In The Ear Headset - Opinions?

Do any of you have any experience with in-the-ear aviation headsets? There are a few that show up most prominently when searching the internet (Clarity Aloft, Quiet Technologies, Faro). The in-the-ear headsets have some cool features: lighter weight, less bulky, no semi-permanent ear cup impressions on your head. I've had good experience with foam ear buds for communication in my race cars. 

Good, clear comm's to and from the airplane are most important. Decent sound quality for music is really nice too. I can find reviews for all three of the headsets I mentioned, but no comparisons of any of them. All the reviews I can find seem to be basically paid advertisements. Any slightly less biased opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

Search for Phil, he is the Quiet Technologies guru/Mooney pilot...

They work great. They just don't cost as much as they should.

Don't wait for the big show and try to order one if you really need it, there could be a waiting list that time of year.

The only problem I have had is forgetting they are in my ears and try to pull my plane using the headset attached to my head.  Kind of embarrassing.  Let's just keep it between us, OK?  :)

Background info: I have two sets. We wear glasses. I sport an AOPA ball cap occasionally. (All work well with the Halos)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

I've been using the Halo (Quiet Tech) for almost a year.  Took a few hours to get used to hearing a bit of aircraft/engine noise that my former ANR unit blocked, but really like the Halo.  Much more comfortable after an 6-8 hour flying day.  Also, no batteries required!

• Like 1

I have the Quiet Technology Halo and I love it.  The company is owned and operated by a fellow Mooney owner who is also a MooneySpacer. 

Great quality, great sound, comfortable, and significantly cheaper than the Clarity Aloft.

• Like 1

I used to use and still have the Lightspeed Zulu2. Almost two years ago I bought the QT Halo's and handed the Zulu2's over to my wife. On last year's trip to Oshkosh, my wife was complaining about the clamping of the Zulu's against her sunglasses and her temples. I switched headsets with her and let her try the Halo's. I never got them back. So upon arriving at Oshkosh, we immediately went to see Phil at his booth and buy another set of Halo's. Both of us now use the Halos's exclusively and the Zulu's are for friends or backseat passengers.

• Like 2

Good to hear that I'm not crazy for considering it. 

This has been prompted by my Lightspeed Sierra's needing to be sent back a second time for warranty repair. It would be nice to have a second good headset. I like the LS headset a lot when it's working, but having the problems with it makes me second guess buying another set.

8 hours ago, N1395W said:

I have the Quiet Technology Halo and I love it.  The company is owned and operated by a fellow Mooney owner who is also a MooneySpacer. 

Great quality, great sound, comfortable, and significantly cheaper than the Clarity Aloft.

+1 for me too.  Phil runs a great business and his product is a great product.  I have had my Halos for nearly five years now and they are way better than what I used to wear.

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I used to use and still have the Lightspeed Zulu2. Almost two years ago I bought the QT Halo's and handed the Zulu2's over to my wife. On last year's trip to Oshkosh, my wife was complaining about the clamping of the Zulu's against her sunglasses and her temples. I switched headsets with her and let her try the Halo's. I never got them back. So upon arriving at Oshkosh, we immediately went to see Phil at his booth and buy another set of Halo's. Both of us now use the Halos's exclusively and the Zulu's are for friends or backseat passengers.

Same experience with me, except my wife still uses the Zulus. (She's rarely in the Mooney long enough for much of anything to be a problem.) Halos are great, and Phil's service is great. I've never heard of anyone being disappointed. They give you an inexplicable sense of brilliant clarity of received voices and just enough environmental sensation to stay in touch with your airplane.

It seems everyone that has a set of these plug ins like them. Wearing ear plugs in a factory environment always seemed to bother me after awhile. Are these different someway? I assume they are not noise cancelling? Anybody ever use them in conjunction with a noise canceling head set like your Lightspeeds?

51 minutes ago, nels said:

It seems everyone that has a set of these plug ins like them. Wearing ear plugs in a factory environment always seemed to bother me after awhile. Are these different someway? I assume they are not noise cancelling? Anybody ever use them in conjunction with a noise canceling head set like your Lightspeeds?

My wife wears the QT Halo's as well.  She's really happy with the lack of head pressure after a few hours that she would get with pretty much all other headsets she tried.  The Halo's come with both foam and rubber (multiple sizes) ear inserts.  Took a little while for her to figure out what she likes but she's happy.  She thinks they don't block quite as much noise as our ANR DC's (I don't think this is univeral though).  No they are not electric noise cancelling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nels said:

Nels,

I have worked in manufacturing environments with ear plugs all day/all year.  It takes finding the right plug that works for you.

Fortunately Phil knows this, and offers a whole bunch of alternatives.  Diameter, design, material...

My preference is for the silicone ones over the cheaper foam ones.  The price difference is probably measured in cents...

knowing how to put them in properly helps.  OSHA training 101, pull the ear up while inserting.....

check the website for various bits...

