In The Ear Headset - Opinions?

I have a Zulu 2 headset, Bose and the Halos and a set of DC's in my Mooney. Everyone seems to like a different set. The kids like the DC's the best as they are most comfortable. I typically fly with the Zulu's. The Bose and a set of DC's sit in the back as spares. I recently bought a set of Halo's and tried them out for the first time on  set of flights over 2 days totaling 7 hours. I found them much more comfortable but not nearly blocking as much of the low freq. noise as any of the other sets, especially the Bose and Zulu's. I will try them again but think I will keep both set's handy for me and trade them out on longer flights. My co-pilot this week was brand new to GA and decided on the DC's as most comfortable. 

40 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Real pilots wear DCs.

(but MooneyGirl likes her new wireless LS Tangos.) 

IMG_20160520_150822243.jpg

Bob -- I think you left out an adjective. Shouldn't it read "Real OLD pilots wear DCs." ;) Sorry Bob, you left the door WIDE open for that one.

I started off with DCs before the ANR world. When I switched over the Telex ANRs in the 90s, I figured out the headache I was getting was not from hypoxia but rather Clarkoxia. Also explained the bulging eyes I had when flying. 

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Bob -- I think you left out an adjective. Shouldn't it read "Real OLD pilots wear DCs." ;) Sorry Bob, you left the door WIDE open for that one.

I started off with DCs before the ANR world. When I switched over the Telex ANRs in the 90s, I figured out the headache I was getting was not from hypoxia but rather Clarkoxia. Also explained the bulging eyes I had when flying. 

"Old" is not a pejorative. You whippersnappers should show more respect. I don't find DCs uncomfortable though with glasses putting on cannulas is awkward. ISTM the big advantage of the DCs is that they are practically indestructible, 

But to each his own, I know several people who drive Fords... can you imagine?   

• Like 1

I figured out that my flight instructor has a Clarity Aloft headset that he uses in his aerobatics plane. I have only ever seen him wear a Bose Aviation X in less exciting planes, so I had a good idea what his opinion was. My instructor had a few days off from aerobatics, so he offered to let me try out his CA. I flew about 3 hours with it today. I'll be doing another 3 hours tomorrow before returning it.

The headset I use under my racecar helmet utilizes a set of headphones called PlugFones. The foam replacement pieces fit on the Clarity Aloft headset, so I elected to use those instead of my instructor's used foam pieces. 

It definitely felt weird being in the plane without my ears covered. Based on placement of the mic (doesn't reach the front of your mouth), I didn't expect that to work real well either. Initial fitment of the formed wire piece that fits over your ears didn't seem right. After 30 minutes of flying, I've decided I really like the in-the-ear concept. The formed wire part even felt comfortable. The sound quality of incoming radio calls is great. I asked a few controllers how my transmissions sounded. All reported loud and clear. The CA headset is better than any other passive headset that I've used. I was surprised at how clearly I could hear the sound of air around the plane and the engine while both still being incredibly quiet. The experience is tough to describe.

Since I've very much a DIY'er, I'm going to take a stab at making my own in-the-ear headset. I've already started ordering parts. The headphone portion will be the same PlugFones that I'm used to. I'll start a new thread to document the build as I sort it all out. So far, it's looking like I'll have about $100 in parts. We'll not discuss the time investment or it'll take the fun out of it.

Thanks again for all the input and opinions.

• 1 month later...

I finished building my headset a couple weeks ago. I've got about 8 or so hours flying with it now. Ended up being $80 in parts. Haven't even thought about using the Lightspeed lately. 

I put together a short video to show the components I used and the very basics of how to connect it together. Sometime soon I'll put together a better video to show more of how to build it and some in-flight video with audio.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 6/4/2016 at 0:06 PM, bradp said:

So far it seems like there are only a couple of wEARdos that don't like the Halos.  :-)

That makes me a weardos too.

I had QT for about 2 years, but after awhile I realized I really like my Bose A20 more.  Besides that, there are two other factors in favor of QT. 1) When it is winter, it can be very cold sticking a little foamy - or rubber thing - in your ear.  Try going to your hangar when it is -20F and sticking something in your ear! 2) I use oxyarm for which the ball sits on my A20 all the time, and I attach the swinging arm as needed - so when using O2, this barely touches my nose if at all with no tugging.

58 minutes ago, Hank said:

They're worth the wait. See if you can get on the waiting list and get one from the next batch.

If you get on the waiting list you get an email when they are in stock and should have time to buy them. I've had mine for almost a year and love them. 

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

That makes me a weardos too.

I had QT for about 2 years, but after awhile I realized I really like my Bose A20 more.  Besides that, there are two other factors in favor of QT. 1) When it is winter, it can be very cold sticking a little foamy - or rubber thing - in your ear.  Try going to your hangar when it is -20F and sticking something in your ear! 2) I use oxyarm for which the ball sits on my A20 all the time, and I attach the swinging arm as needed - so when using O2, this barely touches my nose if at all with no tugging.

Erik my oxyarm keeps falling off, is there a secret was you got them to adhere properly 

1 hour ago, Danb said:

Erik my oxyarm keeps falling off, is there a secret was you got them to adhere properly 

Epoxy - but clean well with alcohol / but after 5 years it did fall off - I got a new button and it came with a really sticky epoxy tape - much cleaner.

important to take the arm off carefully by holding the button to the headset each time

i love oxyarm!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I have a pair of the Quiet Technology in-the-ear headsets for sale.  I received them a few weeks ago and have flown with them for about 10 hours.  Although I like them, I think the my ear canals are just not the right type to use these.  I'm offering them for sale at my cost with free shipping (kind of a balance for using one set of the in ear foam plugs that I don't think that you'll want - there are four sets of foam and a couple of the other kind included).  DM me if you'd like them - $367.50.

Slightly off topic, but I've recently started using foam earplugs under my headset.  Did the same thing in the Air Force.  When I do that, I can't tell whether the ANR is on or off.  Makes for a very quiet flight.  Also eliminates most of the static on the radio.  As a test, last week I wore them on a flight from Auburn, WA to Hoquiam, WA but took them out for the flight back.  It was much harder for me to understand the controllers on the way home.

Even though I have to crank the volume up on the radio, I'm sold.  It's earplugs under the headset all the time for me.  If you like it, you might even be able to save several hundred dollars and not need to buy fancy headsets.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Even though I have to crank the volume up on the radio, I'm sold.  It's earplugs under the headset all the time for me. 

Agree - that is just the way my ear canals are - headset and earplugs work better.

10 minutes ago, milotron said:

Hi Bob, is this with Bose A20s?  I had good luck with this too. Turn the radio volume up a little and it was very quiet.

iain

I'm too cheap for Bose.  I have some Pacific Coast Avionics headsets with ANR.  My wife wears Bose QC15 with UFly-Mike.