Looking for a higher resolution Mooney Logo

Ned Gravel

Dear Mooneyspacers:

I am looking for a higher resolution of the Mooney logo so the local printer can print out some of these in sizes up to 12" by 5" or so.   This is what I have so far, but the printer says the resolution is not good enough to print the vinyl stickers I want.  Mooney used to have hi-res copies on their website, but those are now gone, since they changed the website.  I have sent a request to pr@mooney dot com but I am not certain they read these.

Any one have any?

cfswr_storage_box_logo.png

You might check the way back when web archives.  Its random snapshots of websites over a several year period.  You may have to check several months to find one that has what you are looking for.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040601000000*/http://www.mooney.com

Some of the older websites have some interesting reading on them.

Thanks TJ:

I have some good graphic manipulators and I work on a Mac so it is not a problem for me to do the work.  It was a matter of understanding. I did not think one could just change to a higher resolution from a lower resolution.  I expected that, as you spread the pixels out they get bigger until it looks grainy.  But I tried it and my graphics manipulator (GraphicConverter) is smarter than I thought.  It appears to work.  Lessee if the printer agrees with me.  The file went from 130 Kb to 6.7 Mb. Good beans.  

It is now too big to upload to Mooneyspace.

You can't just open a file that's low resolution and save it in a higher one (exception being SVG, but that's because everything is vector based.) and have it look right.

Your printer did you a favor by telling you this rather than running the job and having it look bad and being out the money.

When you take a smaller resolution (e.g. 100x100 pixels) and save it in a larger resolution (e.g. 1000x1000) the size will be bigger but the quality will be terrible.

Below is an image to help demonstrate my point. Both are the same 'resolution', but the one on right is what you get if you try to take a source photo of a lower resolution and try to make it bigger.

hi-low-res.jpg

I've attached a couple files for you. One is the Mooney logo in SVG format. Because it's SVG it can be scaled as large as you want it with no penalty. Notice it's a paltry 44kB (The logo is pretty simple all things considered). I've also attached a copy of the SVG scaled to 2000 pixels and saved as a non-SVG format. Notice it's 304kB and further up-scaling would produce degradation if done based on this file because it's no longer in a vectorized format.

If possible, try to make your additions in SVG format so that too can scale with ease. Otherwise you'll need to scale up the SVG to the resolution you want an add your additions to that non-vectorized format.

I'll take a sticker for N6020Q ;) Kidding, best of luck.

Mooney_Logo.svg

2000px-Mooney_Logo.svg.png

• Like 4

A good sign graphics shop should be able to make that for you almost while you wait. If it's just a print shop your going to that specializes in business supply such as business cards and letterhead stuff, they might find it more challenging. My local sign shop has made me a few very similar over the years. Vinyl or screen-printed. Pretty easy to do.

-Tom

Sorry.  I misspoke.  They are encapsulated postscript files (eps) files (common to Macs) and not svg files.   They sent me two of them.  One with the Mooney name tag line and the other was only the "Eagle".

One is 1 Mb and the other is 500 Kb.

MOONEY_Black_R.eps

MOONEY_Eagle.eps

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I made a font that replicates N-numbers. You can install it into your computer and type it on there if you want. Let me know and I'll upload it.

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

Thanks for the offer Raptor.  Does your font also replicate Canadian registration numbers?  If so, I would appreciate a copy.  

Remember that this exercise is only to paste some Mooney paraphernalia on my storage box at the airport.  When it comes time to paint my aircraft, I fully intend out do Byron and Becca's paint scheme.   ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Sorry.  I misspoke.  They are encapsulated postscript files (eps) files (common to Macs) and not svg files.   They sent me two of them.  One with the Mooney name tag line and the other was only the "Eagle".

One is 1 Mb and the other is 500 Kb.

I tried those eps files in photoshop.  Although they are EPS containers, the image appears to be raster format not vector, hence can't be expanded without losing resolution.  I'd love to get a full colour replacement for the all-black Mooney logo I currently have.

Since you have their attention, any chance to ask for vector graphics ?  (I may be totally wrong here.. it's been a few years out of imaging technlogy)

here is the svg file they sent me.  It is only 45 Kb (and therefore suspect in my mind) but I am not a graphic artist.  If you want the name of their graphic designer, I can give it to you.  She was very helpful. PM me.

Mooney_Logo.svg

3 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

here is the svg file they sent me.  It is only 45 Kb (and therefore suspect in my mind) but I am not a graphic artist.  If you want the name of their graphic designer, I can give it to you.  She was very helpful. PM me.

Mooney_Logo.svg

That's what I needed.  Here's a clip of the Mooney Beak... with vector graphics, we can make as large an image as we want without losing detail or getting pixillated.Mooney_Logo2.gif

On 6/3/2016 at 8:57 PM, Cyril Gibb said:

I tried those eps files in photoshop.  Although they are EPS containers, the image appears to be raster format not vector, hence can't be expanded without losing resolution.  I'd love to get a full colour replacement for the all-black Mooney logo I currently have.

Since you have their attention, any chance to ask for vector graphics ?  (I may be totally wrong here.. it's been a few years out of imaging technlogy)

If you open them in Illustrator you can see that they are vector graphics. I was able to resize them nicely in that app.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, omega708 said:

What size do you want the resulting embroidery to be?

I have a color and a black & white embroidery file in .PES format that my wife uses with her machine to customize shirts etc.  

Any size would truly be great.  I can resize it with the digitizing software.  However, I am looking for something in the 2.5"-3.5" range if you have that available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...