Charts on GTN750

13 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

One can put the GTN750 into configuration mode easily enough and switch off the Jeppesen chart mode.  

Thanks for your reply. That helps. Can you point me to a resource for instruction on how to do it? I have the manuals and am reading them but have not yet located instructions that seem to help.

I see references to holding the Home key on startup to enter configuration mode.

Unlocking the unit to use Jepps costs something like two grand if I recall. Did you pay for that?

The unit displays the standard charts issued by the government at no extra cost. The cheapest Garmin subscription includes them and they can be superimposed on the display.

Here is the page from the installation document on enabling either feature. To get into the configuration menu, press the HOME button while the unit starts up.

image.thumb.png.87d34e02448498ac7aba7731ff57561d.png

• Like 1

If you go into the 750 config mode and disable the Jeppesen charts you will NOT be able to enable them again without the enablement card ($1800). DON’T DO THIS unless you have the enablement card and are sure you don’t want to use Jeppesen charts.

For similar to what Garmin charges, you can get a Jeppesen subscription that will give you the Jeppesen approach plates on foreflight and on your GTN.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 8:41 AM, ilovecornfields said:

If you go into the 750 config mode and disable the Jeppesen charts you will NOT be able to enable them again without the enablement card ($1800). DON’T DO THIS unless you have the enablement card and are sure you don’t want to use Jeppesen charts.

For similar to what Garmin charges, you can get a Jeppesen subscription that will give you the Jeppesen approach plates on foreflight and on your GTN.

I have these. Are these what you are talking about?

cards.thumb.jpg.720c9083d7d2fa201415e3126e57a8c0.jpg

On 10/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Unlocking the unit to use Jepps costs something like two grand if I recall. Did you pay for that?

The unit displays the standard charts issued by the government at no extra cost. The cheapest Garmin subscription includes them and they can be superimposed on the display.

Here is the page from the installation document on enabling either feature. To get into the configuration menu, press the HOME button while the unit starts up.

image.thumb.png.87d34e02448498ac7aba7731ff57561d.png

I did not pay for it but I think the previous owner did.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:41 AM, ilovecornfields said:

Also, apparently, I already bought the FliteCharts with my Garmin Bundle. Are you suggesting I should just get a Jeppesen subscription? The FliteCharts from Garmin cost about $150 per year when purchased in the bundle I purchased.

Just to summarize, I have a "new to me" plane with G600/GTN750/GTN650. I'm trying to get everything up-to-date and configured to do my IFR training.

Thanks for the help you guys provided above. It looks like the previous owner bought the SD cards that enable ChartView for the G600 and the GTN750, two cards displayed in the pic I posted above. Apparently, those cars cost $1995 each. So, obviously, someone thought using the Jeppesen Charts was a really good idea. I'm certain they are more knowledgeable than me about the subject.

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1753-jeppesen-chartview.aspx

https://www.globalaviation24.com/en/Avionik/Miscellaneous/Chartview-GTN.html

In my ignorance, I purchased the United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak bundle from Garmin for $799 with the intention of having "everything" for all of my devices. I was especially wanting the Charts. I could have purchased the United States Standard OnePak bundle for $649 but it doesn't have the charts.

I created the SD cards, one for each device, using the FlyGarming app for Windows. When I used them to update my avionics, everything updated to new expiration dates. (YEA!)

However, both the G600 and the GTN750 still would not let me access the chart functionality.

I called Garmin and they said I'd need to go to a dealer to get my equipment reconfigured for FliteCharts which seemed silly to me. Apparently, I am right about that as apparently (I haven't tried yet), I can make the change myself by going to the Chart Configuration Page of my GTN750 (not sure what would need to be done with the G600).

From what I can tell, using the FliteCharts is a step backward in capability and considering how much money was spent to enable Jeppesen Charts, I should probably just go ahead and get the Jeppesen subscription and use the Jeppesen Charts.

I would do the Jeppesen charts and cancel the Garmin subscription. You can’t enable Garmin charts and Jeppesen charts at the same time which is why they’re not showing up on your G600/GTN750.

I can’t find the webpage easily but if you call Jeppesen I’m sure they can quote you the price for their package. Last time I looked it was about $200 more than Garmin’s but I have always used Jeppesen charts so it’s worth it for me and it includes charts in foreflight.

PM me if you need help getting it figured out.

