Flying in Argentina

Oscar Avalle

The roads aren't all too good in that part of the world, so I imagine having an aircraft can really help to get places.  That said, a Mooney might not be my choice of steed down there, since a lot of the runways aren't all that good either...

You need a plane able to load cargo. Many of these flights are for getting goods at the city. Some doctors and dentist have smaller planes to attend their town offices or emergencies. Unlike in the US many of the small towns are remote with no highway access. On many towns there is no airstrip you just land at a nearby road or farm. 

José

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steingar said:

The roads aren't all too good in that part of the world, so I imagine having an aircraft can really help to get places.  That said, a Mooney might not be my choice of steed down there, since a lot of the runways aren't all that good either...

I don't know, both of those runways looked fine and the road between them looked fine as well.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly my Mooney to Argentina. I think it would be an amazing trip. Actually, I'd just like to visit Argentina. I've only visited a little over 50 countries and Argentina isn't one of them... yet.

14 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I don't know, both of those runways looked fine and the road between them looked fine as well.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly my Mooney to Argentina. I think it would be an amazing trip. Actually, I'd just like to visit Argentina. I've only visited a little over 50 countries and Argentina isn't one of them... yet.

My experience in limited, but the ones I've seen were neither asphalt or smooth.  The one in my brothers barrio in Guatemala is grass (kinda) and none too smooth.  More a strip for a Supercub than a Mooney.  I'd not hesitate to take the Mooney down there myself.  There are good runways, but from what I've seen they're few and far between.

• Like 1

Look, having lived and flown my Mooney abroad, I would say that overall it is not too difficult. As long as you accept flying without ADS B, good weather reporting, good radar coverage... etc. But on the other hand the places you can go are amazing. Guatemala for example had some very good airports and the Aeroclub of Guatemala, owned three grass strips and one nice airport. You could fly there (as you may have seen from my videos) and the infrastructure was not to bad. Would I take my Mooney to Argentina...? may be...

Oscar

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 9:57 AM, daver328 said:

I wonder, with the rationing, would gas be available ???

Could you trust it, even after they told you it would be availible?

Will there be electricity to pump the gas ... if from ground tank?

Better to acquire some reliable resources from in the country first. Preferably ... With references.

I've had Margarita (sp?) Island "on my radar" for a while as a possible destination ... That's just a long ways! (Been to Aruba for vacation and work many times. Just 16 miles away ... and a whole different world.)

I guess you must be referring to Venezuela. In Argentina there is no rationing...

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

It's ok, most American's suck at Geography.

maxresdefault.jpg

What kind of middle school this news anchor went to?:huh: The line below say it all.

But she is not the only. Cristobal Colon swear he was in India when he was actually in the Bahamas. Following this they called the natives Indians. And to confuse the issue more we called them American Indians. So how do you call an Americanized guy from India? 

I used to work with a young guy from India. He said there are two kinds of Indians:  this kind (touching his forehead between his eyes) and that kind (holding two fingers up behind his head). Then he laughed, and so did I.