Longest cross country flight

The strat boys are a whole different game...

https://theaviationist.com/2016/05/25/usaf-b-52s-perform-show-of-force-in-jordan-during-35-hour-nonstop-mission-from-the-u-s/

My best is about 17 hours nonstop from Andrews to Yokota AB, JP. 2 air refuelings 

Finally 31 May is the 49th anniversary of the first nonstop Atlantic crossing by a helicopter, 9 air refuelings.

• Like 1

My longest one day was KEKA to KRAP with a stop for fuel at KBYI (Burley ID) 951 nm.  This was back in 1990 when I went to Oshkosh in my 63C.  Wouldn't have been to bad but I left after work (night crew at Safeway) so it made for a long day.

Pritch

IMG_0797.JPG

10 hours ago, amillet said:

I have a bucket list/fantasy of circumventing the perimeter of the continental U.S. landing at airports at the farthest corners.

image.png

You will need to land elsewhere before 0Q5 (Shelter Cove) no fuel. Plus 033 (Eureka Muni/ Samoa) is the furthest west airport in the Continental US.

Pritch

It's not cross country unless you cross the country ~me

Jun 2012 - Linden to San Diego

sandiego.jpg

October 2012 - Linden to Phoenix and Chicago (fleeing Hurricane Sandy)

chicago.jpg

October 2013 - $1 gas in San Marcos 11 hours non-stop. Visit Phoenix and Vegas

vegas.jpg

December 2013 - Caribbean Circumnavigation in 2 weeks

caribbean.jpg

July 2014 - Canadian Arctic expedition

canada.jpg

March 2016 - Caribbean adventure #2

caribbean2.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

And you all thought Stinky wasn't going to show up. I just want to do whatever he does for work to free himself like this!

I'm not sure which I would prefer--his time off, or his fuel budget! :D

• Like 1

The award goes to 201er.. :)   Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.

I was wondering when he would chime in.. Love those YouTube videos.

When's our next excursion. I'm running out of your videos and tired of re-runs.

-Tom

• Like 2

I've got 4 states left to get to all 50 (NE, SD, NH, RI). I told my wife that I wanted to circumnavigate the US in a GA plane. She looked at me and walked away. I suspect I'll have to wait until I retire in a few years. I don't expect to rival 201er, but I'm willing to burn a few dead dinosaurs.

2 hours ago, dlthig said:

I've got 4 states left to get to all 50 (NE, SD, NH, RI). I told my wife that I wanted to circumnavigate the US in a GA plane. She looked at me and walked away. I suspect I'll have to wait until I retire in a few years. I don't expect to rival 201er, but I'm willing to burn a few dead dinosaurs.

Don't feel bad, I've only been to 26 states and 2 territories in my Mooney. 49 states otherwise.

41 minutes ago, teejayevans said: Hawaii seems to be the hardest of states to fly to, at least in a Mooney

Does renting a Tomakawk and flying it around the islands count?

Negative! Minus points for cheating!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, daver328 said:

Excuse us Air Force boy. But if you would shelve your Air Force ego for a moment ..., I think he meant IN A FREAKIN MOONEY!!!!

Yea, I figured as much, but I just happened to read the story that morning. Relax Francis! Besides, I threw you a bone, so to speak, with the whirley-bird reference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daver328 said:

Excuse us Air Force boy. But if you would shelve your Air Force ego for a moment ..., I think he meant IN A FREAKIN MOONEY!!!!

At least you were an Aviator, Dave.  I feel like I walked all 50 states.  Freakin' Air Force. ;)

Edited by N1395W
  • Like 1

My longest flight was when I flew to TX to trade my J (GREAT Plane!!!) in on the Bravo (Also a GREAT Plane....Hell, all Mooneys are GREAT Planes :P).

I took off from Petaluma (o69) climbed to 15k' direct Shafter VOR (EHF) and left turn to Demming, NN (KDMN). At 15k' I had an ~45 knot tailwind the entire way. 4.58 hours and 837 NM. I think I burned around 45 gallons - WOW!!

Next leg was supposed to be to KGGG and Don Maxwell's shop but it was overcast there, night and I had been in the air for over 7 hours. I was noticeably tired and decided not to push it. I told ATC I had been in the air for over 7 hours and just needed a VFR field with hotel nearby. The controller said "give me a minute" and came back with "KILE 22 miles SE - turn right heading 170, there is a restricted area 12 o'clock - do you need vectors?". I told him I could navigate around it. This guy knew exactly what help I needed and I thanked him twice for his help. I crossed mid-field and turned down wind a little low...gear down....it's now dark and very short final I think, damn, I'm fast. I look down and realize I hadn't deployed the flaps. Oh well, fuck it and landed no flaps. Fatigue CAN be a killer!!

• Like 1