Near Midair Close Call Video

201er

I was flying a PALS flight from Boston to Caldwell on an IFR flight plan. We were in the descent for Caldwell on an ATC assigned heading when suddenly a Cessna Skyhawk appeared out of nowhere coming right for us. Actually he was probably flying level and we were descending into him.

A passenger in the back pointed, but I could not see or hear her (microphone up). I spotted the traffic myself and pulled up to mediate the conflict. I reflexively turned to the right, but since the traffic was slightly to the right this would not have helped. However, the vertical separation that I created by pulling up was the action that saved the day.

I was in communication with ATC while the other aircraft was not. ATC did not point out this traffic. Just goes to show that even IFR in a Mode C area, ultimately you still have to see and avoid. Full video of the flight coming soon but just wanted to point out this little episode since I happened to catch it on camera.

• Like 3

From the fact that your left rear passenger pointed to the right and slightly up, and then in the video the cessna passes from the right and slightly below, it looks like perhaps yes - wow that was a direct collision course.  Well done keeping your eyes open.

WHen you told ATC - did they have them on scope at least?

Wow! Fast and close . . . Good job, Mike.

Under flight following once, I was headed ENE at 7500, soon to start down. ATC called southbound traffic, same altitude, 8 miles out. We were right atop the haze layer and couldn't see each other. Then we were same altitude, 5nm, no joy; at 3nm, I went full throttle and reported my climb. Never saw the other guy, but at least I was happy and ATC sounded relieved.

No ADSB alert, no ATC alert, no PCAS alert. When I called it out to ATC, he said he had not seen him but later picked him up. Could be spotty radar coverage or that his xpndr wasn't working right. The only thing that was going to pick up this traffic was my eyes.

I was descending so the best direction to change was to pull up. It was more to arrest the descent than to climb. Being a Mooney with speed and even more speed from the descent, I would be able to outclimb him even if he tried to pull up. So up definitely turned out to be the right way to go.This was not in the Bravo but it was within the mode C veil on the edge of bravo. I was descending out of 2200 on about a 10 mile straight in for 22 at Caldwell.

course.jpg

This isn't my first scare around Caldwell. I've had tower turn traffic straight into me in that awful pattern. That airport freaks me out with the insanely high volume and poor separation services.

Scary.  Good reaction.

My closest call, it would have been a mistake to pull up.  I was once on a practice instrument approach at a local airport, still about 15 mi out and on a descent leg of the approach plate.  I only saw the other airplane at the last moment.  It past maybe 50 feet above me and maybe 100 yards ahead of me.  I noticed him only very late and I wasn't going to hit it but it was close and a climb would have made it worse.

In all likelihood most close approaches still may not lead to collisions - still big sky theory - but scary.

Nice video. Looks like a lot of excitement for the girls in the back. Since ATC was able to see you and not the other traffic it is likely that was a transponder problem or the pilot had it in STBY and forgot to set it to ALT after departure. He may have switched to ALT after passing you by and that is why ATC was able to see it later on. Not an uncommon action. I always leave my on ALT, even when on the ground

José

Edited by Piloto

There is no longer a reason to ever turn the transponder off.  The FAA wants them on, even on the ground.  I don't think the FAA has done a good job of getting the word out.  Once people get used to this, it may help prevent scenarios where the transponder is left off. 

http://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/USAFAA/2015/05/27/file_attachments/393637/SAFO15006.pdf

Agree CDW is scary on many levels.  

Even if mode C or transponder set to off, the aircraft should generate a primary return.  

Good job keeping your eyes open.

Your passengers seemed to have fun.  You looked pissed at ATC :-)

Our GTX345 has already saved my bacon once.  Last Friday, coming home from EUL (Caldwell, ID) to S50 (Auburn, WA) we were getting flight following.  Seattle Approach got busy and did something they had never done before.  They said unable flight following, radar service terminated, squawk VFR, frequency change approved.  I had already turned to the right to avoid somebody orbiting over Lake Tapps.  About 2 minutes later while descending we got the "traffic one o'clock low, one mile" call.  The ADS-B showed him 400' below us so I leveled out and continued looking for him.  Took about 10 seconds, but I found him and watched him pass directly under us.

I've already had 4 traffic callouts from the GTX but this was the closest.

Looks like just another day at the Lake Parker arrival into Sun n' Fun!  At least there, people know to be looking around, but it's still the wild west. I did the FISKE arrival one time at OSH and it was more crowded, but also seemed more orderly compared to Lake Parker. I've got no death wish, but I kinda' like flying with other planes around...keeps you on your toes.

Having traffic on the screen helps, but I have a question for those who've gone to ADS-B. I still have TIS-A, and I occasionally get ghost images of myself on the screen. I can tell because they usually follow me at 500' below or above for any length of time. Just last weekend I was practicing steep turns and actually turned right back into my ghost...got the big yellow ball and TRAFFIC TRAFFIC alert all at the same time, but I was definitely alone in the sky. Does that happen with TIS-B (ADS-B) too?

On 6/6/2016 at 10:00 AM, 201er said:

I was flying a PALS flight from Boston to Caldwell on an IFR flight plan. We were in the descent for Caldwell on an ATC assigned heading when suddenly a Cessna Skyhawk appeared out of nowhere coming right for us. Actually he was probably flying level and we were descending into him.

A passenger in the back pointed, but I could not see or hear her (microphone up). I spotted the traffic myself and pulled up to mediate the conflict. I reflexively turned to the right, but since the traffic was slightly to the right this would not have helped. However, the vertical separation that I created by pulling up was the action that saved the day.

I was in communication with ATC while the other aircraft was not. ATC did not point out this traffic. Just goes to show that even IFR in a Mode C area, ultimately you still have to see and avoid. Full video of the flight coming soon but just wanted to point out this little episode since I happened to catch it on camera.

From the look on your face it appears you were the ONLY ONE that knew how serious that was.   I think my mouth would have gotten dry too.

Good job!

Tom

6 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Looks like just another day at the Lake Parker arrival into Sun n' Fun!  At least there, people know to be looking around, but it's still the wild west. I did the FISKE arrival one time at OSH and it was more crowded, but also seemed more orderly compared to Lake Parker. I've got no death wish, but I kinda' like flying with other planes around...keeps you on your toes.

Having traffic on the screen helps, but I have a question for those who've gone to ADS-B. I still have TIS-A, and I occasionally get ghost images of myself on the screen. I can tell because they usually follow me at 500' below or above for any length of time. Just last weekend I was practicing steep turns and actually turned right back into my ghost...got the big yellow ball and TRAFFIC TRAFFIC alert all at the same time, but I was definitely alone in the sky. Does that happen with TIS-B (ADS-B) too?

I get ghosting of my own aircraft on the the ADSB-in traffic receiver of my Stratus 2 connected to my iPad.  So it does happen.  Not very often, but enough to see it actually occur.

26 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

I get ghosting of my own aircraft on the the ADSB-in traffic receiver of my Stratus 2 connected to my iPad.  So it does happen.  Not very often, but enough to see it actually occur.

In many instances ghosting and double traffic indication of one traffic is caused by multipath effects. These effects are more common at low altitude where signals are reflected from ground objects or over water reflection. Not unusual in active TCAS systems. If you are flying at 6,000ft over water you may see traffic at your own altitude but 3nm away. Smart software design compares signals from top and bottom antennas and decides it is a reflection. Traffic at same altitude shows on both antennas.  

José