Will Samurai Husky pass his checkride?

DXB

The 10 day IR schools are great, when...

1) Have tremendous experience with the plane you intend to fly IFR in.

2) You are already locked in to one plane.

3) You know all the interconnections of all the systems.

4) You do nothing else but discuss Mooney flying in your free time.

5) You like flying desktop simulators. So much of this is procedures more than actual flying.  For learning a lot of details related to the IR system, the MSFS has some interesting training materials you can easily learn 90% of the practical subject matter.

6) the PP syllabus is written for an ordinary 17 year old to follow.  The IR takes a jump to college level in detail and quantity.  

7) there are a few texts that need to be consumed. Flying in the system and weather are two important topics. The authors are listed around here somewhere.  Buck and the the other more famous guy.... (ask if you can't find them...)

8) I used American Flyers 10 day program, took me a month to finish.  I only had 9 days of vacation and weekends.  Winter weather adds to the challenge.

9) Cramming that much material in so short of time is a cognitive challenge.  Getting to the test is one thing, having it stay in your brain without using it causes costly retraining....

10) With The ten day program at AF, you get a few instructors and a few different planes.  You don't notice the instructor is different.  And you don't notice the planes are different.  It's like college.  There is a job to do.  Get it done, properly.

11) get as much actual training in IMC.  Some people don't get much IMC during their training.  Winter in NJ supplies a lot of clouds.  If you run a lot of computer simulations at work, the experience will be quite similar... interpreting data at a high rate of speed.  Make decisions based on that data.  Make very few unnoticed mistakes.   

12) All the things that bothered you so far, go out the window. Confidence built on knowledge and experience frees you up to really enjoy flying.

This could be only Mooney Knowledge and only Mooney experience.  But, I did the IR training in a few C172s.

Get started, just don't be in a rush to finish before you can use it...

Each CFI and CFII brings another idea, experience, and way of doing things.  Collect as many CfIs as you can.

At this point you get pretty good at being a student.  Asking questions when you don't understand something gets easier.  You also go into every session loaded with questions probing for answers. There is so much to know.

Good luck!

Best regards,

-a-

The fastest I have ever done and Instrument rating was 8 days with an exception student.  On the accelerated program it's usually 11 days.  The written should already have been done.

I'm close to you, but I won't do it in a Cirrus.  I haven't flown them enough.  I personally like to do the whole flying part in an airplane.  A sim just isn't realistic enough for me.  I also like to do it in as much weather as is available.  It a lot easier if you use your own airplane.  Rental airplanes just always seem too have problems.

• Like 4

It took me 11 days (with the remedial intersection hold)...My instrument DPE..played a dirty trick on me I thought at the time...file and take off ,hood on and intercept the airway set on # 1 vor....and 1 minute into the flight he gives me an intersection hold based on two different vors when I am not even established on the first vor.....I could have done it given a little more time but we were only only 3 min out from the mystery intersection and of course I blew right past it!..I remember complaining about atc always gives you 5 min to set up the navigation..he said tough...PIC believes the airplane itself is a lousy teaching enviroment...noisy,bumpy even dangerous with both heads in the cockpit...they like to teach the basic handflying,scan technique,tracking and intercepting courses ,enroute and than approaches (I don't know if they still teach ndb )etc than go fly in the actual aircraft.

And 30 yrs later,enroute PAKT for a little Salmon fishing...Anchorage center issues hold instructions fully 30 min out ,saying you will # 3 on approach and a Alaska airlines 737 just went missed...the hold itself...so easy,just hold on initial fix on the approach course...12 or 13 turns later the scud has lifted to 700 Ovc .I had refueled at Port Hardy BC and had enough fuel to return all the way back to VFR departure point if I had to all the while telling my wife about the failed hold during my instrument check ride .

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, rpcc said:

So just read this thread.  Holy crap I need a nap.

Just about puts a fork in taking your ppl in anything more than a basic trainer.

He ended up in an SR22 I believe. It was great drama for a long time. Glad he finished his PPL.

we were all worried about him. Haven't heard from him in a long time. 

-Matt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rpcc said:

So just read this thread.  Holy crap I need a nap.

You do realize that this was not his only thread? Part 1 is around here somewhere . . . .

I thought I  had trained in the boonies, and was horrified by his big city tales & costs. Then I moved here, and realized that KHTW really wasn't in the boonies at all . . . . .

Edited by Hank