, DXB said:

The 'fun' of weekend GA flying is a grownup one, more like the peace of a meditative discipline, with little kinship to the passive rush of a roller coaster.  It's the flights where one best maintains calm focus that are the most personally enriching.  I hope the deceased pilot here found great personal enrichment from his hobby, and that those who mourn him find a modicum of comfort in recognizing that.  It's a rare and wonderful privilege that we get to experience in our fleeting lives.  

As for the added risk to passengers, the rewards for them may not be quite at the same level.  I've as yet to find my own peace with this issue.

Dev -- for me the lure of general aviation is that no matter how much time I spend trying to master it, I still am learning and evolving my flying skills. If you are around it long enough, you lose friends and even have your own close experiences with the risks. Perhaps that is the allure, like putting your head in the mouth of a lion and hope it doesn't chop down on it. I have never lost my healthy respect for the activity. Just like when I go cycling. I ride like a scared rabbit constantly aware of my environment. It is when you let your guard down or become complacent when the lion might get you.

I also never, ever want to hear someone say "he died doing what he loved to do".

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Passengers typically disturb this state of mind for me, which is one of a couple reasons I really prefer flying without them.

I'm the exact opposite. I hate flying by myself and don't do it unless I have a mission to complete, such as delivering the plane for its annual.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Dev -- for me the lure of general aviation is that no matter how much time I spend trying to master it, I still am learning and evolving my flying skills. If you are around it long enough, you lose friends and even have your own close experiences with the risks. Perhaps that is the allure, like putting your head in the mouth of a lion and hope it doesn't chop down on it.

Yeah I agree.  I love the immediate and continuous returns on any invested effort to improve.  Just try to get that kind of return on investment with a golf swing :mellow:.  And am glad to here there's no plateau in the satisfaction of learning from much more advanced folks. Sounds like the need to rededicate yourself to staying out of the lions mouth with with every flight will always be there too...

Good to see how many of us are constantly striving to improve our flying skills. I started flying in 1956 (not a typo), and I still attend at least 10 Wings seminars a year, and at the end of every flight I evaluate what I did wrong, and right, and how I could improve on the next flight. I don't think I ever had a "perfect" flight, but most are damn good, and certainly safe. I've had my share of in flight "situations", and said "unable" more than once, and declared an emergency while up in the flight levels, not to mention losing vacuum pumps in IMC (twice). In no case did I ever forget to keep flying the airplane, and not waste too much time in trying to fix the problem to the extent of distraction from flying the basics. I hardly ever carry a passenger - just my personal risk assessment. Flying was once a great business tool for me, and It still is, but more limited than in the past. I fly on the days and times where risk is relatively low, and where and when I can savor the enjoyment of flight.

I was once a bold pilot - probably a bit too bold, but I've managed to get to the age where I am just an old, no longer bold pilot. Lot of luck along with never letting my guard down.

• Like 8

On June 14, 2016 at 7:11 PM, carl said:

Todd is a friend of mine.

He was on his way up to St Louis.

He is canopyman on here ( he owns Todd's canopies)

I don't know what to do. 

carl

I'm so sorry Carl. I am very near where Todd went down. Can you tell us the age of the daughter I am assuming is still in the hospital ? Any update on her condition ? Also, I know on Todds website it gives the email of a daughter. I'm assuming that is another older daughter ? I'm gone (your direction) for the weekend but do you know if the family needs anything in Chattanooga ? Tony

Some unthought out thoughts...

Spend some money in your friends honor.  Buy some training.  Thank him for his guidance.

Life is dangerous.  Jogging for your health can be unhealthy.

There is also an update at Todd's site regarding requests for Gabriella...

http://www.toddscanopies.com

I started writing this response, then went flying, bumped into a MS friend along the way... (The E project flys nicely)

Be brave, be smart, never give up.  Then, pay it forward. (If and when you can)  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

And everyday i get up dust myself down and go out into the world again.  

Good term to use as I can certainly relate. Dust yourself off, and place one foot in front of the other. It doesn't get better, it just gets easier.

• Like 1

Hey Tony , Gaby is 12 years old , Todd's youngest , His oldest daughter Kelly is married so I guess about 20 -21 .

none of them lived with Todd , they lived with Todd's ex wife, and were just flying up for a family reunion.  Todd's current wife did not attend. Todd and Tatiana ( Tanya) live in Oakland park fla .

18 hours ago, Tony Armour said:

I'm so sorry Carl. I am very near where Todd went down. Can you tell us the age of the daughter I am assuming is still in the hospital ? Any update on her condition ? Also, I know on Todds website it gives the email of a daughter. I'm assuming that is another older daughter ? I'm gone (your direction) for the weekend but do you know if the family needs anything in Chattanooga ? Tony

Hyett and flyboy are right

carl

• Like 1