Steering belcrank

I am resurrecting another 65 E model , This one challenged a snowbank , and I would consider it a draw.....The question is , has anyone here ever replaced the rudder belcrank that is driven by the pedals , it is about 20  inches long , with 4  3 inch arms coming off of it , one arm drives the steering link , the other arm drives the rudder control rod , and the other two arms are driven by the rudder pedals...  it appears the only way I can see , is to un rivet the side of the cabin at the bottom , forward of the wing ,  Any advise , is greatly appreciated......

• Like 2

I had a customer with an F who managed to break one of the welds.  I didn't do the job, as the aircraft was stuck remotely, but as I recall, they had to peel back some of the firewall, don't recall them doing the side skin, but that's possible.  It was not an easy job and I did not envy the guys who had to do it.

Spoke to Dan at Lasar . He said it comes out from inside , he laughed when he said they built the whole airplane around that part...I chuckled a little too..... We will see how much I chuckle when I have to actually start working on it....

• Like 1

When working on your Mooney from the "inside" wedged with your shoulders between the wheel well and the cabin skin, your head ringing from banging it on the bottom of the panel trying to decide if it's best to work on your back, or on your stomach, you'll be wishing for the "mini me" available down at Harbor Freight, unfortunately he only speaks Chinese and is completely clueless when it comes to AN bolt designations, but patience with your new "little buddy" will pay off big time.

• Like 1

Well , I replaced the rudder jackshaft , 3.5 hours removal , 2.5 hours install time , Also installed the wingtip , have to have the paintshop look at the skin at the tip to see if it needs love or replacement , but definitely good enough to ferry ,

• Like 4

Guys I don't know if I mentioned this or Not , but Dave Mathison of Airmods Mooney service center in Robbinsville , has been a tremendous resource for parts , If you need parts , he has huge hangers filled with Mooney parts , and gets orders from Mooney every day ,  

• Like 3