A Kit Plane For Mooniacs

3 hours ago, HRM said:

. . . you really can't get away from cockpit humor when discussing Mooney's, can you?

You do realize the scatological origin of "cockpit" and "stick" don't you? They predate Al's first designs . . .

My understanding is that the rudder authority comes from the forward lean, not the trim mechanism; it leaves the rudder approximately vertical in the flare, maximizing control authority.

Just now, Hank said:

You do realize the scatological origin of "cockpit" and "stick" don't you? They predate Al's first designs . . .

My understanding is that the rudder authority comes from the forward lean, not the trim mechanism; it leaves the rudder approximately vertical in the flare, maximizing control authority.

I've never heard this one before, but it sounds official, so run with it! I don't think Mooneys are known for awesome rudder authority. I know mine runs out pretty quick in a crosswind.

Well shoot- someone could take the concept of a M20 and truly build a composite aircraft.  I'm just daydreaming but start with a medium body design.  Keep the airfoil.  Keep the backwards stab.  Build the wing in carbon fiber.  Fuselage carbon fiber.  Dual entry with mid position doors to ease passenger access.  Minor changes for aerodynamic improvements.  Significant weight savings.  Turbo Diesel engine? BRS plus maybe a bit of useful load in fuel capacity decrease with an even more efficient engine which would be offset by a heavier engine.  But... That would be a cool plane.  Like an RV 10 but it wouldn't look like it came out of a box at toys r us.  

Go for it, Brad. You've got a mid body to copy shapes from, and should be able to find the airfoil design on line to replicate.

It's called "experimental" aviation for a reason. Experiment with it and see how well it works, then tweak until you're satisfied. Like Sabremech did with the chinless cowl for C models that is routing through approval paperwork now.

2 hours ago, DaV8or said:

I've never heard this one before, but it sounds official, so run with it! I don't think Mooneys are known for awesome rudder authority. I know mine runs out pretty quick in a crosswind.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Hank's right, from everything I've been told.  An apocryphal story is that when Gordon Baxter was writing his book "The Al Mooney Story", Al himself sketched the Mooney tail at high angles of attack for him to prove the effectiveness of the forward leaning rudder hinge line.  Not just in the flare, but in slow flight, stalls etc.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Well, I didn't mean to imply just Mooneys.

I think it's more penile than scatological.

Don't get me started on the manual gear...

8 hours ago, HRM said:

Well, I didn't mean to imply just Mooneys.

I think it's more penile than scatological.

Don't get me started on the manual gear...

There's a "you know you've got a big Johnson when" tshirt hiding in there somewhere!

5 hours ago, Hank said:

There's a "you know you've got a big Johnson when" tshirt hiding in there somewhere!

I forgot to add...my wife would say it's more infantile...