ADS-B WX on a Garmin 696

Just completed the ADS-B upgrade on my M20K. A 530W is the WAAS source and a Garmin 345 in/out transponder was added as well. I get traffic on the 530 but not WX. I'd like to use my 696 to display weather as I did previously with XM even if it is limited to NEXRAD. Is this possible and if so, how? Not really interested in the I-pad/Foreflight lash up up unless, of course, that's my only option. Thanks in advance!

Just completed the ADS-B upgrade on my M20K. A 530W is the WAAS source and a Garmin 345 in/out transponder was added as well. I get traffic on the 530 but not WX. I'd like to use my 696 to display weather as I did previously with XM even if it is limited to NEXRAD. Is this possible and if so, how? Not really interested in the I-pad/Foreflight lash up up unless, of course, that's my only option. Thanks in advance!

The 345 should be able to display both traffic and weather on the 530 through a wired connection and the 696 if it is Bluetooth capable. I think it should be no more than doing a Bluetooth connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I did (GDL39); however, I couldn't figure out how to use the GDL-39 and keep it "slaved" to my 430W.  As a result I ended up just using my iPad for weather and kept the 696 slaved to the 430W.  Would love to know if anyone has both things working.

On 5/31/2016 at 9:35 AM, Kris_Adams said:

That's what I did (GDL39); however, I couldn't figure out how to use the GDL-39 and keep it "slaved" to my 430W.  As a result I ended up just using my iPad for weather and kept the 696 slaved to the 430W.  Would love to know if anyone has both things working.

I have a toggle switch that I switch between the GTN650 and the GDL39 to the 696. It's a bit a of knob twisting and button pushing to first transfer the flight plan from the GTN-650 then switch to the Wx from the GDL-39. If there is a change in flight plan, you have to redo the know twisting and button pushing, or edit directly on the 696 if not a major change. The only reason I keep the GDL-39 is for this. Otherwise, it would be better to get the FS210 (which cannot drive the 696). At one time, I had a 3 way switch (to get input from the Zaon XRX traffic). With ADS-B out from the GDL-88, I don't bother.

• Like 1

Is there some insurmountable technical reason that Garmin could not get info from the GDL 88 to the 696, perhaps through the GTN 750? I'm happy seeing weather and traffic on the 750 but having it on the 696 as well might free up the 750 for other tasks at times.  

• 4 weeks later...

A little pricy but the Garmin area 660 will Bluetooth to the 345 for your wx and traffic, plus you get all the goodies Garmin offers in the 660 box. I've been considering using the 660 instead of the iPad , just wonder if the screen will be big enough so 6", if anyone has the 660 how do you like the display and size of display

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danb said:

A little pricy but the Garmin area 660 will Bluetooth to the 345 for your wx and traffic, plus you get all the goodies Garmin offers in the 660 box. I've been considering using the 660 instead of the iPad , just wonder if the screen will be big enough so 6", if anyone has the 660 how do you like the display and size of display

I just bought the 660. Does everything the larger 796 does. Perfect size for the Mooney mounted on the yoke. Like the screen size and brightness. 

9 hours ago, stevesm20b said:

I just bought the 660. Does everything the larger 796 does. Perfect size for the Mooney mounted on the yoke. Like the screen size and brightness. 

A 696 is mounted on a swivel RAM mount and linked to the GTN 750. I pull up WP page for airport info, XM music, approach plates, check lists, and more.

ISTM the yoke is for flying the airplane - controlling the elevator and ailerons. And maybe for keeping headset off the floor when not in use. Seriously, there are quite a few switches and knobs low on the panel, e.g. the Aspen knobs and buttons, that are blocked from sight by anything mounted on the yoke.   :rolleyes:   

IMG_20151127_171053181.jpg

Its great that we have so many options in "portable" avionics. The new Garmin 660 looks interesting, but an iPad Mini 4 has more screen area, and Garmin's FlightStream 210 allows ADS-B weather and traffic to appear as overlays in ForeFlight. The flight plans are transferred to and from the GTN 750. Being a bit crazy for data, I have a Garmin 796 that displays XM weather, which I prefer to the ADS-B weather. Nice to have them both. The 796 has quite a few options, and the data pages can be set up for convenience- not just another map. In my setup I use the GTN 650 for two things 1. The Traffic page is always on set to the 6 mile range, changing to 2 miles at the touch of a button. (Traffic warnings show up on the GTN 750 and the GTN. 650, but it is easier to change range on the GTN 650). and 2. I couple an in panel CDI to VOR frequencies enroute. I like redundancy, and the CDI can be helpful in quickly determining actual winds aloft directions.

Still like the Dynon D1/D2 portable EFIS, but I gave mine to a friend as the FlightStream 210/Foreflight combination has an AHERS derived EFIS display-especially nice in split mode.

Don't need all this "stuff" to fly safely. but it sure is nice to have. I think that we will soon see more STCs to use Dynon, and others, in our panels which will bring GTN functionality at far lower cost.

• Like 1