Will Samurai Husky pass his checkride?

DXB

Aw, c'mon, give him a break. His responses have matured ALOT since he first appeared, and his flying skills have apparently improved a lot, too.

But I agree, after the last one, this thread was certainly coming . . .

Ninja, prove the doubters wrong again! But do learn to fly looking out the window and not at those big TVs on the panel. Don't go from 25% power to 35% power when the wind is strong! look out the window and push the throttle a little--this is no time to be looking at any instrument, just glance to make sure your hand is on the throttle before pushing it a little bit.

• Like 3

I had ridden my bike over all of our training area so I would give tours to my CFI.  My first solo cross country was marked by a GPS and COM 2 blowing the breaker so the decision to continue was based on the handheld GPS and handheld in the flight bag.   And of course the overly marked up charts. 

Come to find the mechanic did not think rebalancing the circuit was necessary when adding the GPS.  The mechanics version of "Here hold my beer and watch this"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2016 at 9:24 PM, MB65E said:

I think he'll get it. I think he has learned a ton from us all. He's calmed down and listened. 

I'm glad he has stuck around!

-Matt

:)

First solo XC probably next weekend, he wants me to break it up into 2.  I have to do 1 more with the CFI even though i passed the XC check ride with the club. I will schedule that for next week sometime, I still have to draw up the plan and do all of the calculations. Plane went out for its 100 hr and was out all week. 

I've done all my XC so far with out glass. More or less because people keep giving me a hard time about it. You should see what my map looks like.....If anything i am always prepared. 

• Like 3

If you can do unusual flight under the hood and come out and fly home you will do just fine.  There were only a couple of times during training where I started saying.... hmmm where am I and which way is home

yea, thats what we did; He took me somewhere under the hood and got me lost. Basically dropped me into a valley at 1000ft and said 'get me to this airport'.

Luckily the airport was on the coast. So i just climbed found the ocean, found one of the coastal markers (a giant power plant) and the airport from there was just off to the right 6nm; Honestly i thought it would be A LOT harder. 

3 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

Luckily the airport was on the coast. So i just climbed found the ocean, found one of the coastal markers (a giant power plant) and the airport from there was just off to the right 6nm; Honestly i thought it would be A LOT harder. 

It would have been if you didn't know what you were doing ;)

• Like 2

Yep, read through that, there doesn't seem to any real big changes in terms of what maneuvers or how to perform them. From what i understand it gives the Evaluator a little more wiggle room in how they evaluate if a person is doing the maneuver safely and within spec's given the conditions. 

Steep turns and their specific requirements are still in there :(

Final XC dual today; Next time i will be going on my own. Unfortunitly it seems all of this is orchastrated, meaning i cant just go out on my own flight plan. They choose the airports, i have to go over the flight plan with the CFI before the flight, etc, etc.

Anyway; For the final supervised XC we got to take out the SR22 and come back through the bravo of SFO; Picture perfect day... In fact....

20160616_162738.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

Final XC dual today; Next time i will be going on my own. Unfortunitly it seems all of this is orchastrated, meaning i cant just go out on my own flight plan. They choose the airports, i have to go over the flight plan with the CFI before the flight, etc, etc.

Anyway; For the final supervised XC we got to take out the SR22 and come back through the bravo of SFO; Picture perfect day... In fact....

20160616_162738.jpg

You have some beautiful scenery to fly over up there.

It was a treat, normally we are over livermore which right now is brown hills. I have to admit though, that is a reallllly nice picture. I wish i brought my camera instead of using my phone. The other pictures didnt come out as nicely, which is a shame, i thought this S7 was supposed to have a really good camera, but it doenst look better than my iphone6.

Also flying through the bravo wasnt as much work as i thought.... Just call up norcal, request clearance, They give you an altitude and say 'stay west of the 101' and that was it. The next time they talked to us was when we left the bravo when they said 'clear of the bravo, stay out'. 

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

You have a map..... how terribly quaint.  (Said by the dowager Duchess from Downton Abbey).  

Quite a coincidence:  the USPS brought me a nice, big envelope today; inside was the new Cinci sectional, $9.88 delivered. I am subscribed to four of them, which come out twice a year. They never overheat, and the batteries don't go dead.