Mooney and Rolls Royce

zulu168

I dunno, that Straight 8 in the silver .shadow is pretty heavy. And l-o-n-g . . .

cant vouch for Mooney, up but I once saw a Jaguar Edition Bo with a Rolls Royce turbo prop :wub: . It was pretty, but then I thought about the fuel burn :o--not a good long distance flyer! 

Just buy a used Meridian....at least it's pressurized!  $1MM gets you into the game.  Of course, a replacement battery is something like $2,500, new electric windshield is $25,000, and an engine overhaul is $250,000 or so. 

Here's hoping battery development (or perhaps hydrogen fuel cell development) will allow us to use more of these.  Can you imagine an engine that puts out 75% more power and weighs one half of an IO 360?  ^_^

Aw man!!!

Just now, aviatoreb said:

Trump: Make me rich again!

Trump: please shipped the Mexicans to Canada. We are really short of labour here especially in the construction sector. Mexicans are welcome in Canada. Maybe they can help out Bombardier. 

2 hours ago, zulu168 said:

Trump: please shipped the Mexicans to Canada. We are really short of labour here especially in the construction sector. Mexicans are welcome in Canada. Maybe they can help out Bombardier. 

We have Plenty Americans that are on some kind of support that can work, that need jobs!!

8 minutes ago, Rookie said:

We have Plenty Americans that are on some kind of support that can work, that need jobs!!

Really?  The last jobs report said that unemployment is currently lower than at any time in the past 12 years.  Wages are increasing because labor in this country is starting to be in short supply.

• Like 1

Just now, N1395W said:

Really?  The last jobs report said that unemployment is currently lower than at any time in the past 12 years.  Wages are increasing because labor in this country is starting to be in short supply.

I can only talk about what I see, but all these oil field workers along with all the vendors that were associated with are unemployed. Things are tough in the south.

• Like 1

Monthly US government employment numbers are coming out Friday morning (non-farm payroll).  They are pre-empted by ADP (corporate pay check printing company) on Thursday.  Government numbers are always suspected.  It is nice to have the ADP numbers to compare with.

So much hinges on the price of oil, which is partly supply vs. demand, and another part Bulls vs. Bears....  (Evil side of capitalism)

The price of a barrel of WTI oil has been as low $28/bbl (defining too low) and is currently hovering around $50/bbl..

Below $50 rigs were not being started.

Below $40 rigs were being shut down.

Below $30 there is concern for oil drillers defaulting on bank loans.  All commercial banks become affected in a similar way to the housing struggles of 2008.

The balancing force to all of this is the federal reserve that adjusts the overnight lending rate to banks with two things in mind.  Employment and inflation.

> 6% unemployment is too high. People are unable to find new and improved jobs and are afraid to take the risk that comes with job changes...

> 5% unemployment is high. Especially when you are directly affected. It takes a long time to find the next job at the same level.

> 4% things start to improve in the job market.  People start to look at job opportunities.  Employers consider paying people to stay in their jobs. Inflation is on the horizon

> 3% the employee is often in the driver's seat.  Over-time pay is often available.  The sun is shining for those that want the work.

This is just my over-simplified ideas on how the economy works in general.  It doesn't fit certain situations that wipe out whole parts of the economy.

I was still comfortable when half my industry (polymer processing) moved to Mexico. Less comfortable when the other half went to Asia...

Long way of saying....

Go ahead, Re-start the RR Mooney Project.  Make my day!  

I may be a buyer in 15 years or less for a used one S/N 0009 or higher......

Some may say my glass is half full,

-a-

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rookie said: We have Plenty Americans that are on some kind of support that can work, that need jobs!!

One thing that doesn't get a lot of attention is how "unemployment" is calculated.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/06/news/economy/obama-us-jobs/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Monthly US government employment numbers are coming out Friday morning (non-farm payroll).  They are pre-empted by ADP (corporate pay check printing company) on Thursday.  Government numbers are always suspected.  It is nice to have the ADP numbers to compare with.

