Pre-buy advisable although the sell is done via Mooney service center?

Hi everyone.
I'm based in Germany currently on the search for an aircraft, my first one actually. I'm looking at a M20E offered in France. I've scanned the marked for quite a while now and kind of have a feeling for prices and things to look for. However, I'm by far not an Mooney expert and am willing to invest in a pre-buy inspection.
The point is, the aircraft in question is sold by a private person via an official Mooney service center. This very service center (being an EASA & FAA repair station and official Daher, Piper and Mooney center) also maintained the aircraft under EASA standards for the current owner. At this point I don't know any Mooneys expert in my area who could do the pre-buy for me, so I'd have to start looking for one. On the other hand, it seems ridiculous to search for an expert, when the aircraft has been maintained by a Mooney service center. They already sent me their "Excel-sheet" which sums up all component times, times remaining to any components overhaul, relevant AD statuses, inspection status and so on, as well as the last annuals logbook entry.
My question now is: is it in this scenario advisable to look for someone independent anyway?

Thanks a lot!

The MSC works for the seller, find a mechanic who will represent you. To save some money you can tell the mechanic what to check for.

Did you test fly the plane? You should and can save yourself some money by checking avionics, especially the autopilot, lights, the doors shut correctly.

Then just have mechanic check for the big ticket items:

Fill fuel tanks, check for leaks.

Borescope the engine.

Corrosion, make sure the wing spar is clean...

• Like 1

Welcome aboard MV.  We have a few MS members in Europe that may answer your question.

As Hank pointed out, the Pre-Purchase inspection is the best tool to protect your wallet.  The PPI is most reliable when it is independent of the previous owner and his previous mechanic.

When you get a chance, update your avatar with your location and other detail.  These threads can get pretty long and your location may get buried over time.  Under model use something like 'looking for M20E'

For an interesting read...  Look up the threads written by Adrien who bought a Mooney in the US and flew it home to France a few years ago...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks everyone for your tips so far.

@carusoam: I updated my profile a little as you suggested and I'll have a look into the mentioned posts.

@neilpilot: Sounds interesting. I'm living in Southern Germany, going back and forth between Munich and Stuttgart.

@teejayevans: So far I only had email correspondence with the MSC, got copies and pictures. The AC flew last in September 2015 and the engine has been "stored" since then (whatever that means in that particular case). So right now it's not in a flyable condition. However, it is still in annual, which runs out in July.

This is the offer by the way:
http://www.planecheck.com/index.asp?ent=da&id=27785&cor=y

The engine is below half time, the prop is almost new and the panel looks decent. Avionics don't comply with EASA's mode S and 8.33kHz or FAA's ADS-B out. Thus, an upgrade will be necessary in the not too distant future.

Best regards,
MV

• Like 1

Finding independent Mooney-specific expertise in Europe sounds challenging.  I wonder if any of the reputable DMax-type MSC owners in the US are willing to take an hourly consulting fee over the phone to help a trusted independent local A&P do the Mooney-specific parts of the prebuy and talk him through evaluating any issues that come up. The key thing is spotting airframe corrosion it would seem. 

Good luck!!

Some MSCs are better and more conscientious than others. When I bought my Ovation I had the pre-buy done by a MSC that missed a bunch of things, including a non-working ELT (that they signed off on as working).

Bottom-line, just because its an MSC doesn't mean they'll do a good job for you, especially if they are affiliated with the seller. I'd counsel getting an independent evaluation, even if its from a non-Mooney specialized shop.

Good luck - fly safe!

Robert

It looks like it will need shoulder belts, the rear lap belts are obsolete design, non metal latching, can't see the front belts, don't understand the long yellow arc on the tachometer, no mention of the GPS in the panel.

Manual gear is good, updated panel layout, 406Mhz ELT.

Clarence

Welcome MV

Do take note of the above that the MSC is representing the vendor, so you should get another opinion representing your interests.

Francoise and her team are a great bunch to deal with though (although some say rather expensive!) and are the only MSC in France I believe (you have a couple more in Germany though)

I'm on the N-reg, and my A&P/IA does not have any EASA licences, but might be available for a pre-buy if that is acceptable to both the MSC and the vendor - PM me if you need his details - he looks after half a dozen Moneys in this area (as well as some oddities like a Beech 18 and a Sea Bee)

Good luck!

Ben

On 5/17/2016 at 9:00 AM, MV Aviation said:

@neilpilot: Sounds interesting. I'm living in Southern Germany, going back and forth between Munich and Stuttgart.

Sent you a PM on how to contact the owner of a 1981 M20K, based at EDML.

• 3 months later...

Quick update.
I bought it. It's getting a fresh annual and a GTX345 transponder upgrade right now. I'm pretty excited.
Btw. so far the MSC at LFQB has been very helpful, friendly and not as expensive as I expected. Pricing is very transparent and fair.

Edited by MV Aviation
  • Like 1