MAPA Safety Foundation

Jack46

I'm considering enrolling in one of the three day MAPA Safety Foundation PPP programs. What has been your experience/s with them? Are they worth the time and money? Could I hire an M20 experienced CFI and accomplish the same thing? I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,

Jack46

I've been to two MAPA PPPs, first as a new Mooney pilot then several years later for a refresher. I think I hit 100 hours total time enroute to my first one. They are chockfull of good information, much of it pulled straight from Mooney, Lycoming and Continental. Then there are the other sessions covering maintenance, interiors, avionics, etc., all taught by experts in each field. Oh, yeah, you fly your plane with a great vetted instructor, often familiar with the area where the PPP is being held.

It is great groundwork, and thorough air work, resulting in some FAA Wings credit, a Flight Review and an IPC. I think of it as a good way to knock off the rust and make sure I haven't picked up any bad habits. My first one I thought of as having learned to fly, then learned to fly my Mooney, it was time to learn to fly my Mooney the right way (a whole month after I finished my insurance dual . . .).

Jack,

Both ideas are great.  

But, what you miss by going the home school route, is the interaction you get with students that are similar to you.  Some questions they ask may be of interest to you.  You may not have even known about the idea to ask for yourself.

The PPP is a really low cost method of picking up a variety of experience from a variety of high-end pilots. Some military, airline and FAA pilots give presentations and fly right seat.  Great discussions occur at lunch and dinner.

At a PPP, you are going to meet some interesting people, learn some interesting things, and can get a few things done along side.   A BFR, Update of your instrument currency, or try an approach that you may not be familiar with like using a radar approach.

Knocking rust off my PPL, I used both resources and broke in a new engine at the same time...

Best regards,

-a-

I have been to four.  They are always great.  The ground school is very good, with lots of information specific to Mooneys.  I have flown with four separate instructors and learned something every time.  Its worth the time and money.

• Like 1

I went to the PPP a year ago and felt it was one of the better training sessions I have ever attended - airplane or otherwise. Everyone there was focused on our planes, safety and proficiency.  Got several new friends, an IPC, flight review, WINGS credits and some good memories out of it. Strongly recommended.

John