New Owner Report - M20J

New Mooney owner here. I thought I would share some of my observations with you grizzled old pilots so you can be reminded of your first day in a Mooney. I am based in Knoxville and the plane is now at KTYS. My small engineering firm has a couple pilots on staff (me and MS'er AaronDC8402) and we decided to buy a plane, ostensibly so we can better reach our clients in person.

I just got my PPL about 3 months ago (after flying for 2 years, a long story). Tomorrow I expect to crack 100hrs total in my log book and finish my 5hrs of transition training (required by insurance) before soloing my new-to-me M20J. 

She is a 1989 201 SE with a 210hp (?) engine by Firewall Forward Inc. Original interior and exterior in fine shape, always hangared. Really comfy seats and an updated panel (Garmin 480W, GTX330, PMA7000B, EDM700). I am quite smitten.

The buying experience was fun. We found her in FL on Trade-a-Plane and contacted the selling broker (William at O'Brien Aviation) directly. All our dealings with him were straightforward and enjoyable. We did not use a buyer's agent, with no regrets. We paid for a Pre-Purchase Inspection at Daytona Aircraft Services which is a Mooney-Certified center and was very close to seller. Real good experience with them as well. No surprises found so we had them complete about 3 AMUs of other work like gear shock discs etc at my expense. Traveling logistics to FL to retrieve the plane got complicated so when the repairs were complete my impatience got the best of me and I closed on the sale and had it ferried up to us in Knoxville (KTYS). I had just bought my first airplane without ever flying it. Ferry pilot reported boring flight with no squawks. Perfect.

Our transition instructor barely meets the 25 hrs M20 time required by insurance co., but we had lots of experience with him so up we went. I have read plenty of MS opinions about training with a Mooney expert for type-specific instruction. Haven't done that, and am wondering what I am missing. I would like to hear from anyone who learned to fly their plane, THEN got Mooney-expert instruction. I may seek this out sooner rather than later if justified.

First flight impressions: Cozy cockpit but I felt at home immediately (I am 5'-9" and 160lbs). Great visibility on the ground and in the air. I love the way it responds to the controls- very direct, good balance, no slop. It wants to fly and when it does it flies smoothly with no bad habits. I fell in love immediately.

A few specifics (view these in comparison to my training in an Archer III):

• Takes off flat and just starts climbing
  • Climbs eagerly, even near max gross wt
  • Elec trim is very sensitive, I need to use manual trim wheel at speed
  • I tended to blow past my altitude while leveling off due to continuous pitch-up during acceleration
  • the sound of wind noise increasing as the speed keeps rising is one of my new favorite things in the world
  • descent and deceleration not difficult, just plan ahead (normal practices)
  • on approach control feels positive, lands like a dream at 70 knots (floats like a low-wing, nothing unexpected)
  • ground behavior superb, with precise steering and great view all around
  • back seat is a nice place to spend time too, with plenty of room and a great view

Summary after just a few hrs: The most fun I have ever had in the air. It is easier to fly than I expected. No intimidating P-factor like a Bonanza I have flown, nor as finicky with prop/power settings. No control friction and sluggish wallowing around the pattern like an Archer.

My main question so far: Why would I want to fly anything else?

Ben

And yes I realize I am a total noob. I will take it slow. 

large.BenAaron_1ZX.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats !

I bought mine with about 100 hours and although my transition instructor owned a E model Mooney himself, there was not a lot of Mooney specific training to be had on my simple J model. I remember the two main things were approach stall can be "interesting" if the ball is not centered, then 80 final, 70 over the fence, and never ever ever let her touch down until she is done flying.  Search the forum and read about the 3rd bounce and prop strike potential.  I later experience it and saved it without damage,  That can be an interesting ride  too...

• Like 1

Now one of the most important things you can do is get your instrument rating.  

What a great story and congratulations ! 

Edit. Also don't take a Mooney to a full stall intentionally.  That's just my opinion.   It doesn't behave like an archer in a stall. 

• Like 1

I learned to fly in a Tomahawk....got my PPL in that and other than the intro flight and one other in a Warrior, I thought just being in the air was swell.  Never stepped foot in a Traumahawk after the ink dried on my ticket.  The Archer was the balls...climbed way better, faster, and four seats...  Approaching 100 hours, I stepped up to the T-Arrow IV.  Holy bejesus...faster still, retract gear...it was the bomb.  About 150 hours (still with only my private...back then needed 200 hours for the instrument), I stepped into the 252.  First non-Piper plane...and that 252 was 100x better than the Piper T-Arrow.  Got hooked on Mooneys and now own one.

BUT!  Once you step up to bigger and better, you'll want more....a friend got a Meridian....whoa...turbine power.  Then I got to sit right seat on a few flights in a real jet...a Citation Mustang2....even better still.  Get the drift...it never stops what you want to fly next.  Only money and skills are limiting...and it's mostly the money!

Get your instrument ticket pronto...fly a couple hundred hours...you'll move up if the wallet allows!!  But enjoy the 201...it's a great plane!

Edited by carqwik
  • Like 1

Congratulations on getting a great plane! May your excitement continue for many more years.

I bought my Mooney shortly after my PPL checkride. Insurance required 15 hours dual  which was interesting and educational at the beginning, and turned into "how many airports can we visit" at the end. The variety of airports was good, it exposed me to many different runway sizes and shapes. A month after my signoff, I went to a MAPA PPP, thinking that having learned to fly the Mooney, I should also learn to fly it right. It was an excellent decision! My training was tailored to my VFR skillset. I highly recommend it. After completing my Instrument Rating a few years later, I went to another one.

