Favorite shop for Century Autopilot Repair?

mikefox

• 10 months later...

Just got done speaking with Barry from Autopilots Central in Tulsa, OK.  I am in total AWE of this individual.  I told him the issue I was having with my autopilot and he gave me a couple things to test and within seconds he knew exactly what was happening with it.  This is a problem that I bought the airplane with and the previous owners have had a few different places troubleshoot the problem with no success.  Barry hasn't even seen the airplane and just a youtube video of what it was doing and is confident he knows exactly what the problem is.  I am sending out my HSI to him tomorrow and hopefully when it returns, I will have a "whole" autopilot with the ability to track a NAV.

In addition to his knowledge of older autopilots, he is just a real "genuine" guy and seems eager to help.

Just a public "THANK YOU" to you Barry.

Brett

Quote: Bnicolette

Just got done speaking with Barry from Autopilots Central in Tulsa, OK.  I am in total AWE of this individual.  I told him the issue I was having with my autopilot and he gave me a couple things to test and within seconds he knew exactly what was happening with it.  This is a problem that I bought the airplane with and the previous owners have had a few different places troubleshoot the problem with no success.  Barry hasn't even seen the airplane and just a youtube video of what it was doing and is confident he knows exactly what the problem is.  I am sending out my HSI to him tomorrow and hopefully when it returns, I will have a "whole" autopilot with the ability to track a NAV.

In addition to his knowledge of older autopilots, he is just a real "genuine" guy and seems eager to help.

Just a public "THANK YOU" to you Barry.

Brett

My NSD360A HSI should be arriving at autopilot central tomorrow.  Dang was it expensive to just ship out.  $105 for ground and $265 for overnight...........so, I elected to send it ground.  Now I wish I would have overnighted it.  I'm getting antsy to fly my baby.  I can't wait to get it back and then hopefully be able to fly down the ILS or track a VOR with the autopilot.  I had been just using the heading and altitude hold or using the REV mode to track a Localizer inbound.  However, I couldn't stand not having that part of the autopilot working.  Those functions (NAV/APR) haven't worked in over 10 years according to the last owner so if this HSI comes back and everything works, I will be OVERJOYED and other than the upcoming rigging on my airplane it is now going to be Perfect!!

I will advise when I get the HSI back in and reading posts about autopilot central folks here, I am very confident that it is going to be fixed!!

I love this forum and it is such a GREAT source of advice and information!!

Thanks Scott.  I have definitely decided to keep the Mooney for the forseeable future.  I don't know how to explain it, but I know we all feel it.  I have just grown so fond of this airplane and finally just about have it perfect.  It would be a waste to get rid of it now and even though I won't be commuting to work with it I still want to have it around to play with and will give us an excuse to take some daycations with the wife and occasionally the boys.

I would love to upgrade, but I just don't have any extra funds to do anything right now.  I am doing what I absolutely need to do to keep it airworthy and functional.  Someday perhaps, but for now, it will have to do.  It hasn't been overhauled since it's been installed and since I already have overhauled the following just this year, I should be good for a while:

Attitude Indicator (Vacuum)

Attitude Indicator (Electric)

NSD360A (Both)

I'm tapped out now, but in the future, I would love to upgrade to EFIS.  I'm just excited to see my autopilot slide down the ILS finally all by itself.  Yippie.

B~

• 2 weeks later...

Got my HSI installed today and took it out for a "test drive".  Awesome!!  I now have a complete autopilot and every function works.  I rode the ILS down to 50' AGL before knocking the AP off and it was "dead on".  Hats off to Barry Sparks (Autopilot Central) for troubleshooting my issue with me over the phone and for fixing/overhauling my HSI.  First Class!!

I flew to work today to get some paperwork done and help out a bit.  My goal was to engage the A/P @ 50' AGL then not disengage it again till 50' AGL before landing.  Just playing.

I am just simply amazed at the capability of this older A/P. (C31)  Of course I don't have vertical speed, just a pitch function but it is almost set it and forget it, it is very stable.  Pushing the ALT button even climbing @500' fpm caused no issue and the plane just settled in on the altitude and flew happily along.  The glideslope at my destination airport has been out of service, so I upon crossing the FAF I was gear down and t/o flaps.  I had my speed nailed on 80kias and just rolled the pitch down reduced power and the A/P just did a masterful job.  I am really impressed with it and so happy to have the NAV and APR functions working.

• 6 years later...

I’m having issues w/ my Century 2000 computer.  Factory has been unresponsive to calls from my Avionics guy, so I’m turning to MS for recommendations of where I should send it. (I wish I had a digital option that is compatible with my Aspen. The Century has been to the factory hospital too frequently.)

• 2 weeks later...

Autopilot Central......  Ask for Steve.  They are sincerely not after your money.  Steve has helped me numerous times by phone.  Great advice by a very experienced person who can walk anyone (well maybe not anyone) through a series of troubleshooting test to determine exactly what the problem is.

Rick