Small Children and Avgas: Lead exposure

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ill tell you what.  Take 10 5yr olds.  Give 5 a carrot and somemsalad to eat, nothing on the salad just sald, with some ham on the side and some water.    Now give the other 5  some doughnuts, oreos, chocolate, and  full fat carbonated drink.  Wait 20 minutes and measure who is going bananas around the playground.  

QED

These kinds of tests have been run. Here’s a review of 12 studies where they compared kids with sugar intake to kids with placebo (http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408399609527717). None of the studies showed that the kids in the sugar group were any more hyperactive than the kids in the control group. Probably the most important aspect of these studies was that they were double-blind. Neither the kids nor the observers knew who was in which group. This is a critical aspect as it eliminates any possible observer-expectancy effect (seeing non-existent results because you expect to).

A study was run in 1994 to test observer-expectancy effect in hyperactivity(http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02168088). Kids were split into two groups. In the first group the mothers were told their kids were given sugar. In the second group the mothers were told that their kids were not given sugar. In reality neither group was given sugar. The group of mothers that thought their kids had eaten sugar reported observing significantly higher levels of hyperactivity in their kids.

So, if you ran your test and knew which kids had sugar and which had carrots you would likely report seeing a difference. If you ran the same test but you didn’t know which kids had the sugar you would not be able to identify which kids were in each group.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!

I really delved into the effect of lead on a developing brain and it is amazing what has been correlated.

So, my plan as mentioned would be to not let her be near where I dump the tanks and to discard of that fuel away from where she is located.

I do have a Carbon Monixide digital monitor in the aircraft and I don't have a issue with too much except just like others when sitting place for a while or during taxi with the door open.

Thanks again.

-Seth

BTW Seth, what you are suffering from is first time parentinitis. By the time the second one comes along, you'll be okay watching him/her eating dirt from the playground.

You'll also be subjected to the "why are there so many pictures of my brother/sister (first born) and none of me?"

The circle of life is a funny thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

BTW Seth, what you are suffering from is first time parentinitis. By the time the second one comes along, you'll be okay watching him/her eating dirt from the playground. emoji38.png

You'll also be subjected to the "why are there so many pictures of my brother/sister (first born) and none of me?"

The circle of life is a funny thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maurader, yes... the circle of life is really funny... 

Wait until the 4th...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

I actually think the whole thing is due to double whoppers and big Macs and hormones in meat. I for one have never had a problem with AV  gas, have enjoyed a splash over my martinis for years!

So you mean that's not Blue Curacao in my cocktail??   :blink:   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Chupacabra said:

I'm not sure about that but four Americans did die of 7.62 x 39 lead poisoning in Benghazi under Ms. Clinton's watch.

By this rationale, it was Ronald Reagan's fault that 241 Marines died in the 1983 Beirut bombing.  

On 6/17/2016 at 8:51 AM, Hyett6420 said:

The fourth.  But children are the best contraceptive known to man, they either make you so knackered you are too tired to, (eell you know) or they just put you off children for life..  

Having said that i have three brothers and my fathers favourite phrase was "before i had children i had four theories....now i have four children and no theories. :). ". 

I think that sums up parwntoood well, or my research Doctor in Spain (I worked for Wellcome) when my child was born and i was in her office one day and asking about a rash that Vicki had, her assistant said "Andrew you are a consultants son, you should know this" to which the research doctor replied "stephanie, strangely enough babies dont come with instruction manuals."  So so true.  

Enjoy every moment of your child Seth, and when you are tired after a hard days work and he/she comes running up and says Dad lets play.  Always find the energy because the look of disappoint on their face if you say no  will cut deep deep into your soul and you will always remember it and never remove it.   

I agree with this.  Enjoy them when they are young. When they turn 14, they will enter "THE STUPID YEARS" and life will take a measure more of patience to survive things.  Not all kids go all the way in, but most go part way in.   When they come out of that phase, you may find great friends in them.

• Like 1

troll2
trōl/
verb
verb: troll; 3rd person present: trolls; past tense: trolled; past participle: trolled; gerund or present participle: trolling
  1. 1
    informal
    make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

10 hours ago, Hank said:

So what was thus thread about before it became your two's personal pissing match?

Yup, stupid of me to get engaged.  I apologize, won't happen again.  Only posts about aviation from now on, I promise.