Longest cross country flight

2 hours ago, daver328 said:

My longest cross country in an H-60 was only a few hundred miles. Installing the external store racks and tanks on an H60 really makes it a pig. And then it makes it look like a Ruusian helicopter, which stupid Air Force guys might shoot down (yeah it really happened) because they were at the golf course instead of studying friendly /foe identification cards! 

(Ahem, excuse me) but ) I flew "hands on" the whole way. No auto pilot. No trim.

In the Air Force, did you even really fly or just know which buttons to push? Lol

GO ARMY!!! (Love giving Air Force guys crap, but you'll find its all in good fun, no real bad feelings)

Yea, I know about the over excited F-15. That was failure on multiple levels. Moving on to lighter topics....The other day I was talking to one of my Army SF buddies and he asked me if I understood the concept of SUCK? He said the Infantryman in the rain and mud says, "This Sucks!" The Ranger in a similar situation says, "This doesn't suck enough!" The Airman flying over the muck looks down and thinks, I bet it sucks down there. I spent a few years stomping in the mud until I decided I'd rather ride.

• Like 1

My Longest trip was from Ft Lauderdale KFXE to the old Don Torcuato SADD airport in Argentina. With one fuel stop at Manaus SBEG in Brazil. In an M20R with LR tanks (130 gallons) at 13,000 ft and 150kts. Only equipment for WX was a Stormscope, a must in Brazil. Over the Amazons the only safe emergency landing is on a river and hope the piranhas don't kiss you.

Upon landing in Manaus the airport inspector sprayed the plane to keep US bugs from entering the country. After seeing the big bugs in Brazil there is no chance for US bugs in Brazil. Red ants are the size of Palmetto roaches and Roaches are over 3" and they fly.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

My longest was from Denver, Tuscon, FXE, Stella Maris, Santo Domingo, DR., San Juan, PR., St. Marten, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Grenada, Curacao, Panama City, Guatemala City, San Miguel Allende, Mx, Tuscon, Denver.  The trip was about 3 weeks and I forget the mileage but over 7000NM. All the way around the the Caribbean Basin.  In other years I have traveled to St. Kitts, Mayaguez,PR., St. Croix, and Tortola in the Caribbean.  In the years before security became such an issue I did a lot of trips to Latin America.  I like to travel and the Mooney is a good traveling machine.

I flew nonstop in a Cessna 210 from Crete to Djibouti.  12.5 hours and no autopilot.....16 hours of fuel endurance with a ferry tank....started out in Toronto ended up in Zimbabwe.

That is longer than my longest flights in the 747-400........

In the Mooney world I have done three x-countires now between Van Nuys and Caldwell NJ in the past 12 months one of them via Sun N Fun......fuel stops of course....Thank God for my Stec 30 w/alt hold and GPSS.  1964 M20c

Edited by Jim Peace