MAPA Members

Are any of you MAPA members (Mooney Aircraft Pilots Association)? I was considering joining but wanted to hear from some members. From a vintage owner standpoint, what are the advantages of joining? Don't know if I'll ever get around to attending the seminars they hold if I was a member.

I'm already using Falcon Insurance with the AOPA discount. Is there an additional discount for MAPA members?

Thanks for your input!

The magazine they publish contains useful bits of information most of the time, and you'll get a nice window sticker with MAPA logo.  The big plus is Trey's knowledge and contact network that sometime will come in handy during ownership of your bird...  He has helped me out with the factory in Kerrville a couple of times now that they're "hibernating" and I needed assistance.

I agree with the networking advantage.  The magazine is also something that I look forward to reading as well.  Some shops offer MAPA discounts on either parts or services.  They also have an email based bulletin board as well.  All in all, I think it is important to support our ownership group. 

By the way, I love the Aspen in your photo...

Aaron

• 4 weeks later...

Are you one of the Ferris family?

While I'm on the point, why is it that so few of those on this (and other) lists, don't use their actual names.  I had earlier suggested that everyone put their picture in their gallery.  I would add that it would be nice if everyone had their name in there somewhere.  I like to have names and faces to go with posts.

Don

Quote: DonMuncy

Are you one of the Ferris family?

While I'm on the point, why is it that so few of those on this (and other) lists, don't use their actual names.  I had earlier suggested that everyone put their picture in their gallery.  I would add that it would be nice if everyone had their name in there somewhere.  I like to have names and faces to go with posts.

Don

Ditto on recommending All American.  I've bought (are you sitting down?) 4, yes f-o-u-r, Mooneys from them since 2003, all step-ups.  Jimmy will not screw you over.

Quote: Rustler

LWH--

I bought my 1980 M20J in October from All American Aircraft in San Antonio: http://www.allamerican-aircraft.com/

Yep, they're brokers, but I can tell you without any hesitation that everything they told me and everything about all the planes I looked at was true. No hype, no BS, no jive. And I got a real good deal. The beauty of dealing with Jimmy is that he almost always has a lot of airplanes at his location, and you can look 'til your heart and wallet are content. I recognize that it is a good ways from Springfield, but San Antonio is real nice this time of year, especially when compared to the upper Midwest.

Congratulations on your choice, welcome to the forum, and good luck in your hunt.

• 5 months later...

Fantom says  that Thursday is a "non MAPA" scheduled evening.  If that is the case, I would be up for a get-together at Cowboy Steak House on Thursday.  I say this with some caution, as Friday has always been the evening of the Ice Cream Social at MAPA, and since this year we are starting a day earlier than usual, will this move the Ice Cream to Thursday?  I have not yet seen a schedule of eventsfor the convention.  If someone would give Trey or Lela a call and find out, we could settle on a day and time.  I suspect David would appreciate knowing a firm night and a tenative list of who will be there.

Keep everyone posted; we don't have too many days between now and then.

Don Muncy 214 360-9293

Ice Cream Social is on Wednesday, but dinner that night is open, unless all you want is ice cream ;-) Trey and Lela are up to their necks with last minute details, I'm sure. Here's the schedule from the MAPA website:

http://mooneypilots.com/forms/convention/2009%20Tentative%20Agenda.pdf

Open night is Thursday, so let's plan it for then, and I'm in for 4 people. Hope to see you there, Don.

BTW, I sent a PM to David several days ago, but no reply yet. No matter, as we can set it up while we're in Kerrville, and we know where the Cowboy Steak House is. I'll have a car. 

Alright guys; we need to either decide what time we are going to the Cowboy Steakhouse, or work out some way to identify each other (room numbers, cell phone numbers etc) so we can organize our get-together when we get to Kerrville.

Don Muncy Cell 214 207-6744

Not to worry, Don, we will find each other. By Thursday night we'll probaby know everybody and I'll make it a point to find you. Figure 7 PM for dinner but we'll post something on the Message board.

I hope David is monitoring this........

• 3 weeks later...

MAPA was fine, and a bunch of us (15) got together at the Cowboy Steak House. I even got in touch with David, who keeps himself busy as a single father of two teenage boys, handling marketing for the Steak House, and looking for a Mooney to buy.

The steaks and service were superb, as was the company. We even got to meet David and his parents. His father shared some memories of working at the Mooney factory "way back when", and what Al Mooney himself was all about. I believe a fine time was had by all.