• Like 1

A tip on leveling off without continuing to climb; slow your rate of climb down at 500' before your final cruise altitude (like half the rate you were climbing to that point), and get it down to 100' a minute the last 100'.  It will make you look like a pro to your passengers.

Tom

• Like 2

Congrats! She is gorgeous! Ditto on the Instrument rating, you really need it if you want to utilize for business and it will make you a better pilot. I'm currently in instrument training and have had more time under the hood than not in my Mooney. Also, for what it's worth, my instructor had me do some engine out practice on departure, long runway 100' AGL and land. Then 1000' AGL and return to departure runway, opposite direction and land downwind. It is a real eye opener as to how extreme the forward pitch needs to be to maintain airspeed during climb out, glad he had me do it.

Best wishes,

Steve

• Like 1

For information about Mooney Specific training after buying your airplane....

Try looking into MAPA PPP...

Training that experienced Mooney pilots tend to enjoy.  It is training by Mooney CFIIs for Mooney pilots.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Now the fun begins. Mooneyspacers will help you spend all that net income your plane is generating. Seems like you need a new Hartzell scimitar prop to go with that extra 10 hp under the cowling. Will it improve performance...well, maybe, but it will look bitchin! Also, time to marry that Garmin 480 (I loved my 480!) with some serious glass, either Garmin or Aspen, take your pick. While you're at it, update that engine monitor with the new cool Electronics International CGR-30. And don't forget the Garmin 345 transponder to give ADS-B to that new glass panel you'll put in.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

On May 29, 2016 at 7:48 PM, carqwik said:

I learned to fly in a Tomahawk....got my PPL in that and other than the intro flight and one other in a Warrior, I thought just being in the air was swell.  Never stepped foot in a Traumahawk after the ink dried on my ticket.  The Archer was the balls...climbed way better, faster, and four seats...  Approaching 100 hours, I stepped up to the T-Arrow IV.  Holy bejesus...faster still, retract gear...it was the bomb.  About 150 hours (still with only my private...back then needed 200 hours for the instrument), I stepped into the 252.  First non-Piper plane...and that 252 was 100x better than the Piper T-Arrow.  Got hooked on Mooneys and now own one.

BUT!  Once you step up to bigger and better, you'll want more....a friend got a Meridian....whoa...turbine power.  Then I got to sit right seat on a few flights in a real jet...a Citation Mustang2....even better still.  Get the drift...it never stops what you want to fly next.  Only money and skills are limiting...and it's mostly the money!

Get your instrument ticket pronto...fly a couple hundred hours...you'll move up if the wallet allows!!  But enjoy the 201...it's a great plane!

I learned to fly in a Traumahawk too. If that didn't scare us off I guess nothing will!

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, APTUS Pilot said:

New Mooney owner here. I thought I would share some of my observations with you grizzled old pilots so you can be reminded of your first day in a Mooney. I am based in Knoxville and the plane is now at KTYS. My small engineering firm has a couple pilots on staff (me and MS'er AaronDC8402) and we decided to buy a plane, ostensibly so we can better reach our clients in person.

I just got my PPL about 3 months ago (after flying for 2 years, a long story). Tomorrow I expect to crack 100hrs total in my log book and finish my 5hrs of transition training (required by insurance) before soloing my new-to-me M20J. 

She is a 1989 201 SE with a 210hp (?) engine by Firewall Forward Inc. Original interior and exterior in fine shape, always hangared. Really comfy seats and an updated panel (Garmin 480W, GTX330, PMA7000B, EDM700). I am quite smitten.

The buying experience was fun. We found her in FL on Trade-a-Plane and contacted the selling broker (William at O'Brien Aviation) directly. All our dealings with him were straightforward and enjoyable. We did not use a buyer's agent, with no regrets. We paid for a Pre-Purchase Inspection at Daytona Aircraft Services which is a Mooney-Certified center and was very close to seller. Real good experience with them as well. No surprises found so we had them complete about 3 AMUs of other work like gear shock discs etc at my expense. Traveling logistics to FL to retrieve the plane got complicated so when the repairs were complete my impatience got the best of me and I closed on the sale and had it ferried up to us in Knoxville (KTYS). I had just bought my first airplane without ever flying it. Ferry pilot reported boring flight with no squawks. Perfect.

Our transition instructor barely meets the 25 hrs M20 time required by insurance co., but we had lots of experience with him so up we went. I have read plenty of MS opinions about training with a Mooney expert for type-specific instruction. Haven't done that, and am wondering what I am missing. I would like to hear from anyone who learned to fly their plane, THEN got Mooney-expert instruction. I may seek this out sooner rather than later if justified.

First flight impressions: Cozy cockpit but I felt at home immediately (I am 5'-9" and 160lbs). Great visibility on the ground and in the air. I love the way it responds to the controls- very direct, good balance, no slop. It wants to fly and when it does it flies smoothly with no bad habits. I fell in love immediately.

• I tended to blow past my altitude while leveling off due to continuous pitch-up during acceleration
  • the sound of wind noise increasing as the speed keeps rising is one of my new favorite things in the world
  • on approach control feels positive, lands like a dream at 70 knots (floats like a low-wing, nothing unexpected)
  • back seat is a nice place to spend time too, with plenty of room and a great view

Summary after just a few hrs: The most fun I have ever had in the air. It is easier to fly than I expected. No intimidating P-factor like a Bonanza I have flown, nor as finicky with prop/power settings. No control friction and sluggish wallowing around the pattern like an Archer.

Ben

large.BenAaron_1ZX.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, APTUS Pilot said:

Ben

large.BenAaron_1ZX.jpg

Congrats Guys! I am glad it all worked out like you had hoped. I know there were moments of fear purchasing as you did. Stay in touch!