Small Children and Avgas: Lead exposure

Just now, bonal said:

seems to me the more they have gotten the lead out of everything the more kids seem to have ADHD and other problems that relate to hyper activity.  seems like it worked as a natural form of lithium that they now have to prescribe to a very high percentage of kids these days...just sayin

I think the kids are the same as always, the parents have gone crazy!

• Like 3

Just now, bonal said: seems to me the more they have gotten the lead out of everything the more kids seem to have ADHD and other problems that relate to hyper activity.  seems like it worked as a natural form of lithium that they now have to prescribe to a very high percentage of kids these days...just sayin

I think the kids are the same as always, the parents have gone crazy!

Nah that's all the "screen time"! So don't let the kiddos fly G1000!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As an additional light into the reasons for this topic:

1.  I have moderately severe asthma and feel my normal asthmatic distress prior to an asthma attack (higher pulse, deep breathing, light sweating, chest pain, tiredness, an an anxiousness, and more when  encountering light hypoxia).  Though my daughter shows no signs of asthma or my issues, I am personally terrified that she may develop it (I already had multiple allergies and croup by the time I was 12 months).  However, we've been diligent as to the way we introduced foods that I have issues with.  She's a health happy kid.  I have supplemental O2 for me when I do go high.  I tend to stay below 10,000, usually 9,000 without O2 even though I've flown at 12,400 before for a few hours (which is when I decided I needed portable O2) for future flights.  

2.  Lead poisoning.  I have a extended family member who was exposed to moderate lead paint (showed up in his blood at his 2 year check up) as a small child and he did have issues with focus, following instructions, potty training (accidents often, like daily, until 6), and controlling inhibitions.  He may have been like that anyway, but I believe the lead was a factor.  

So, just doing my due diligence.  

I firmly believe kids don't learn without falling, going out, being independent, but I'm on kid 1 and I'm sure by kid 3 I'll just throw them in the airplane without thinking.

Still on first kid syndrome.  

Not it a helicopter parent at all (maybe a fixed wing parent?  Or a Laminar Flow Wing parent ;))

-Seth

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thats the sugar and chemicals in all their food.  In the UK we have had whole schools have the parents and schools switch to basic "cave man" diets eveything organic and fresh.  ADHD etc all disappeared, kids became all calm and just normal kids  Amazing huh!  

Please provide a link or citation about this.  I've never seen a legitimate scientific study that supports any of that. The link between sugar and hyperactivity has been debunked. http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/busting-sugar-hyperactivity-myth

23 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thats the sugar and chemicals in all their food.  In the UK we have had whole schools have the parents and schools switch to basic "cave man" diets eveything organic and fresh.  ADHD etc all disappeared, kids became all calm and just normal kids  Amazing huh!  

Like so many things, perception sometimes becomes reality but not for ADHD. It is a disorder with several contributing causes. Diet does not seem to be one of them.

I wonder if all the aversion to common, everyday exposure has somehow reduced the ability of our immune system to protect us today. It may not be a bad thing to "get out and get dirty" 

After all..........

Salt is bad for you.......... nope!

Butter is bad for you........ nope!

Coffee is bad for you........ nope!

I could go on..........

23 hours ago, Hyett6420 said: Thats the sugar and chemicals in all their food.  In the UK we have had whole schools have the parents and schools switch to basic "cave man" diets eveything organic and fresh.  ADHD etc all disappeared, kids became all calm and just normal kids  Amazing huh!  

Like so many things, perception sometimes becomes reality but not for ADHD. It is a disorder with several contributing causes. Diet does not seem to be one of them.

I wonder if all the aversion to common, everyday exposure has somehow reduced the ability of our immune system to protect us today. It may not be a bad thing to "get out and get dirty" 

After all..........

Salt is bad for you.......... nope!

Butter is bad for you........ nope!

Coffee is bad for you........ nope!

I could go on..........

Are large woman bad for you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Oh Jeff. How I missed you!!!!

XOXOXO

Bertha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jeff! I'll send you the bill from my ophthalmologist . . . we were doing just fine until you piped up!

9 hours ago, steingar said:

Good physiological mechanisms of how sugary food can lead to episodes of increased activity.  Hard to believe it doesn't happen.

It certainly seems like it could but the studies just don't support it. Here's a decent meta analysis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7474248/

Might be related to increased serotonin release that occurs when blood sugar spikes. 

Either way, short term blood sugar fluctuations wouldn't be related to persistent hyperactivity in kids with ADHD. 

