Fuel pick up tube gasket

Zulee

I noticed fuel smell in the cockpit last year and after removing the side panel I saw blue stains all around the fuel pick up tube. A new set of rubber gaskets were ordered from mooney and replaced.  Almost one year later and after a new interior, this is what I found today...same problem with brand new gaskets.  I'm curious if anyone else is having this issue and if so, how did you fix.  And by the way, my tanks were resealed by week no more two years ago. And yes, my IA toqued the screws around the gasket per mooney. 

Thanks 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Interesting photos, Zulee.  

Do you get the feeling that the tube may be the source of the leak?

I don't recall many reports of leaks around that particular device.  Usually a similar leak occurs at the fuel level floats.  Proper cleaning, sealing, and torqueing of fresh hardware could be the cure.  But, that is a lot of blue right on the tube.  I would be interested in both ends.

The hose looks new. Is it the proper size and material?  Is it tightened properly?

one screw looks bluer than the rest.  We're the screws properly sealed and torqued or did somebody decide sealant isn't part of the procedure?  Fuel has an incredibly low viscosity. It can really seap along threads of a bolt. 

Something seams to be amiss here.  Look for parts that are so old or worn they don't work properly anymore.  Is that rust where the tube enters the flange?

are those screws from 1965?

Where are the procedures for installing that assembly?  Did the mechanic use the MM and follow the guidance?

PP eyes.  Not a mechanic.  My 1965 C got new fuel tubes when they were about 45 years old.  No issues after that.

Do you talk with your mechanic about these kind of things?  Do you use an MSC?

Best regards,

-a-

or ask that guy (down arrow here)

Just remove the fuel pickup and clean the area, the gasket and the fuel pick up with MEK. Apply PRC-1422B sealant to all the mating areas including the screws and assemble back the pick up. Allow one day or more for sealant curing before putting gas in the tank.

José

• Like 2

Piper tanks have a similar gasket and arrange tbo, but they're cork. We've changed quite a few. Get or make a new cork gasket and coat with a thin layer of permatex aviation sealer then torque down.  It won't leak.  Rubber is a terrible gasket material for fuel and valve covers.  The gasket runs away from the torque.   

• Like 1

The hose is new and also ordered from mooney. I didn't see the screws until I took the panel off. I doubt they are from 1965 but I would go with 1981. 

Saying I am pretty frustrated with the IA would be an understatement. 

Thanhs for all the responses, I do appreciate it. 

I will be having a serious conversation with the mechanic first thing tomorrow. 

I have to agree with Piloto on this one. I had a fuel sender that resisted all attempts to get it to stop leaking. I finally coated all surfaces with sealant including both sides of the gasket and it stopped all the leaks. I would paint both sides of the tube penetration with sealant also.