Beginner maintenance?

Cut the filter at the threaded end and lift by the threads. Paper and the flat bottom of the filter will lift out, oil will drop into the leftover cup. Then get a nice sharp knife and cut the paper off the top of the filter. Spread it out in the sun,you will see the sparkle of any metallic residue. Never seen any yet, even when watching the IA do so. 

If you cut off the rounded top end of the filter, drain the remaining oil into something and cut off the flat bottom end, as the paper is firmly attached down there, then cut the paper loose,mine fold at a time. There are many folds in the filter . . .

Then throw the paper away and wash the oil off of your fingers.

Oops, didn't see your picture. Looks like you get to cut the paper at both ends. What kind of filter is that? I use Champion CH48-110 (I think).

P.S.-- did I say "sharp knife"? Utility knives work well, especially with a new blade.

Edited by Hank

Use a pair side cutters to remove the metal clip, then as Hank said cut the pleated media from the metal support with a sharp utility knife.  Be careful you don't cut your hand on the metal support.  Stretch the media out on your bench an run a strong magnet through the pleats.

Clarence

I find a hacksaw works best for cutting the paper element out of the housing: quick, easy, and safe.  It does leave "fuzz" at the cut, which I guess you could argue is a distraction when looking for foreign material, but I don't think it's a major issue.

Edited by Vance Harral

There really isn't any reason to cut it apart any further than you already have, unless you see something in it you don't like.  Let it drain until you can handle it without making a huge mess and just inspect between the pleats for metal flake.  If there is a problem, you will see it.  If you do see something and want to inspect closer, cut around the circumference at the top and bottom of the pleats until they are free and it will open up like an accordion.  Don't get too caught up if you find a flake or two in the filter, that is it's job, after all.  If there is an impending failure the contamination will be apparent.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jclemens said:

There really isn't any reason to cut it apart any further than you already have, unless you see something in it you don't like.  Let it drain until you can handle it without making a huge mess and just inspect between the pleats for metal flake.  If there is a problem, you will see it.  If you do see something and want to inspect closer, cut around the circumference at the top and bottom of the pleats until they are free and it will open up like an accordion.  Don't get too caught up if you find a flake or two in the filter, that is it's job, after all.  If there is an impending failure the contamination will be apparent.

+1 if there is a problem you will see it no need to get crazy or messy.  

As a super uptight new owner, I learned to cut out the media, shake it in mineral spirits, strain through a shop towel. This let me see several miniscule nonferrous silver flecks I couldn't see otherwise-  that I would do nothing about.

Now I  cut out the media and examine by eye only.  I tear out the thin metal clip that holds the ends of the paper together with needle nose pliers, then slice the paper off the two circular caps - A cheap bread knife works great. Then I cut the paper into fourths before stretching it out in sunlight.  I may see one or two tiny nonferrous flecks I wouldnt have seen otherwise- this also leads me to do nothing. 

As someone above suggests, I could simply look between the pleats before cutting and not go further until I actually see something by this method- to date I've never seen anything this way. Sounding more reasonable as time goes on...

18 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Its tough to see the metal flakes but using a magnet I did pick up a few.

If you have an issue you won't need anything to see it/find it, there will be lotso metal.  

One other reason to actually cut the media from the core is proper disposal.  The metal goes into a barrel, then to the scrap dealer,  Safety Clean recycles the paper media and the old oil.  The land fill doesn't need more oil or filters.

Clarence

11 hours ago, M20Doc said:

One other reason to actually cut the media from the core is proper disposal.  The metal goes into a barrel, then to the scrap dealer,  Safety Clean recycles the paper media and the old oil.  The land fill doesn't need more oil or filters.

Clarence

Boy, that's a pet peeve of mine.  "Proper Disposal" in my state is the garbage can (and eventually the landfill).  My dealership tried crushing them to get the most oil out of them and then putting them into the scrap recycle bin (our recycler was fine with that).  Since I have several waste oil boilers and a huge wood stove, we have recently been burning them (meets our oil burning permit) and then recycling the total oil free filter can.  The biggest pain is saving the filters during the summer until the wood stove is active again in the fall.  Most don't know it here, but I am a huge renewable energy guy.  I've provided enough solar absorber for hot water solar panels to generate almost 6 megawatts a day.

www.upsolarsolutions.com

Tom

10 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Boy, that's a pet peeve of mine.  "Proper Disposal" in my state is the garbage can (and eventually the landfill).  My dealership tried crushing them to get the most oil out of them and then putting them into the scrap recycle bin (our recycler was fine with that).  Since I have several waste oil boilers and a huge wood stove, we have recently been burning them (meets our oil burning permit) and then recycling the total oil free filter can.  The biggest pain is saving the filters during the summer until the wood stove is active again in the fall.  Most don't know it here, but I am a huge renewable energy guy.  I've provided enough solar absorber for hot water solar panels to generate almost 6 megawatts a day.

www.upsolarsolutions.com

Tom

I love solar things.  Here is the solar furnace my buddy and I built for our hangar.  It too involved some recycling, 288 adult beverages were enjoyed before being altered for the furnace.

Clarence

image.jpg

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I love solar things.  Here is the solar furnace my buddy and I built for our hangar.  It too involved some recycling, 288 adult beverages were enjoyed before being altered for the furnace.

Clarence

image.jpg

How much heat do you get out of that thing?

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

How much heat do you get out of that thing?

On a sunny day a 125-150 rise in quite common.  It stands 10' tall.  Airflow is from 2 computer fans power by a PV cell.  We're adding another this year.

Clarence