Charts on GTN750

Okay..I've had my GTN-750 a few years now and as a VFR guy used it for my VFR needs. As posted prior I've been working on my IFR on my own (primarily ground school and practicing approaches using the GTN750 and Ipad). I've been doing as much as possible on my own to get a handle on the procedures etc..My plane goes in the shop next month for some avionics upgrades so to not waste money I have not seeked the advice of a CFI instruction just yet because with the planned upgrades it will be like starting all over getting familiar with the new avionics.

I'll continue with what I've been doing. I think it will benefit me to learn basic IFR approaches and aircraft management even before CFI work.

Back to topic.. I've never really used the chart functions on the GTN750, I've just compensated when needed with IPad and whatever portable I was using.

Here is what I've been trying to figure out..The 750 will load an approach, activate etc and display IAF points on the regular moving map. If I try to display charts it reads "Charts Unavailable" or something along those lines. As I've been practicing lately I've just defaulted to the IPad charts when needed. I think I have the most recent data and software updates on the 750. It will show the regular moving map and approach fixes. Just won't display the charts. I'm sure it's probably a $ add-on from Garmin or Jep, but odd it does not display any charts at all? I have not asked my avionics shop yet, but I have done several forum searches and Youtube searches. I'm overlooking something, maybe not programming correctly or just don't have a correct subscription. I've been making good progress with the IFR and look forward to really getting to the meat of it after the avionics upgrades.

Now...where are those darn charts on my 750? Any help? Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

-Tom 

Tom, the charts are a separate subscription. Go to flygarmin.com and study the databases and the packages (pilotpak) which offer a discount for multiple databases. I get 

US Standard + FliteCharts PilotPak $972.00 USD Including NavData, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Terrain, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

The FlightCharts (or Jeppesen charts) are just that. The instrument approach plates. They are not necessary to fly the approach. Well, they're necessary but they do not have to be in the 750. The nav data includes the procedures needed. You can have paper or ipad charts to get all the info associated with the approach.

If you have flitecharts in the 750 they are superimposed in white on the screen when the approach is loaded. And they can be pulled up from the waypoint tab on the main page and will look like what you see on your ipad. Normally I would review the possible approaches while in route. 

I also have the charts on my GPS 696. It is nice to zoom in there on the descent profile to see altitude step downs. 

• Like 1

Bob, That's what I thought.. I was hoping I might have a "freebie" in my GTN750 paperwork. While trying to figure this out I noticed still had the coupon for the free first time update wit the CD tutorial and POH. It downloaded the coupon code even though it said good for 90 days after purchase..it's been three years, it still validated through 2016 with all data with exception of the charts. That's the only one it did not take. I'm assuming like you said because it is a separate subscription..Go figure..I may just keep using the Ipad until the Aspens are put in and go from there. There's going to be plenty of a learning curve as is. Thanks..

-Tom

You can actually see how the Map Chart function works by going to Demo mode setting a position close to the airport, setting a speed and altitude, entering a flight plan, and an approach to the airport.  The plane will be superimposed on the plan view of the Chart, georeferenced in track view.  You could also go to the Chart itself and see the plane on the Chart, but georeferenced in North up view only.

Don't forget to enable Charts in the Map Menu.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

You can actually see how the Map Chart function works by going to Demo mode setting a position close to the airport, setting a speed and altitude, entering a flight plan, and an approach to the airport.  The plane will be superimposed on the plan view of the Chart, georeferenced.  You could also go to the Chart itself and see the plane on the Chart, but in North up view only.

Thanks Don..I'll check it out this evening.

Hey Tom not to go off point since you have started some of the technical stuff I'd try to get a safety pilot and work on flying under the hood and the sequencing of the flow of your scan. The more you get done now you'll have the savings later, hopefully your copilot or check pilot will be instrument rated. There are a lot of good books on Ifr flying which will give you valuable tips and insight to precision flight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyboy0681 said:

I thought the chart feature had to first be unlocked at a onetime cost of something like $1,500.

That's for the Jeppesen Charts. Garmin provides charts that I think are more like the NOAA format for which no added charge, except the subscription. 

11 hours ago, TWinter said:

Bob, That's what I thought.. I was hoping I might have a "freebie" in my GTN750 paperwork. While trying to figure this out I noticed still had the coupon for the free first time update wit the CD tutorial and POH. It downloaded the coupon code even though it said good for 90 days after purchase..it's been three years, it still validated through 2016 with all data with exception of the charts. That's the only one it did not take. I'm assuming like you said because it is a separate subscription..Go figure..I may just keep using the Ipad until the Aspens are put in and go from there. There's going to be plenty of a learning curve as is. Thanks..