So much hinges on the price of oil, which is partly supply vs. demand, and another part Bulls vs. Bears....  (Evil side of capitalism)

The price of a barrel of WTI oil has been as low $28/bbl (defining too low) and is currently hovering around $50/bbl..

Below $50 rigs were not being started.

Below $40 rigs were being shut down.

Below $30 there is concern for oil drillers defaulting on bank loans.  All commercial banks become affected in a similar way to the housing struggles of 2008.

The balancing force to all of this is the federal reserve that adjusts the overnight lending rate to banks with two things in mind.  Employment and inflation.

> 6% unemployment is too high. People are unable to find new and improved jobs and are afraid to take the risk that comes with job changes...

> 5% unemployment is high. Especially when you are directly affected. It takes a long time to find the next job at the same level.

> 4% things start to improve in the job market.  People start to look at job opportunities.  Employers consider paying people to stay in their jobs. Inflation is on the horizon

> 3% the employee is often in the driver's seat.  Over-time pay is often available.  The sun is shining for those that want the work.

This is just my over-simplified ideas on how the economy works in general.  It doesn't fit certain situations that wipe out whole parts of the economy.

I was still comfortable when half my industry (polymer processing) moved to Mexico. Less comfortable when the other half went to Asia...

Long way of saying....

Go ahead, Re-start the RR Mooney Project.  Make my day!  

I may be a buyer in 15 years or less for a used one S/N 0009 or higher......

Some may say my glass is half full,

-a-

The U.S. rotary rig count from Baker Hughes was unchanged at 404 for the week of May 27, 2016. It is 471 rigs (53.8%) lower than last year. Rig count is remains at the lowest level since Baker Hughes started counting rigs in 1949. It is likely the lowest back to around 1860 or 1900 if only rotary drilling rigs are counted.

Here's hoping battery development (or perhaps hydrogen fuel cell development) will allow us to use more of these.  Can you imagine an engine that puts out 75% more power and weighs one half of an IO 360?  

Aw man!!!

And no power loss with altitude!!

back to the DC motor; I think you are more likely to see it used in a hybrid system than with any batteries. Batteries, even the best ones have a very low energy density per lb. Putting hydrogen in a plane just sounds like a bad idea; especially when you factor in the weight required for a proper containment vessel. 

Im imagining something similar to the volt where you have a generator and a small battery bank. For a plane i can see where the batteries would only be used for 'boost' scenarios such as take off or climbing; maybe no more than 20mins of power before you have to dial it back. 

The problem with that motor is that its something like 280kw to get that 350hp. My volt i think only has a 63kw motor (1.4L); the new volt uses a 1.5L all al block which gave it a 75kw output at 100lbs less. Im not sure how much it weighs; but i imagine its well over 300lbs. So when you combine the weight of the 300lb generator, the 130lb motor, you are already over 400lb that most current NA engines weigh.

The good news is there is a ton of RnD going into generator technology right now. Most notably is the resurgence of rotary engines which are much more efficient at being a generator than the current 4cl NA engines they are using today at a much lower weight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

back to the DC motor; I think you are more likely to see it used in a hybrid system than with any batteries. Batteries, even the best ones have a very low energy density per lb. Putting hydrogen in a plane just sounds like a bad idea; especially when you factor in the weight required for a proper containment vessel. 

Im imagining something similar to the volt where you have a generator and a small battery bank. For a plane i can see where the batteries would only be used for 'boost' scenarios such as take off or climbing; maybe no more than 20mins of power before you have to dial it back. 

The problem with that motor is that its something like 280kw to get that 350hp. My volt i think only has a 63kw motor (1.4L); the new volt uses a 1.5L all al block which gave it a 75kw output at 100lbs less. Im not sure how much it weighs; but i imagine its well over 300lbs. So when you combine the weight of the 300lb generator, the 130lb motor, you are already over 400lb that most current NA engines weigh.

The good news is there is a ton of RnD going into generator technology right now. Most notably is the resurgence of rotary engines which are much more efficient at being a generator than the current 4cl NA engines they are using today at a much lower weight. 

Totally agreed., I think Tesla should get into the aviation business.  How many companies out there that makes automobiles and birds? Honda , RR?

• Like 1