11 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Either way, short term blood sugar fluctuations wouldn't be related to persistent hyperactivity in kids with ADHD. 

It would if they go to school after a sugary breakfast, eat a sugary morning snack, a lunch with sugary drink and dessert, then a sugary afternoon snack. That's an all-day-long blood sugar rollers caster, from high energy (can't concentrate) to low energy (can't pay attention, too sleepy). Throw in lackadaisical parenting with poor monitoring at home, and the kid has no chance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank said:

It would if they go to school after a sugary breakfast, eat a sugary morning snack, a lunch with sugary drink and dessert, then a sugary afternoon snack. That's an all-day-long blood sugar rollers caster, from high energy (can't concentrate) to low energy (can't pay attention, too sleepy). Throw in lackadaisical parenting with poor monitoring at home, and the kid has no chance.

Did you read the link?

"the studies to date found that sugar does not affect the behavior or cognitive performance of children. The strong belief of parents may be due to expectancy and common association."

ADHD is a complicated medical condition. My original point was that sugar is not a causal factor for that condition. Somehow this got sidetracked with short-term blood sugar level issues. 

If you are looking for a reason to not give kids lots of sugar it's obesity. Childhood and adult obesity is the number one health issue in this country and that is directly related to caloric intake. 

9 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

It certainly seems like it could but the studies just don't support it. Here's a decent meta analysis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7474248/

Just said there was a  good mechanism.  I know the data is so-so, though it often is when measuring human factors.  I love the ones showing Prozac is just a placebo.

9 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Might be related to increased serotonin release that occurs when blood sugar spikes. 

It is still formally possible that there's an unmeasured interaction between the genetics, physiological state, and glucose spikes.  I don't know the field that well, but I doubt there's data to conclusively rule that out.

42 minutes ago, steingar said:

Just said there was a  good mechanism.  I know the data is so-so, though it often is when measuring human factors.  I love the ones showing Prozac is just a placebo.

It is still formally possible that there's an unmeasured interaction between the genetics, physiological state, and glucose spikes.  I don't know the field that well, but I doubt there's data to conclusively rule that out.

Fair enough. As scientists we rarely deal with absolutes. ADHD is a neurological issue and blood glucose spikes are primarily physiological but there's no denying the role of glucose metabolism on brain function.

This isn't really my area of expertise either. My background is more general medicinal chemistry and small-molecule enzyme inhibitors. But, based on what I have seen ADHD appears to be primarily a neurotransmitter issue; specifically low dopamine and norepinephrine levels. Blood sugar spikes tend to increase dopamine levels. That combined with higher serotonin levels should result in a calming effect.

6 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Did you read the link?

"the studies to date found that sugar does not affect the behavior or cognitive performance of children. The strong belief of parents may be due to expectancy and common association."

My point was that teachers are seeing this behavior that is linked to sugar and calling it ADHD. Unless you really believe that a third of American schoolchildren have developed the same neurological disease in the course of just a few years? What mechanism could be responsible for the rapid spread of such a thing, while providing some increasing resistance at higher socio-economic levels??? Hmmm . . . . maybe misdiagnosis to get medical treatment [teachers taking the easy way out, with support/encouragement from Administration since there is increased government funding going to the school as ADHD rates rise] instead of enforcing behavior in the classroom and providing time to run around outside and burn off energy?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hank said:

My point was that teachers are seeing this behavior that is linked to sugar and calling it ADHD. Unless you really believe that a third of American schoolchildren have developed the same neurological disease in the course of just a few years? What mechanism could be responsible for the rapid spread of such a thing, while providing some increasing resistance at higher socio-economic levels??? Hmmm . . . . maybe misdiagnosis to get medical treatment [teachers taking the easy way out, with support/encouragement from Administration since there is increased government funding going to the school as ADHD rates rise] instead of enforcing behavior in the classroom and providing time to run around outside and burn off energy?

Well, those are really two separate issues. It seems likely that there could be over diagnosis of ADHD. I'm not really qualified to assess that. 

Assuming there is over diagnosis, is it caused by sugar? The research says it isn't. 

11 hours ago, N601RX said:

I would offer the thought that if these kids knew that bad behavior would get them 6 licks with a especially designed board in the office as well as more when they got home much of this behavior would go away. 

Boy that brings back memories. We had a principle when I was in junior high that had holes drilled in the board. He'd make 'ya lean over his desk, rub the board on your butt, rare back and swing...but stop just before contact. After you quit flinching he'd let 'er rip. I'm not sure it help stop the behavior though....I seemed to remember visiting his office on many occasions. :) 

• Like 1