Base to final/Impossible turn flip

Tom

Must-see video (stolen from another forum) demonstrating how easily and quickly one can end up on their back trying to tighten a base to final turn and/or trying to make the impossible turn.   Instructor's description of control input vs site picture is key.  If there's one video to watch on a regular basis to increase safety I think it's this one or one like it.

Also interesting to note the lack of warning tone from the AOA circuit.

https://www.facebook.com/eddie.seve/posts/1130016700399316/

• Like 3

Just today: http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Four-killed-in-small-plane-crash-in-Mississippi-379657371.html

Engine failure after take off. This is becoming a more common type of accident that is essentially non survivable. The more complex the engine is (turbo) the more likely a failure will occur. One way to determine engine health before take off is by doing an extended run up. I do mag check at 2400 rpm and check CHT/EGT rate of temp rise and vibration. A suspicious cylinder will show a higher rate than the others. Also after landing check for unusual oil stains on the cowling. A cracked cylinder barrel will leak before separating in flight. This happened to me but I caught it on time. The crack was visible inside the cylinder about 90 deg circumference. There is also the vibration factor that can tell of an incoming engine failure. When an increase in vibration is noticed reduce engine power immediately to minimize further damage and allow partial power flight. High power will kill a sick engine in matter of seconds. Turbine engine vibration sensors are common on airliners. It help assess engine health after foreign object ingestion. Hard to notice vibration on an engine 50ft away.

José  

2 hours ago, Piloto said:

Just today: http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Four-killed-in-small-plane-crash-in-Mississippi-379657371.html

Engine failure after take off. This is becoming a more common type of accident that is essentially non survivable. The more complex the engine is (turbo) the more likely a failure will occur. One way to determine engine health before take off is by doing an extended run up. I do mag check at 2400 rpm and check CHT/EGT rate of temp rise and vibration. A suspicious cylinder will show a higher rate than the others. Also after landing check for unusual oil stains on the cowling. A cracked cylinder barrel will leak before separating in flight. This happened to me but I caught it on time. The crack was visible inside the cylinder about 90 deg circumference. There is also the vibration factor that can tell of an incoming engine failure. When an increase in vibration is noticed reduce engine power immediately to minimize further damage and allow partial power flight. High power will kill a sick engine in matter of seconds. Turbine engine vibration sensors are common on airliners. It help assess engine health after foreign object ingestion. Hard to notice vibration on an engine 50ft away.

José  

Terrible. The pilot reported smoke in the cabin before crashing. Turbo Bonanza.

7 hours ago, Piloto said:

José  

Hi Jose' why do you say it is becoming more common?  Is that a perception or do you know some statistics?

To me too it seems more common, but it may be that I am more aware of it than I used to be, and more bothered.

Good point about watching the boost on take off roll on a turbo.  For signs of either over or under boost there are problems.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi Jose' why say it is becoming more common?  Is that a perception or do you know some statistics?

To me too it seems more common, but it may be that I am more aware of it than I used to be, and more bothered.

Good point about watching the boost on take off roll on a turbo.  For signs of either over or under boost there are problems.

I noticed that engine failures do occur more often on takeoff than on other flight phases. This does not surprise me since it is when the engine is under most stress. A momentary engine failure at altitude will likely not result in a crash but on takeoff due to the low altitude this same failure will result in a crash. Unlike landing were good pilot skills are essential, on takeoff this skills are not that critical but good engine performance is of most critical.

José

22 hours ago, Piloto said:

I noticed that engine failures do occur more often on takeoff than on other flight phases. This does not surprise me since it is when the engine is under most stress. A momentary engine failure at altitude will likely not result in a crash but on takeoff due to the low altitude this same failure will result in a crash. Unlike landing were good pilot skills are essential, on takeoff this skills are not that critical but good engine performance is of most critical.

José

I meant are you noticing that it is happening more often than it used to happen that there are engine failures on take off, or are you saying that it is more common on take off than other phases of flight?