Getting ADS-B - Keep or dump XM?

I am having a GTX 345 installed and the avionics shop just called to let me know that they have to move the GDL 69 antenna and put in new cable to the 750 if I want to keep getting XM weather.  Is keeping XM worth it?  Opinions appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

I am having a GTX 345 installed and the avionics shop just called to let me know that they have to move the GDL 69 antenna and put in new cable to the 750 if I want to keep getting XM weather.  Is keeping XM worth it?  Opinions appreciated. 

No question that XM is better, as it should be for the money.  Pay to have the work done to be able to keep it.  If you have or get the Flight Stream 210 you will be able to get XM weather on the iPad, too, for no additional cost.

Edit:  To get XM on the iPad you need the GDL 69 or GDL 69A

Edited by donkaye
Correction on "for no added cost"
  • Like 2

Scott, what about XM brought you back? 

Overall it is just a better product as Don says. Better resolution, and you can zoom way out to see weather ahead if you in detail. ADS-B won't let you see beyond a certain range. Storm cells/tracks, echo tops, winds aloft, lightning, are all useful to me, so I keep buying it for now.

I really like the integration of ADS-B with Garmin Pilot on my iPad, but wish it was as complete as XM on my 496. I have started to think about buying a used GDL-69A and FS 210 to replace my 496...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

For me ads-b is more than sufficient, I keep my IFR light. It would be hard for me to justify the cost for xm. If however cost is no issue, well, that's the main thing.

ADSB gets you nexrad, metars, winds, tfrs... That's most of what you need, the rest I download to my iPad before a leg in Foreflight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I am confused about what FIS-B provides, because I certainly get lightning on my I-Pad through the Stratus, which is FIS-B.  I can also zoom in and about on the weather on the I-Pad.  Since the GTX345 will transmit to the Ipad like the Stratus, wouldn't that data still be available? 

I flown and compared both side by side and to me the XM is better. The pixel quality is clearer in my opinion. The coverage in the air is depicted nearly identical, having said that the ADSB is "blocky". I don't like that. I'm a gadget junky and have bought and sold several different portable Garmin GPS units..496, 510, 560. 696 and 796. I think if I was using the 400 or 500 series portables it would be a toss up to keep the XM or not. Using the 696 or 796 I find the weather to display much clearer than the GTN750 in my tired eyes. I think I pay $45+/- a month for XM radio and weather. I've just kept one antenna and keep swapping to whatever portable I happen to be using. I'd vote to keep the XM.

-Tom

• Like 2

I've yet to see a range that I couldn't pull in with the Stratus, and if there was one it is certainly nothing I could reach in a timely manner, even in a Mooney.  The resolution isn't as good admittedly, but I really haven't found it to be a problem.  And I can dial in wx from a weather station just about anywhere.

I found XM to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have dealt with.  It was a singular pleasure ending my business with them.  ADSB would have to be spectacularly less useful before I would go back.

• Like 3

It would be nice if the subscription model provided more up-to-date information.

Unfortunately, Neither gives real-time data.  It can be pretty old, but display a mis-leading time stamp.

Does any of the fully installed stuff avoid all the button pushing steps to connect to the the wifi, turn on the app, plug in the device... Just reliably show weather and traffic all the time?

Best regards,

-a-

XM is not altitude dependent. I see your based in Florida so you should have good coverage with the ADS-B. If you choose to travel West be aware there are locations that ADS-B doesn't have cover yet....but not much. 

I have a bit of an unusual setup in that my GTNs (and Mini) thanks to FlightStream and a GDL 88 display ADS-B weather, while my 796 displays. XM. Even in sunny CA there is a difference that I think is worth continuing my XM subscription. Among other things I think XM is much richer in displaying winds aloft arrows and barbs.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, carusoam said:

It would be nice if the subscription model provided more up-to-date information.

Unfortunately, Neither gives real-time data.  It can be pretty old, but display a mis-leading time stamp.

Does any of the fully installed stuff avoid all the button pushing steps to connect to the the wifi, turn on the app, plug in the device... Just reliably show weather and traffic all the time?

Best regards,

-a-

With the GDL88/GTN750 weather and traffic are automatic - only dependent upon which info you choose to display. There are dedicated traffic and weather pages for taking a close/uncluttered look at either but the info is a layer on the map page as well. And if you want to drag the map screen 500 miles away to zoom in on the weather around your destination it's a simple matter to touch the screen drag the map to center the distant area and zoom in or out.

• Like 1

The GDL69 has its own antenna, and apparently mine was originally mounted too close to the GPS antenna, and they have to move it to prevent interference.  At least that is what they are telling me.  Supposedly needs to be 9 inches. 

I do not fly as often as before so I dropped my XM. Switched to Internet WX on the Garmin Pilot and found not to be that bad for my kind of flying. Updates are more often at lower altitudes or when in the vicinity of high terrain. It gives you the flexibility of seeing weather in detail before driving to the hangar so you can plan for any delays or deviations due to weather or restricted airspace.

José

GPilot WX.JPG

I now have a boating subscription for $10/month. For my boat.  My boat that ... really flies... Like the wind.  XM sent me a letter about how to transfer my subscription if I decide to sell my boat.  

Speed and lag are about the same.  XM offers higher resolution further out.  ADSB gives you 200nm range of less high resolution and national that updates less frequently.  Honestly you don't need the XM if you have Adsb - if it's being used to dodge cells it's not being used properly.  It would be nicer to have resolution at my destination when >200nm out, but again if I'm looking for high resolution holes at my destination I am misusing NEXRAD. 

I have a 430 box so it's nice to have the animation on the iPad   

The other reason I keep xm is that I have some hard wired non battery dependent cockpit information.  

I do a lot of flying over W PA, WV and VA mountainous terrain, so there is no real cell service.