AOPA - To renew or not?

Every time AOPA membership comes up for renewal, I have to stop to think about what AOPA has done for us. Every time I feel disappointed in the organization, that the dues are too high relative to the benefits, don't care about getting a 6th AOPA hat, don't feel that AOPA is doing much to support GA in Washington, and let my membership lapse. Then eventually something compels me to renew, usually an insurance discount or maybe a good move by AOPA on the political front.

So in the last year and the year ahead, what is AOPA doing for us that makes them merit our support? Why shouldn't I just let me AOPA membership lapse again?

aopa.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, but by renewing you will get a newly designed AOPA sticker for the back glass of your car, but you have to ask for it and you only get one :)

I renewed after hesitation, but I guess I'm just trying to support GA wherever I can. I do think the dues are high though and the hats are "old man hats", even though I do resemble that remark.

-Tom

AOPA does a ton of good work.  Especially in the behind the scene moves of DC.  It's also a wonderful resource to pilots.  I don't love the cost annually, but for the access and information I get if I need it, I'm thrilled.  They also have the Air Safety Institute.  George Perry, who now flies a Mooney M20S Eagle (Formerly F-18's and and an M20F) is a member here and in charge of the Air Safety Institute.  

I too have not received a hat.  I do however live about 30 miles away and have visited a few times.

I personally do not love the new website, and haven't used it much since the website debuted, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I'd list more here from there.

Aviation Consumer

AOPA

MooneySpace

Beechtalk

AVWEB

Flying Magazine (they have changed big time too)

Air Facts Journal

Those are my favorite websites/Periodicals for Aviation at this time.

I need to get back into EAA and I also like NBAA but do not visit their website often.

-Seth

• Like 2

Seriously? I guess everyone has to make their own e-value-ations, but I think for the cost of about 10 gallons of AvGas, an AOPA membership seems like a no-brainer to me.  The benefits I see are:

• A strong voice in Washington (and states) to keep GA vibrant and alive. Things like 3rd Class medical reform, ADS-B regs, airport closure protection, Part 23 rewrite and lobbying within states for favorable legislation (sales tax avoidance) are critical.
  • Pilot Protection services (okay, an extra 8 gallons of AvGas for that) have been very helpful to me for buying/selling airplanes, dealing with medical issues, etc.
  • ASF courses that provide excellent training in practically any aviation topic you can imagine. While I do contribute extra to ASF, it's not required, and is totally free for any member to use.
  • A pretty nice magazine that has improved with time. Still not quite as good as EAA Sport Pilot but much better than Flying and many other rags.
  • I have used the vendor-partner discounts some, maybe not as much as others as I get rental car discounts from Hertz already and have an insurer I've used since Day 1 of airplane ownership. But these can be money-saving for many people.

True, I couldn't care less about the hat or the decal, but overall I think AOPA is an excellent value for helping keep our favorite pastime strong. At some level, even the CB's have to agree...hopefully!

;)

• Like 3

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

I guess I am missing something here. If you are a pilot and you own a certified aircraft, this is it.

I notice a lot of Mooney owners flock to the EAA and frankly, that mystifies me. I get all I want and need from the EAA for free, the rest is homebuilder stuff that I am not interested in. AOPA is doing the right things that work on my behalf.

• Like 1

Went to see my AME...

He sent me to see my Cardiologist.

Cardiologist said that is an 8AMU test with some poisonous  intravenous fluid.  He can do an alternative test to get the same result.

My question, Huh?

my question 2, How many hats can I buy with 8 AMU?

Next call is to AOPA...

Note: My heart is healthy.  A treadmill stress test is somewhat overkill. I have both Fitbit and mapmyrun data for the last two years that should suffice.

Note2: We can't kill the useless class III medical fast enough.

Go AOPA!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

I don't mind paying for the yearly AOPA membership; the online safety courses/videos/etc. make it worthwhile. And I believe they're trying hard to pass the 3rd class medical reform.

But... I DO grow weary of the constant barrage of solicitations for donations to their PAC. I call, write, and sign petitions to my representatives but I don't believe in "paying off" my congressmen/congresswomen to pass sensible legislation. Call me naive. I shouldn't have to outbid the opponents of GA in order to fly.

