Now here is a fun WWII poster

I'm not sure if I should be more shocked by the encouragement to take drugs, or the mock threat to the Canadians.   Sort of campy in this era of threatening to build walls for our neighbors to pay for.

Edited by aviatoreb

20 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I'm not sure if I should be more shocked by the encouragement to take drugs, or the mock threat to the Canadians.   Sort of campy in this era of threatening to build walls for our neighbors to pay for.

I'm thinking that the ink on that poster is still damp.

There was something on the military channel just the other night about  widespread  use of a crystal meth equivalent by the German military and high command including Hitler that was encouraged and given out like rations to the soldiers. It was thought to enhance performance and endurance. The documentary also explored widespread use of anphetimenes by some of the allied forces as well. Very interesting and little known stuff.

10 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I was just reading the Canada comment and wondering what that was about.  Was there some kind of Canadian cold war during the '40s?  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

I was just reading the Canada comment and wondering what that was about.  Was there some kind of Canadian cold war during the '40s?  :D

Maybe it was like a team rivalry?  Like not between US and Canada attacking each other, but against your buddy nation both against the axis powers.

I don't think this is a legit WW2 poster. The United States Air Force didn't come into being until September 1947. Until then, it was the USAAF (United State Army Air Force). It is interesting to see a P-38 on the poster and the reference to the Canadians.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I don't this is a legit WW2 poster. The United States Air Force didn't come into being until September 1947. Until then, it was the USAAF (United State Army Air Force). It is interesting to see a P-38 on the poster and the reference to the Canadians.

good catch.  I had to google it.  Looks like USAF used P38s from 47-49.  I guess you get the hot babes because you're so smart.  :D

1 hour ago, Marauder said: I don't this is a legit WW2 poster. The United States Air Force didn't come into being until September 1947. Until then, it was the USAAF (United State Army Air Force). It is interesting to see a P-38 on the poster and the reference to the Canadians.

good catch.  I had to google it.  Looks like USAF used P38s from 47-49.  I guess you get the hot babes because you're so smart.  

6ea076b0db6f7aa2659dccb4c70da3fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 4:37 AM, Hank said:

I do believe official attitudes have changed a lot over the years . . .

The following “study” was presented during a session on performance/neuro-enhancing drug use by air crewman at the Aerospace Medical Association (AsMA) annual meeting last month (AsMA is the largest aviation medicine professional organization).

THE ROLE OF PHARMACEUTICAL ENHANCEMENT IN  AVIATION: FACT VERSUS FICTION
J.A. Caldwell
INTRODUCTION:
The fast-paced 24/7 nature of modern aviation operations poses significant challenges for human physiological capabilities.  As a result, aircrew members often suffer from fatigue due to sleep and circadian disruptions.  Stimulant and hypnotic medications can be highly beneficial fatigue countermeasures, but unfortunately the utility of these compounds is often questioned due to misinformation, political factors, and media hype.
METHODS:
A review of select studies on the efficacy and safety of alertness-enhancing and sleep-promoting compounds, along with a review of myths and facts surrounding the use of these medications has been examined.
RESULTS:
Substantial evidence exists that current US military use of performance-enhancing medications is both safe and effective.  Placebo-controlled, systematic investigations support the favorable cost/benefit analysis of alertness aids such as caffeine, modafinil, and dextroamphetamine for the sustainment of pilot performance in situations devoid of adequate sleep opportunities.  Similarly, well-controlled investigations also fully support the utility of hypnotics such as zolpidem and temazepam for the preservation of pilot performance in circumstances where sleep opportunities exist but are compromised due to circadian or environmental factors.

DISCUSSION:
The ”Just Say No to Drugs” mentality may be culturally correct, but is contrary to the peer-reviewed scientific data on this topic.  Properly utilized alertness-enhancing and sleep-promoting medications can offer a significant safety and performance benefit in aviation operations.

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...

This poster is trying to extract some humor from a devastating fratricide incident where the use of dextroanphetamine was used as defense when an f16 pilot put a laser guided weapon on what he thought was the Taliban but turned out to be friendlies (Canadians). Not a very funny picture IMO

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnak_Farm_incident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Omega703 said:

This poster is trying to extract some humor from a devastating fratricide incident where the use of dextroanphetamine was used as defense when an f16 pilot put a laser guided weapon on what he thought was the Taliban but turned out to be friendlies (Canadians). Not a very funny picture IMO

Is that true?  It is a modern poster?

4 hours ago, Omega703 said: This poster is trying to extract some humor from a devastating fratricide incident where the use of dextroanphetamine was used as defense when an f16 pilot put a laser guided weapon on what he thought was the Taliban but turned out to be friendlies (Canadians). Not a very funny picture IMO

Is that true?  It is a modern poster?

It sure makes sense based on the article he posted. That was part of basis for their defense!