Magnetic Azimuth Transponder Thingy!

Hello All,

Looking for any assistance in where this KMT-112 Magnetic Azimuth Transponder might be mounted in a 1981 M20K.  The KFC-200 A/P guide suggests in a wingtip location so as to minimize interference but I cannot seem to locate it on my air frame (sn 25-0577).  Any suggestions, assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

That would be a great label for the panel indeed.  The plane was just repainted and I can assure that the label you've suggested is long gone.  I will take both of these responses and re-invigorate my search for this mysterious instrument.  Thank you both.

Ron

I have checked the Battery tray area and tail cone, it's not there.  The A/P computer and free slave electric gyro were on the tray with the battery but this transponder was not there.  I worked my way in through several access panels from each wing-tip with no joy, I probably stopped one panel shy of its location (just my luck).  I will work inward some more starting on the left wing first, after work on Friday!

Thanks all,

Ron

36 minutes ago, Marcopolo said:

I have checked the Battery tray area and tail cone, it's not there.  The A/P computer and free slave electric gyro were on the tray with the battery but this transponder was not there.  I worked my way in through several access panels from each wing-tip with no joy, I probably stopped one panel shy of its location (just my luck).  I will work inward some more starting on the left wing first, after work on Friday!

Thanks all,

Ron

Once you locate it, be sure the panel is held on with non magnetic screws, brass or stainless steel and try to avoid use of strong magnetic tools on the panel.

Clarence

For those still following or slightly interested, no luck yet in locating the transponder.  I was able to remove all of the square(ish) inspection panels along the underside of both wings with no joy on locating said transponder.  There were 2 oval (closer to the leading edge) inspection panels that each had a stripped screw, one on each wing, so not sure if it's hiding behind one of those.

Reason for my search may be needed also....I am having an issue with the autopilot where the Slave-in mode on the PNI/HSI will not align properly, works fine in free slave mode but I cannot fly with the GPS/Nav mode coupled due to directional incompetence.  Fly's fine on HDG mode with slave switch to free opererating as a standard DG with precession.  My intent was to check/clean the connection to the Azimuth transponder in hopes(wishes) of correcting the slaving issue.  KFC-200 A/P system.

2 hours ago, Marcopolo said:

For those still following or slightly interested, no luck yet in locating the transponder.  I was able to remove all of the square(ish) inspection panels along the underside of both wings with no joy on locating said transponder.  There were 2 oval (closer to the leading edge) inspection panels that each had a stripped screw, one on each wing, so not sure if it's hiding behind one of those.

Reason for my search may be needed also....I am having an issue with the autopilot where the Slave-in mode on the PNI/HSI will not align properly, works fine in free slave mode but I cannot fly with the GPS/Nav mode coupled due to directional incompetence.  Fly's fine on HDG mode with slave switch to free opererating as a standard DG with precession.  My intent was to check/clean the connection to the Azimuth transponder in hopes(wishes) of correcting the slaving issue.  KFC-200 A/P system.

Just a thought, is there any info in the equipment list?  

Clarence

Untried Test Suggestion:

Power up the avionics system on the ground with external power.  Your vacuum instruments will be INOP unless you have a back-up vacuum pump powered by electricity, or a shop vacuum pump.

Have someone watching the slaving correction meter -- I'm assuming you have a KCS-55A system -- while you pass a magnet around the bottom of wings.  When the magnet is near the KMT-112 the slaving needle should jump.  

You've said your slaving is not working so your cockpit helper may have to twist the HSI card to keep the slaving needle off the pegs.  

Marco,

you may want to verify....

Magnetometer vs. Transponder in your recent post above.  The long name of the magnetometer includes the word transponder.  But, to use transponder in place of magnetometer may get you funny looks.  :)

Dirty wire connectors have been the source of my magnetometer's ills.  Once in the last  seven years.

Good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

M20Doc,  I will check the POH this weekend to see if it shows the station number where this item may be installed, thank you!

Jerry 5TJ,  If the POH equipment list doesn't get me there, then your suggestion is next, thanks!

Carusoam,  How about Magnetic Azimuth Transmitter (thingy) or Flux Detector Valve?  needs an edit, my apologies...thank you!

I get Funny looks for reasons other than my use of incorrect words...trust me!

Edited by Marcopolo
additional info
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay Folks, because I know we all hate open ended threads let's close this one out.

The Azimuth Transmitter was indeed located in the middle of the left wing, but not behind a screw equipped inspection panel.  Rather it was located be hind a riveted 'inspection' panel.  I used a bore-scope  through adjoining screw attached inspection panels to locate it.  Once located, I removed the connector and cleaned an oxidized pin, applied a bit of corrosion X and reattached the connector.  Problem solved, KFC200 autopilot is back on rails and tracking as advertised.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Ron

• Like 1