And it bothers me more than just a little that there is NO accounting of which politician receives the AOPA PAC money. I fear that they'd be getting my money in spite of the fact that I may disagree with 90% of their other political agendas.

One last thing, the EAA got the STC for putting inexpensive backup instrumentation in legacy GA aircraft, and for that alone I became an EAA member last month for the first time ever! When I can put an awesome and affordable panel in my Mooney like those in the Vans fleet I'll reconsider who deserves my money more, AOPA or EAA.

• Like 1

If you write to your MP/political rep for every
 - piece of useless regulation that gets proposed
 - Airport under pressure to close
and
 - never want any improvements to legislation
 - accept any BS put on you by any AME/A&P/FBO
 - are happy to do the research and work in making your own training, or getting someone else to do it
then feel free to drop you AOPA sub

Otherwise feel a glow that you are paying someone to do all this done for you, and a whole lot more

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Seriously? I guess everyone has to make their own e-value-ations, but I think for the cost of about 10 gallons of AvGas, an AOPA membership seems like a no-brainer to me.  The benefits I see are:

• A strong voice in Washington (and states) to keep GA vibrant and alive. Things like 3rd Class medical reform, ADS-B regs, airport closure protection, Part 23 rewrite and lobbying within states for favorable legislation (sales tax avoidance) are critical.
  • Pilot Protection services (okay, an extra 8 gallons of AvGas for that) have been very helpful to me for buying/selling airplanes, dealing with medical issues, etc.
  • ASF courses that provide excellent training in practically any aviation topic you can imagine. While I do contribute extra to ASF, it's not required, and is totally free for any member to use.
  • A pretty nice magazine that has improved with time. Still not quite as good as EAA Sport Pilot but much better than Flying and many other rags.
  • I have used the vendor-partner discounts some, maybe not as much as others as I get rental car discounts from Hertz already and have an insurer I've used since Day 1 of airplane ownership. But these can be money-saving for many people.

True, I couldn't care less about the hat or the decal, but overall I think AOPA is an excellent value for helping keep our favorite pastime strong. At some level, even the CB's have to agree...hopefully!

;)

I'll add the weather portion of the website to the list.

membership is a no brainier for me as well.

• Like 1

AOPA member for a long time and EAA for only a couple of years. I guess I'll keep supporting both because GA can use all the political help they can get, but I'm beginning to think that EAA is doing more with my money. If I contribute anything extra I'll be putting my money on EAA.

• Like 1

AOPA membership is critically invaluable. It's my voice being heard.

Maybe you can go to Congress to advocate for and support GA. But I cannot go to Washington every so often and meet with lawmakers who make decisions critical to GA. I trust the professionals at AOPA to do it for me. I also am proud and want them to fly around in a Citation if they so choose. 

They represent me, a certified aircraft owner and pilot.

When was the last time you or anyone else "fought the system" and won?

The point is not to fight the system but rather roll with it and mold it to include our interests. It's not about winning and losing but rather about give and take.

This is what AOPA does for us each and every day.

It seems every time your membership comes up for renewal you ask a similar  question. The answer hasn't changed. It's a personal decision. 

If you want to enjoy all the benefits there for the taking made possible by AOPA, you should absolutely renew. 

If on the other hand you have to ask and don't feel all those benefits are worth a couple cups of coffee every month, then don't. 

2 hours ago, PTK said:

If on the other hand you have to ask and don't feel all those benefits are worth a couple cups of coffee every month, then don't. 

Ok, I think the dentist sealed the deal and convinced me. I'll let it lapse until the membership dues come down to meet the value of the value goes up to meet the dues. Thank you Peter for opening my eyes.

On 5/20/2016 at 5:17 PM, 201er said:

So in the last year and the year ahead, what is AOPA doing for us that makes them merit our support? Why shouldn't I just let me AOPA membership lapse again?

What was the total cost of your ATC user fees for the last 5 years?   What will they be in the next 5 years?  What are the membership fees?  To me AOPA membership is a bargain (even more so as a life member).

• Like 2

Jim, I have the legal services plan and I get the magazine in the mail. Beyond that all I've ever received in the junk mail category is some car rental junk. That's it until time to renew.