• Like 1

Just to summarize, I have a "new to me" plane with G600/GTN750/GTN650. I'm trying to get everything up-to-date and configured to do my IFR training.
Thanks for the help you guys provided above. It looks like the previous owner bought the SD cards that enable ChartView for the G600 and the GTN750, two cards displayed in the pic I posted above. Apparently, those cars cost $1995 each. So, obviously, someone thought using the Jeppesen Charts was a really good idea. I'm certain they are more knowledgeable than me about the subject.
https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1753-jeppesen-chartview.aspx
https://www.globalaviation24.com/en/Avionik/Miscellaneous/Chartview-GTN.html
In my ignorance, I purchased the United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak bundle from Garmin for $799 with the intention of having "everything" for all of my devices. I was especially wanting the Charts. I could have purchased the United States Standard OnePak bundle for $649 but it doesn't have the charts.
I created the SD cards, one for each device, using the FlyGarming app for Windows. When I used them to update my avionics, everything updated to new expiration dates. (YEA!)
However, both the G600 and the GTN750 still would not let me access the chart functionality.
I called Garmin and they said I'd need to go to a dealer to get my equipment reconfigured for FliteCharts which seemed silly to me. Apparently, I am right about that as apparently (I haven't tried yet), I can make the change myself by going to the Chart Configuration Page of my GTN750 (not sure what would need to be done with the G600).
From what I can tell, using the FliteCharts is a step backward in capability and considering how much money was spent to enable Jeppesen Charts, I should probably just go ahead and get the Jeppesen subscription and use the Jeppesen Charts.

I would get the Jepp charts. I miss mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

There are so many combinations of subscriptions.  While I love Jeppesen, their charts aren't necessary on the G600 and GTN 750.  The Garmin Flightcharts do just fine for that purpose.  I could be wrong, but at present I don't think Jeppesen is compatible with database concierge for the FS 510.  Now THAT IS useful for uploading databases to the 750/650 and G600.  With Garmin's OnePac subscription you get updates to all their databases, database concierge capability, all databases for one handheld GPS, and additionally get the IFR upgrade to Garmin Pilot.  I then buy a Jeppesen subscription to the iPad which also comes with all Charts free for one handheld, in my case the Aera 796.  My primary is the Aera 796 with Chartview (and Flightcharts) with the iPad as backup.  The Flightcharts work well for additional non north up geo-referenced plan view on the 750 and G500/G600.  I secured the Chartview card for the 750, but haven't used it yet, because yet another large price Jeppesen subscription would be necessary, and I just don't see the benefit in doing that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, donkaye said:

There are so many combinations of subscriptions.  While I love Jeppesen, their charts aren't necessary on the G600 and GTN 750.  The Garmin Flightcharts do just fine for that purpose. 

I actually find overlaying the chart on the map during an approach makes for a very busy display and I usually have it turned off. I much better prefer the iPad for that function.

• Like 1

I carry 2 iPads and I still print out the airport diagram and the 2 most likely approaches I expect to fly. Just in case.

A couple of pieces of paper to take notes on is pretty handy, and if my iPad overheats or falls on the floor it’s nice to have. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I carry 2 iPads and I still print out the airport diagram and the 2 most likely approaches I expect to fly. Just in case.

A couple of pieces of paper to take notes on is pretty handy, and if my iPad overheats or falls on the floor it’s nice to have. 

I find that I am basically comfortable with 4 sources of electronic charts (no paper necessary) with 3 different power sources: G500TXi and GTN 750 (Power source 1), Aera 796 (Power source 2), iPad (Power source 3) ;)  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I find that I am basically comfortable with 4 sources of electronic charts (no paper necessary) with 3 different power sources: G500TXi and GTN 750 (Power source 1), Aera 796 (Power source 2), iPad (Power source 3)   

Don, seems to me that’s gilding the lily. (Myself, I make do with just 3 - 750, 696, GP on IPad.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, so I drove out to the plane with my new found knowledge. I have the Jeppesen ChartView activation SD cards so I decided to see what I can do. On the GTN-750, it was easy to enter Configuration Mode, go to the Chart Options Page and switch from ChartView to FliteCharts. It's true that it does not let you just switch it back to ChartView though. So, currently, the Charts on my 750 are working with Garmin FliteCharts.

The G600 seems to be a different story. I was able to boot up the G600 into what I thought was Configuration Mode but really it was just a view of the settings that didn't allow me to change anything. Further research indicates, I need something called a "Installer Unlock Card" in order to make changes there. From the Garmin Manual:

To enter into Configuration Mode for the G600 system, verify that the GDU 620 is off and the Installer Unlock Card, P/N 010-00769-60 is installed in the bottom card slot of the GDU 620. Apply power to the GDU 620 while holding the ENT key. Release the ENT key when “INITIALIZING SYSTEM” appears in the upper left corner of the display.

