G1000 VS Garmin Perpective

Anyone could tell me the major differences btw G1000 and Garmin Perpective.

Also what do you thing of the combination of G1000 and Stec 55X?

Of course WAAS is still pending but I can not believe Garmin will not take out stm at an (aviation) reasonable price. We also know they are working on it...

Thank You

I personally think there is a lot of value in the g1000 / 55x combo.  The aircraft have depreciated heavily and are a stones throw away from the 6 pack prices.  I'm curious to see what kind of glass panels will be available in 10 years and the cost associated with keeping panels upgraded or updated. 

That's correct...Perspective is unique to Cirrus aircraft with some touch key entry pads and things like that. As to my "perspective" on the G1000/STEC-55x combo, I like mine and it's always performed well. We are of course waiting for Garmin/Mooney to deliver a reasonable WAAS solution but I am still optimistic it will happen. And yes, the prices for these birds do reflect that current situation, compared to later models with the GFC700 and WAAS.

But I can tell you, if you have Synthetic Vision on that G1000, even flying LNAV approaches is pretty solid. From FAF to touchdown you can see the runway right on the screen, and as long as you don't descend below MDA prior to the MAP there's not much practical difference than flying a glide slope, other than that the LPV will give you 150-200 feet of extra descent.  If you're really flying in LIFR then I do agree WAAS would be critical.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ChristianGodin said:

Ovation owner (especially g1000) what is your average unplanned maintenance yearly cost... I mean on top of annual, hangar, etc

To follow up this question, I've only had mine for a couple of years so my track record isn't well established. Here are the maintenance items I addressed that weren't expected...this is over two years:

1) Replaced the MFD unit with a Garmin swap due to faulty range knob: $1400 for the swap plus $200 in shop hours

2) Overhauled exhaust stack: $2500 or so

3) Overhauled speed brakes: $800 as I recall

Also bear in mind that the annual will generally be a big more because it's a 6-cylinder engine compared to a 4-banger on C through J models.

The database subscriptions for the G1000 were actually cheaper than for the GNS480 I had in the J.  This year especially, since I won a year's subscription as a door prize at the Mooney Summit last October (Thanks Mike Elliott!)

• Like 1

Only unplanned maint. I've had in 18 mo of ownership is a bad pitch servo in the 55x and an ADC in the G1000 that needed recalibrating when I did the IFR cert recently.

If Jeff hadn't beaten me to it I would have written his post (2 up) for him...completely agree with him :)

Robert

Ill give you my-perspectives since i bought mine in 2005 one of the first ones, no costs yet for the g1000 but have replaced all servos and the stec computer board twice. I hope i just did not jinx myself.

3 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

.  This year especially, since I won a year's subscription as a door prize at the Mooney Summit last October (Thanks Mike Elliott!)

Jeff, make sure you thank Slim Morgan of Jeppesen. He is the one who made it happen, and he has promised he will donate a sub again this year for Mooney Summit IV (Gosh, we are on our 4th already!). I didn't do anything but smooze him to donate, as did DEB...

We have some fantastic prizes again this year, a couple will be in a silent auction we may have open to all. The board has not made a final decision on this yet, but will post it on the Mooney Summit forum when it is all finalized. This would make sense for us as we are raising funds to help any downed Mooney pilot, not just those attending the Mooney Summit.