ADSB install, what are you doing

FlyboyKC

1 hour ago, cnoe said:

And while we're scrutinizing Paul's panel... did Regional Approach vector you all the way over to the Cedar Creek VOR or were you already flight-planned for that? Just curious as that's a regular waypoint on my trips north from Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My clearance out of Austin is always DIRECT.  But I also expect that once I'm handed off to Waco, I should expect an amendment to my clearance. My destination was Aero Country (T31), on the north east side, so they vectored me toward CQY. But I never actually get there as they kept giving me short cuts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If the knobs are colored, they are always correct as in Prop - Blue, Mixture - Red.  Mine are just in an unusual order.

Sorry, man—mine are black, black, red.

And no panel space for ADSB stuff.

20151119_204840.jpg

Edited by Hank

I have only flown later model J and an Ovation, and I am struck at the wide variation in the Mooney panels over the years. 

It is amazing how they evolved. Hank's panel,is similar to what the 1974 models look like. My 1975 was completely different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a GTN650 and just installed the GTX345 last week.  Here are the reasons why we picked it instead of the KT74/TT31 or any UAT unit.

1.  The KT74/TT31 and GTX345 can all use the GTN650 for position info but the KT74/TT31 require a speed switch while the GTX345 does not.  It uses ground speed from the GPS instead.

2.  All UAT units (as far as I know) and the Lynx all require use of an internal GPS.  That requires installing another GPS antenna.  More install cost.

3.  Most UAT units require another antenna to pick up the Mode A squawk code AND you have to keep your old transponder and keep it working.  The extra antenna means higher install costs again.

4.  If you have to keep your old transponder, you add weight to your plane and reduce useful load (although not by much).

5.  With 4 of us, one of us wanted traffic displayed on the GTN650.  One of us uses Garmin Pilot.  Two of us use Foreflight.  The fourth guy is a perfect partner and hasn't flown in 20 months.  The GTX345 was the only unit that would let us all keep what we have and display all the FIS-B/TIS-B info on the GTN and with our chosen tablet software.

6.  The GTX345 has a built in AHRS as an emergency backup to the ADI.

The Lynx would have been my second choice but it costs more to buy, more to install, and doesn't work with either of my EFB's (Garmin Pilot and Naviator).  Our installed price was just under $6000 including the trade in of our KT76A.

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

We have a GTN650 and just installed the GTX345 last week.  Here are the reasons why we picked it instead of the KT74/TT31 or any UAT unit.

1.  The KT74/TT31 and GTX345 can all use the GTN650 for position info but the KT74/TT31 require a speed switch while the GTX345 does not.  It uses ground speed from the GPS instead.

2.  All UAT units (as far as I know) and the Lynx all require use of an internal GPS.  That requires installing another GPS antenna.  More install cost.

3.  Most UAT units require another antenna to pick up the Mode A squawk code AND you have to keep your old transponder and keep it working.  The extra antenna means higher install costs again.

4.  If you have to keep your old transponder, you add weight to your plane and reduce useful load (although not by much).

5.  With 4 of us, one of us wanted traffic displayed on the GTN650.  One of us uses Garmin Pilot.  Two of us use Foreflight.  The fourth guy is a perfect partner and hasn't flown in 20 months.  The GTX345 was the only unit that would let us all keep what we have and display all the FIS-B/TIS-B info on the GTN and with our chosen tablet software.

6.  The GTX345 has a built in AHRS as an emergency backup to the ADI.

The Lynx would have been my second choice but it costs more to buy, more to install, and doesn't work with either of my EFB's (Garmin Pilot and Naviator).  Our installed price was just under $6000 including the trade in of our KT76A.

I am leaning this direction as well (but with current 530w/430). Let us know how the GTX345 works when you get a chance .

Two more things I'm thinking about

1) the GTX 345 has a blind encoder available that is about the size of a quarter and plumbs into the static line.  Once it's installed no need for static check.  On the last two IFR checks I've been told my encoding altimeter only has X number of years on it.  They are expensive to overhaul / replace. It seems that it could get easily replaced with a standard altimeter and a blind encoded.  If going with the 345 it would also mean else installation time for plumbing and wiring another blind encoder. 

2) the transponder choice plays into the GPS choice.  I'm in the 430-non WAAS boat right now.  It seems that at least I'd get some additional capability for LPV by doing a panel mount WAAS solution.  I'm also a heavy user of the iPad.   Right now it seems like a 430W / FS210 / Trig guts unit (TT31/KT74/AXP340) would be the right choice and be the best value...  For right now.  