I don't have one of these cards unless it's hidden somewhere in the big box of documents I received when I took possession of the plane. I'm starting to sense that this card may be something reserved for "official" technicians. Can anyone confirm? Can we get one of these?

So, at them moment, I have FliteCharts on my 750 and my G600 is configured for Jeppesen ChartView but I don't have a Jeppesen subscription.

I did notice that looking at the FliteCharts on my 750 was significantly inferior to viewing on my iPad with GarminPilot. The 750 is pixelated and I have to zoom in to make out the text which means the bulk of the Chart is not visible. Also, I think I would really prefer to be looking at the charts on my PFD but I wont really know until I try.

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

with 3 different power sources: G500TXi and GTN 750 (Power source 1), Aera 796 (Power source 2), iPad (Power source 3) ;)  

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Don, seems to me that’s gilding the lily. (Myself, I make do with just 3 - 750, 696, GP on IPad.)

Interestingly, for all 3 of us, we are comfortable with triple redundancy.  (My printed copies are my third power source- sunlight!)

I feel like I'm in good company with you two, even if I am the CB of the group.

• Like 1

I find @donkaye’s recklessness terrifying with only 4 sources of charts! I have them on my G500, GTN750, Aera 796, two iPads and my iPhone (six for those that were counting). I guess I could print out the approach plates on foreflight online beforehand, but that would just be silly!

In all honesty, the iPad Pro and iPad mini are really the only ones I use for the charts. I forgot my ipads once (I wasn’t planning on flying, but couldn’t resist since it was such a nice day) so it’s nice to know they’re on the G500 and GTN but the image quality is definitely iPad>>GTN>aera 796>G500. G500txi is probably a different story but I have no experience flying with one.

Don, I still have that picture of you putting your Aera 796 on the yoke (right under my aera 796). Not pictured was the iPad on my yoke and the G500, GTN 750 and 650. If I remember correctly, we did not get lost that night!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

I find @donkaye’s recklessness terrifying with only 4 sources of charts! I have them on my G500, GTN750, Aera 796, two iPads and my iPhone (six for those that were counting). I guess I could print out the approach plates on foreflight online beforehand, but that would just be silly!

In all honesty, the iPad Pro and iPad mini are really the only ones I use for the charts. I forgot my ipads once (I wasn’t planning on flying, but couldn’t resist since it was such a nice day) so it’s nice to know they’re on the G500 and GTN but the image quality is definitely iPad>>GTN>aera 796>G500. G500txi is probably a different story but I have no experience flying with one.

Don, I still have that picture of you putting your Aera 796 on the yoke (right under my aera 796). Not pictured was the iPad on my yoke and the G500, GTN 750 and 650. If I remember correctly, we did not get lost that night!

No, we didn't.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ReconMax said:

I don't have one of these cards unless it's hidden somewhere in the big box of documents I received when I took possession of the plane. I'm starting to sense that this card may be something reserved for "official" technicians. Can anyone confirm? Can we get one of these?

Only available to the Dealer.  You need to pay them a visit.  The change should take 5 minutes at the most.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donkaye said:

Only available to the Dealer.  You need to pay them a visit.  The change should take 5 minutes at the most.

Okay. Thanks. I may leave the G600 on Jeppesen for now and go ahead and get a subscription and try it out so that I have ChartView on my G600 and FliteCharts on my GTN750. I guess that's possible. Then I will be able to determine which I like better because I just don't know what I'd be missing either way at the moment.

Thanks for all your help MooneySpace!

54 minutes ago, ReconMax said:

I may leave the G600 on Jeppesen for now and go ahead and get a subscription and try it out so that I have ChartView on my G600 and FliteCharts on my GTN750

I wouldn’t do that. The resolution on the G500/600 isn’t that great and you’re going to be paying a lot of money just to have charts on the G500. It will probably be cheaper to buy an iPad mini every year than to get charts just for the G600. 

• Like 1

To add to the previous two posters it might be a good idea to start a relationship with a local dealer with all that glass to maintain. Can’t think of a better way than a quick unlock trip...it will give you the charts for free on your 500 with the Garmin one stop shopping plan. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

To add to the previous two posters it might be a good idea to start a relationship with a local dealer with all that glass to maintain. Can’t think of a better way than a quick unlock trip...it will give you the charts for free on your 500 with the Garmin one stop shopping plan. 

Yes. I think things are kind of building to this. I need to find an avionics shop in the Austin area that I can work with. Need someone friendly and knowledgeable. I hope I can find someone who is willing to help out with the little things.

There are probably already topics about finding a good avionics shop so, I'll go see what I can find.