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_60_61

the triple flange is my favorite.  It is most similar to the one I used at the Pharma factory...

The advantage of these things are to get the uncomfortable clamp off your head while delivering perfectly audible radio communication.

putting a noise canceling headset over the halos sounds a bit like 1.5 AMUs of belt and suspenders to me.  Probably works...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On June 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM, nels said:

At work, everyone wears the foam earplugs. I really don't like them, and was able to get the long three-flange silicone ones; they feel a lot better, don't require rolling and don't expand over time and push themselves out of my ear. Kind of like what I used to wear many moons ago.

I've been using Halos since I flew from WV down to FXE to have my tanks resealed (2009? 2010?). My clamp-o-matic headset used to give me headaches, as well as let in a lot of sound around my sunglasses. When it got dark and I removed the sunglasses, it was much quieter! Didn't want to think about flying 6+ hours each way in those, so I didn't. I was a Halo convert well before the Florida line!

The silicone plugs work well for me, too. I gave the foamies to someone else who liked them. I still occasionally try to get out of the plane without removing them, but no damage done yet. 

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

I have a set of Halos that have been confiscated by the wife as well. Will get another set at some point.

I initially did not like them because of the ear plugs available. After Phil starting carrying the black ones, they have been great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I replaced my Zulu 2s with the Clarity Aloft.  Being in FL, I got tired of sweating under the Zulus.  The Clarity Aloft headsets addressed that problem.  You do get some engine noise, which is not necessarily as bad thing.    

I bought the Halos for my wife because she complained the A20s messed up her hair. She really likes them buy I've never tried them. After reading this thread I might have to. Her only complaint is she can't turn the volume up enough when she wants to listen to music or watch a show from her ipad. She's using an audio cable from the device to the Halos thus bypassing the intercom system and she has both the ipad and Halo volume turned all the way up. Other than that little issue they've been great for her.

• Like 1

I just got a set of Halos a month ago.  I have flown around 10hrs with them so far.  I like them. Not as quiet overall as my Boss but a heck of a lot more comfortable. 

I hate earbuds with a passion.  But the Halos are ear plugs.  totally different. I use the yellow foam ones and they fit my ear great.

• Like 1

I have both clairty aloft and a set of halo's.  Phil is on this board, and seems to give good service, but I have never requested or needed service from him personally.  

Both are very good products.  I keep switching back and forth....  I think the CA's have a better microphone, but the sound in the Halo's might be a little better..   Both are in my opinion, much better than the head clamps with respect to sound.  (I also have a set of BOSE ANR;s  they copilot/back seat headsets)

Personally, I do not like the yellow foam earpieces from Halo,  and find the silicone ones to be very good..   I wore ear plugs at work for about 20 years, so am used to having something in my ear.  

Othewise, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

craig

Just now, Tom said:

I'm going to jump at the first good and reliable wireless option that comes up (headset or in-ear). 

Have you tried the Lightspeed Tango's? I have a set and it is nice. I still personally use my Lightspeed PFX's more often, as I don't mind the wires and it has the best noise cancelling of any I have tried and own, including Bose.

4 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Have you tried the Lightspeed Tango's? I have a set and it is nice. I still personally use my Lightspeed PFX's more often, as I don't mind the wires and it has the best noise cancelling of any I have tried and own, including Bose.

I have not.  While most seem to like them, seems like too many others have had issues.  I'm waiting for the "B model" on this one.

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have not.  While most seem to like them, seems like too many others have had issues.  I'm waiting for the "B model" on this one.

I haven't heard of any real issues yet, other than the fear of the hinge breaking on the battery access door, and that is just fear, not reality yet. That said, I am sure in a few years they will have the Tango II, and you will be able as always to upgrade to it. Full disclosure, Lightspeed is donating a set of PFX's for the Mooney Summit again this year. Last year, the set was won by Aaron Krueger. I spoke to Phil about donating a set of Halo's, but he said he was way too far behind in production to be able to. :( Come On, Phil, its for a great cause!

• Like 2

My wife and I flew Bose for years. Great product! However, once we became Mooney drivers and started flying more than two hour legs we became uncomfortable. Bought two Clarity's and have never had a regret. No headaches, no sweat, sunglasses.... Fantastic! Early on we were constantly attempting to exit without removing them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, clh said:

Personally, I do not like the yellow foam earpieces from Halo,  and find the silicone ones to be very good..   I wore ear plugs at work for about 20 years, so am used to having something in my ear.  

I've tried the silicone plugs but it doesn't allow for pressure equalization like the foam plugs do. When wearing the silicone and descending, my ears get clogged. Do yours?

By the way, Phil's ID here at MS is http://mooneyspace.com/profile/7287-pmccand/

Edited by flyboy0681