Hartzell Top Prop Mod

M016576

Yes, I have one on my '77 M20J.  Have I seen a improvement in performance?  Hard to say.  A couple of years ago an acquaintance who had 800+ hours in a Mooney was flying my plane and had a prop strike.  I ended up with a new prop and an engine overhaul by Robert Smith at Mena Aircraft Engines.  I did have a performance improvement, but I'm more likely to think the engine overhaul is responsible for the performance improvement.  Not long afterwards, I also started experiementing with LOP operation and now fly almost exclusively LOP

I've had one for almost 3 years and just so you know, the Chrome spinner is going away. After multiple mishaps, they're going to a painted composite spinner :( . They're in the final stages of certification with it and I understand I'm to be one of the first to have the composite spinner. I opted out of getting a polished replacement..they're still having 'issues' with them (at least on our 360 engines). Now, that being said, as far as the performance is concerned, I can without a doubt tell you that it has been the most significant speed improvement I've ever put on my mooney....period. I recently put a stock prop back on while mine is being repaired, and once again, I can tell you without any degree of doubt, there is a considerable difference between the two.

George

• Like 1

Quote: georgeb

I've had one for almost 3 years and just so you know, the Chrome spinner is going away. After multiple mishaps, they're going to a painted composite spinner :( . They're in the final stages of certification with it and I understand I'm to be one of the first to have the composite spinner. I opted out of getting a polished replacement..they're still having 'issues' with them (at least on our 360 engines). Now, that being said, as far as the performance is concerned, I can without a doubt tell you that it has been the most significant speed improvement I've ever put on my mooney....period. I recently put a stock prop back on while mine is being repaired, and once again, I can tell you without any degree of doubt, there is a considerable difference between the two.

George

It is tough to understand why a strong enough steel spinner cannot be made.

I am a bit weary of a composite spinner knowing composite shear resistance performance. But what do I know, so staying on the sideline for now with my original square tip McCauley prop.

I installed an overhauled McCauley prop for about 4 AMU's I was very tempted by the new MT Prop light performant etc.., though the company is very close to where my aircraft is repaired I was put off by the price....9K euro....Also I checked the two bladed Hartzell...its about 8k euro..no EASA stc available....

Downside on the MT prop is very sensitive for dust and small particles..it damages the coating...I prefer to spent the 4K on avionics...;-).

though its is tempting to go for the scimitar version very nice indeed!!!.

I have flown a lot behind MT props...they are great but there have been known issues with delamination and cracking...The lifecycle of a metal prop is hard to beat though...

One small issue: surviveabillity off the crankshaft is better with a composite prop if you forgot to extend the legs..Innocent.

I picked up 6-8 knots....I shit you not!..I'm telling you, The difference from the stock prop was amazing... :). Don't know if something was wrong with my stock prop....don't think so, but like I keep posting on this thread. It's the only speed mod that I've been able to feel....

oh, and Did I mention that this is the only speed mod that I've been able to feel the difference with.... :)

The pre-J spinner is much smaller and a different shape than the J, so it cannot be used with a pre-J plane unless it has a 201 cowl mod of some flavor.

It is hard to believe that Harzell can't figure out how to make a non-cracking spinner for this application.  My 33+ year old McCauley spinner is still crack-free, but perhaps that is due to the counterweights on the -A3B6D variant of the IO-360 vs. the -A1A.

My MT spinner is fiberglass, but I got the optional shiny finish so it will look like a polished aluminum or chrome spinner.  Hopefully this is the best of both worlds...light weight, long-lasting, and shiny.

Quote: KSMooniac

The pre-J spinner is much smaller and a different shape than the J, so it cannot be used with a pre-J plane unless it has a 201 cowl mod of some flavor.

It is hard to believe that Harzell can't figure out how to make a non-cracking spinner for this application.  My 33+ year old McCauley spinner is still crack-free, but perhaps that is due to the counterweights on the -A3B6D variant of the IO-360 vs. the -A1A.

My MT spinner is fiberglass, but I got the optional shiny finish so it will look like a polished aluminum or chrome spinner.  Hopefully this is the best of both worlds...light weight, long-lasting, and shiny.

What did they quote you for the MT prop?  I may need to replace mine if I continue with the sale because buyers seem to be paranoid about the EDDY AD.... Frown  This and the Top Prop would be on my short list.

Brian

Brian  Can we just replace the hub if our blades are good?  My blades were replaced at the last overhaul.

Rob

The hub can be replaced, but the cost now is pretty high vs. when the AD had just been issued and Hartzell was offering a discount.

I wouldn't recommend buying a brand-new prop just to ease the sale b/c you'll never recover the money.  Perhaps you could find a used non-AD prop if you really want to swap, otherwise discount the price just a little bit.

The MT was 10.5 AMU with custom paint and the shiny spinner.

Quote: flight2000

What did they quote you for the MT prop?  I may need to replace mine if I continue with the sale because buyers seem to be paranoid about the EDDY AD.... Frown  This and the Top Prop would be on my short list.

Brian

There was a problem with the spinner when they first came out but as i understand it they have resolved the problem.

I have a 100 hours on mine now including a major cross country and we found no cracks at the first annual in March.

I also agree with the opther posts about the speed increase... i picked up at least 5 knots and the rate of climb is about 2 thousand feet per minute at 100 mph knots now.

We are happy with the 2 blade Top Prop on our 1977 J. We got 2 (3?) knots of speed gain or so, but the big advantage is the smoothness and no more yellow arc like with the McCauley C212.

Hopefully Scott S will give a good report on his MT conversion, either one is probably a good choice.

However, if Hartzell ever comes up with a two blade ASC-II composite prop for the Mooney like they have for the experimental RVs we would be "all over dat!" That prop plus a carbon belly from Bill Wheat could knock 20+ pounds off our empty weight. And that would be a good thing.