-Tom

Tom, you mention Aspens (as in plural).  Have you ruled out a G500?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danb said:

Tom I may be landing at Kmkl on Tuesday not far from dyersburg enroute to Tx., if your at the airport I could land there if your hanging out. Fly safe

Dan

Dan, Sounds great. Be great to meet you. If near lunch time we can grab lunch and talk Mooney. Call me at 731-287-7800. I should be around all day.

10 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Tom, you mention Aspens (as in plural).  Have you ruled out a G500?

Steven..Quick to pick up on the plurals on Aspens. Thanks to input from all of you I have decided to sink more $ into the endless hole. I had already ordered the Aspen Pro + and thanks to the input from a few forum members I also decided to add the companion MFD1000. I know I missed out on your package, but I didn't have all my ducks lined up when you posted so I was not sure what the budget would handle. It all worked out pretty good. Obviously, I'll own this for a while..or my estate will. Well over invested, but should be a competent bird.

This was the final list after all and done. The surgery starts in July.

JPI-930

Aspen Pro Plus

Aspen MFD 1000

STec 30 A/P w/ GPSS

Electric Trim

Remote Garmin Audio Panel

USB Clock (mentioned in the other thread)

Remove/Replace Yokes with new 201 style.

If all goes well I have it scheduled for tank reseal and Monroy Long Range Tanks installed in October.

-Tom

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TWinter said:

Steven..Quick to pick up on the plurals on Aspens. Thanks to input from all of you I have decided to sink more $ into the endless hole. I had already ordered the Aspen Pro + and thanks to the input from a few forum members I also decided to add the companion MFD1000. I know I missed out on your package, but I didn't have all my ducks lined up when you posted so I was not sure what the budget would handle. It all worked out pretty good. Obviously, I'll own this for a while..or my estate will. Well over invested, but should be a competent bird.

This was the final list after all and done. The surgery starts in July.

JPI-930

Aspen Pro Plus

Aspen MFD 1000

STec 30 A/P w/ GPSS

Electric Trim

Remote Garmin Audio Panel

USB Clock (mentioned in the other thread)

Remove/Replace Yokes with new 201 style.

If all goes well I have it scheduled for tank reseal and Monroy Long Range Tanks installed in October.

-Tom

my, your only missing a Lynx 9000! You will have a very nice setup with a lot of redundancy Tom.

Just now, mike_elliott said:

my, your only missing a Lynx 9000! You will have a very nice setup with a lot of redundancy Tom.

Spent my allowance about two years ago when I had the GTN750 put in GDL88 Diversified and Flight Stream 210... I know overkill on a 74 E model..  :)

5 hours ago, TWinter said: Spent my allowance about two years ago when I had the GTN750 put in GDL88 Diversified and Flight Stream 210... I know overkill on a 74 E model.. 

Don't talk crazy talk.

Yeah, what's wrong with that guy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yeah, what's wrong with that guy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mostly blame Chris and Bob and classify it under a mental disorder,  "panel envy" ..As we say down south, "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it".

-Tom

• Like 2

I thought my panel updating was done, but as new products come to market I find myself continuing to modify it.  It's apparently an addiction.  So far this year I've replaced the ESI 2000 with the ESI 500 and I now have a GTX 335 on order to replace my GTX 330ES because I never have liked the display of the 330ES.  The small losses on resale have been tolerable for the benefits gained.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

I thought my panel updating was done, but as new products come to market I find myself continuing to modify it.  It's apparently an addiction.  So far this year I've replaced the ESI 2000 with the ESI 500 and I now have a GTX 335 on order to replace my GTX 330ES because I never have liked the display of the 330ES.  The small losses on resale have been tolerable for the benefits gained.

The small losses on resale have been tolerable for the benefits gained.  Don, That's my kind of logic... :) My problem is I never come out ahead..

-Tom

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this three year old topic but it starts out close to what I am experiencing. My GTN-750 had everything out of date and my Chart option on the GTN-750 indicated "NOT AVAILABLE" when I selected it from the home menu. I'm about to begin my IR training so, I decided to go ahead and bring everything current including the Charts functionality.

I purchased the "United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak " bundle and used FlyGarming to create new SD cards. I was able to successfully update my G600 and GTN-750 or so it seemed, all my expiration dates moved out to 2019. However, my Charts functionality still shows as unavailable. So, I called Garmin and talked to a support tech. He decided that my GTN-750 was configured for Jeppesen Charts and wouldn't work with the FliteCharts from Garmin unless I took it to a dealer avionics shop to have it reconfigured.

Can anyone confirm this to be true or false? It seems like I should just be able to switch it back to Garmin Flight Charts. Is that possible without going to a dealer avionics shop?

Any help would be great....

Thanks

True that if the GTN750 configuration is set to Jeppesen charts the Garmin charts won’t function.    
Also true that if you switch off the Jeppesen charts you can not turn that option on again unless you have the original SD “enablement” card to unlock that feature.  
One can put the GTN750 into configuration mode easily enough and switch off the Jeppesen chart mode.