IR CHECKRIDE PASSED (and the write up)!

Passed my check ride today! Whew...3 years to the day of my first solo flight as well! Thanks for all the tips and well wishes...

Here's a quick write up:

Headed to the FBO at 7am and got the plane ready. Laid out all the necessary documents (AROW, medical, PPL, annual, pitot/static, transponder, ELT, GPS, VOR)...DPE arrived and we went into the IACRA website to get all the FAA paperwork printed and signed off. We sat down with some coffee and dug into a few questions about what apps I am using and since he gave me my PPL check ride, I was using all the apps he likes (Foreflight and Aviation W&B). We went through how I set up the W&B and he asked about the importance of it (Va) and why Va mattered as well as the 3 kinds of turbulence one encounters (wake, pilot induced and wx-related). Then we talked a bit about the NOTAMS at our airport and how the DH for the ILS 17 at MTJ is wrong based on a new NOTAM.  We discussed the route I chose for MTJ to PHX (SID, en route, and STAR),  how wide federal airways are (4nm from centerline), MEAs (what they provide), random TFRs (and how they can pop up mid flight like in the case of a forest fire). He asked about required fuel (45 mins, but we both agreed an hour is way better) and when I would need an alternate (123 rule); we talked about lost communications (altitudes and routes). He asked about mountainous vs non mountainous separation and what designates it as mountainous (5-6-5 in the AIM, so basically some fella at the FAA). He asked about VOR checks (when/where/how). We talked a bit about how even small planes can easily fall into Category B on approaches if there is a tail wind and sure enough there was, so I was...and he showed me how the ILS 26 has a higher DH than the RNAV X 26 at KRIL, and how that's odd...and we talked about how LPVs aren't considered precision approaches, but they should be given that in some cases as in KRIL, they bring you lower to the ground. 

Then we flew. He gave me a clearance to the published hold at MTJ (PAGRE) and to expect an ILS 17 approach back to the airport, departed, entered the hold (teardrop) and I called to confirmed with ATC (him) that I had not received a clearance for the approach (no answer-call again-no answer), squawk 7600 (verbally) and talked about lost communication procedures. He actually talked the WHOLE time, which I expected based on my PPL--he does this to make sure you can handle distractions and of course, I could have told him to pipe down but that would have been rude since I like the guy! Then he cleared me for the DME arc and ILS 17, flew it to the missed, got radar vectors for the RNAV Z 17, to the missed and he gave me radar vectors back to the hold at PAGRE. Enroute we did 2 unusual attitudes (both nose down), back on course, got to the hold, cleared for the VOR/DME 13 but with new wx (Wind 310 at 30), so we circled to land (he talked about how we can descend 100 below each altitude at both the FAF and circling MDA since we have the airport in sight) and then we were on the ground!!!! 

It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Oral was about 2 hours. Flight was about 1.5. Total start to finish with all the bs was around 4 hours. No steep turns. No weird holds. The wind was calm and the air was smooth. Whew. My remarkable wife and little girl as well as my amazing CFII were all waiting with flowers! What a day! 

Edited by Brian Scranton
  • Like 24

Congrats! It's the most useful rating for Mooney drivers. Now, don't let it lapse. Start tomorrow to make sure you have safety pilots lined up to go out and shoot approaches with you.  Don't let it get away from you.  Enjoy it.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  Big accomplishment.

You are probably better rehearsed now than ever to fly an approach to mins in real conditions, but obviously do not.  Always double check your judgement calls and set a personal minimums until you feel more and more comfortable in the system.

Go fly, use your instrument rating, and have fun!  It's amazing how a simple cloud layer at 3000 feet is now no longer a problem for a long cross country.  You can travel a lot of distance VFR.  You can travel the same distance more often IFR.  Still cancel flights in deteriorating conditions that are below your personal minimums.  However, your practicality of air travel just increased dramatically.

You should be very proud of your new rating.  Now keep learning!

-Seth

• Like 1

Brian,

Awesome write-up and congrats.. Now I don't know if you've made me more nervous about continuing working toward mine or more excited to push harder..Reading all of that just made me realize..Geez, I'm not even close to ready and have a long way to go.

A big congrats to you though! Sounds like you were very prepared. Now I'll go look some of that stuff up that you mentioned..lol :)

-Tom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWinter said:

Brian,

Awesome write-up and congrats.. Now I don't know if you've made me more nervous about continuing working toward mine or more excited to push harder..Reading all of that just made me realize..Geez, I'm not even close to ready and have a long way to go.

A big congrats to you though! Sounds like you were very prepared. Now I'll go look some of that stuff up that you mentioned..lol :)

-Tom

A few recommendations: do an online course in a short period of time (like King) to pass the written. Get a good CFII and fly twice a week, even more when you get close (like everyday the week before your check ride), pick a few complicated cross countries to get used to working in the ATC system, watch the first two pages of youtube when you search IFR check ride prep (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ifr+checkride+prep), and study this thing for your oral: http://pilotscafe.com/download/IFRQuickReviewSheets.pdf

• Like 1

17 hours ago, carqwik said:

Congrats.  Now go get some easy actual IMC to start...

There is no substitute for actual and the jostling that comes with it.  I came back from PIT yesterday and the auto-pilot couldn't hack the up drafts at times.   180kts of ground speed was nice the bouncing and hand flying less so.

Over Memorial Day I did about the third or fourth missed on an ILS in 30yrs and then the first ever diversion to another airport (and I am not conservative when it comes to IFR, just shows how rare a real minimums situation actually occurs).  About a ten NM diameter of fog blew off Superior into KCMX 2hrs earlier than expected (first approach I was a little high, second was on the numbers perfect with nothing in sight).  A quick shot down the coast to KOGM to the visual and a 90 minute car ride after an hour wait ensued.

Practicing with a safety pilot is great but there is no substitute for experiencing and navigating weather through out the four seasons.   

When you are carrying precious cargo, real practice makes all the difference. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

It has always amused me that I can fly a N reg aircraft with an American IR, but the moment I re  register the aircraft to easa then my rating is no longer valid!  

That's because Laws generally make a little since, but Regulations often don't, they are just a way for frustrate bureaucrats to show their angst and share their frustration. Besides, doesn't EASA require additional redundant instruments (2nd altimeter, 2nd AI, etc.)? The FAA doesn't, so you must need additional training tomfigure out how to read two altimeters and tell how high you are . . . :rolleyes:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I could try instead to overthrow the government, put me in charge and change everything but I think getting an IR will be easier. 

Remember, remember, the 5th of November...

Guy Fawkes lives!

• Like 2

My recommendation is to continue reading. Your first post-check ride book should be "Instrument Flying" by Richard Taylor. You may know how to keep the wings level in IMC, but you don't know a lot of practical information, which is what he goes over. I also suggest subscribing to IFR Magazine.

Passing the check ride is easy, going up into solid IMC the first few times without your instructor beside you is something entirely different.

• Like 2