An AXP340 would allow both for the use of Garmin boxes now and an IFD 540 when I can afford to splurge on that.  A little bit more expensive now, but some additional flexibility built in as well.  Best of all it's a direct slide in for my KT76A.  From what I am reading there is no STC for use of a Avidyne GPS as a WAAS source for KT74, TT31 or GTX345 boxes.  

Anyone else with a non-WAAS box who flies IFR and does not have an unlimited avionics budget thinking about how to get some utility / value in an upgrade that they'd probably not do otherwise?   

I already had the 530W... so I bought a second-hand 330ES from Alan on this board and done. All the ADSB IN stuff is on my iPad where the resolution is much better and more user friendly. I do get TIS-B traffic on the 530 now.  I like the setup and having a digital transponder.  I was only out $3 AMU to add the 330ES to the existing 530W.13220573_10209603283627167_7184276313022662810_o.jpg

Not to change the subject. But looks like you're running 22 in manifold pressure at 9000 feet? My MP would be lower, probably under 20. What gives?

My 67C gets 21.8 at 9K, 21 at 10K, 20.1 at 11k, 19.5 at 12K, 18.7 at 13K, 18 at 14K, 17.5 at 15K, 16.7 at 16K. A few months ago decided to take off and trim for 120 mph indicated climb and see where she would level off. She leveled off at 16K still showing 120 mph

• Like 1

I have a trig TT31 and GTN650.  The Trig has been great.  That said, I would look at the Stratus ESG, particularly  if I didn't have WAAS source in the plane.  I also like the idea of independent equipment.  It makes later updates easier.

9 hours ago, Hector said:

My 67C gets 21.8 at 9K, 21 at 10K, 20.1 at 11k, 19.5 at 12K, 18.7 at 13K, 18 at 14K, 17.5 at 15K, 16.7 at 16K. A few months ago decided to take off and trim for 120 mph indicated climb and see where she would level off. She leveled off at 16K still showing 120 mph

My C has been to 16,500... to clear some ice filled weather in West Texas.  Not bad for 180hp and only an hour of fuel away from gross weight.

Monday's flight from KGGG to KMRN: with Ram Air and PowerFlow exhaust I'm seeing 21.9" @ 9000' (Alt. 29.97, OAT 8C). 159-160 KTAS. in 50 year old M20E.

I've been 2020 compliant and enjoying weather and traffic for 4 years with GDL 88. 

IMG_20160523_145501825[1].jpg

IMG_20160523_145505793[1].jpg

• Like 1

I put a KT 74 in place of my 76A to provide my ADS-B OUT. Dropped it off at the avionics shop in the morning and it was ready by 4:00 the same afternoon. They ran a wire to my 430W, and I have not had a single problem with it since it was installed.

I use my Stratus 2 for ADS-B IN on multiple iPads and an iPhone. After 4-5 hours of flight time, the Stratus is down to about 50% battery remaining.

John

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

I put a KT 74 in place of my 76A to provide my ADS-B OUT. Dropped it off at the avionics shop in the morning and it was ready by 4:00 the same afternoon. They ran a wire to my 430W, and I have not had a single problem with it since it was installed.

I use my Stratus 2 for ADS-B IN on multiple iPads and an iPhone. After 4-5 hours of flight time, the Stratus is down to about 50% battery remaining.

John

John, that sounds like the route I am going to go, exact same equipment.

Do you get traffic on the 430W?

Just now, Jerry 5TJ said:

I went to Smart Avionics  (N71)  yesterday for some firmware upgrades.  They commented that they're getting a lot of ADS-B work and their backlog is increasing strongly this year.

I think along with this the install portion price will steadily increase as shops gain a healthy backlog. 

11 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

My transponder just died so I'm going to get compliant much earlier than I had planned.  In about two weeks, I'm also getting a KT74 installed to go with my 430W. 

'

I had mine done at precision avionics in griffin. They were much cheaper than the  quotes I've heard from others. 

• Like 1

For 2020 ADS-B compliance I decided to go with the GTX33 ES and GDL88. 

One thing leads to another in the avionics upgrade game --  Here are the before and after images:

Before and After 7155U Panel 1991  555TJ Panel 2016.jpg

OK, I confess; on top is the panel from my "E" model in 1989 and the lower is the "R" in 2016.

• Like 3