Winter Park FL

TWinter

Hey Florida guys and gals..

We are heading to Winter Park FL at the end of the month for a birthday and Nephew's graduation. I've looked at airports on the outskirts of Orlando (not wanting to deal with that much hassle and air traffic). We will rent a car at the FBO and drive to Winter Park. Any suggestions as far as a quick easy airport to get into and out of easy. It will be a VFR flight, about 4 hrs from TN to FL.  My passengers are not real avid flyers so the less traffic and activity the more comfortable they will feel. We don't mind driving in from the outskirts, but looking for suggestions. Leaving the May 30th until probably June 1st or 2nd.. Just a few days.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Just now, carusoam said:

Tom,

I have a question...

Are you a skier?

I'm lost on this one..lol.    I did some snow skiing when I lived up north. I swim like a rock, so water ski as kid twice. So not so much in the water. No idea where this is going? :)

-Tom

• Like 1

I am reviewing a chart of Florida...

I know where Winter Haven is, but I can't find Winter Park...

From my personal memory issues.  These two names get mixed up for me quite often.  My Winter Park is in Colorado, just West of Denver.  Great fluffy snow!  My Winter Haven is spring training for the Red Sox!

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

From my personal memory issues.  These two names get mixed up for me quite often.  My Winter Park is in Colorado, just West of Denver.  Great fluffy snow!  My Winter Haven is spring training for the Red Sox!

Best regards,

-a-

That's alright..I always get it confused and had to look his address up to make sure I was right :)

• Like 1

I flew up there a few weeks ago to take my daughter to lunch for her 21st. We landed at KORL and parked at Atlantic Aviation. The service was excellent and they didn't charge us for the 3 hours we parked there. They have a crew car but only for a maximum of 3 hours. The drive to Winter Park is about 15 minutes from the FBO.

Winter Park is a great little town for strolling and has plenty of restaurants.

26 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I flew up there a few weeks ago to take my daughter to lunch for her 21st. We landed at KORL and parked at Atlantic Aviation. The service was excellent and they didn't charge us for the 3 hours we parked there. They have a crew car but only for a maximum of 3 hours. The drive to Winter Park is about 15 minutes from the FBO.

Winter Park is a great little town for strolling and has plenty of restaurants.

This will be our first visit. He retired from the Navy last year after living in Coronado, CA. He and his family are now living in Winter Park and he's flying for JetBlue and based out of Orlando. Looking forward to a nice visit to Winter Park and Orlando for a few days.

-Tom

33 minutes ago, Mike A said:

If you are going to eat in Winter Park, I will suggest Prato on Park Ave.  If you go, get the meatball appetizer. They are the best!

When it comes to food I'm sure his family will have heard of it :) I'll put my vote in for Prato.

-Tom 

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

Sort of. The Sox moved from Winter Haven to Fort Myers in 1993. 

• Like 1

I'll cast a vote for KORL too.  It's the closest to Winter Park, they have nice facilities and the airport isn't that crazy.  KMCO is far enough to the south that you shouldn't interfere too much since your coming from the north.  I've flown VFR into KORL a couple of times no problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigAirHarper said:

I'll cast a vote for KORL too.  It's the closest to Winter Park, they have nice facilities and the airport isn't that crazy.  KMCO is far enough to the south that you shouldn't interfere too much since your coming from the north.  I've flown VFR into KORL a couple of times no problem.

It's looking like KORL or KDED. Both have good resources. My brother said Deland is about 4o minutes out, Exec is just around the corner.

-Tom

• Like 1

I regularly fly into KORL.  I would recommend using flight following so Orlando Approach can direct you in.  They will almost certainly keep you below the Class B shelf close in to KORL, but its not that bad.  Since its your first time to the field, and although the airport is not that hard to spot once you know where to look, I would recommend using Foreflight or dialing in the approach so you can see an extended runway centerline.  The FBOs are fine, but the gas is not cheap.  I use Sheltair since that is who I hangar with, but I have not heard any complaints about Atlantic since they took over from Showalter. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ftlausa said:

I regularly fly into KORL.  I would recommend using flight following so Orlando Approach can direct you in.  They will almost certainly keep you below the Class B shelf close in to KORL, but its not that bad.  Since its your first time to the field, and although the airport is not that hard to spot once you know where to look, I would recommend using Foreflight or dialing in the approach so you can see an extended runway centerline.  The FBOs are fine, but the gas is not cheap.  I use Sheltair since that is who I hangar with, but I have not heard any complaints about Atlantic since they took over from Showalter. 

Thanks for the heads-up..We are still on track as far as going so any info is helpful. We will be leaving the May 30th and coming back the June 2nd. Still looking at KORL and Deland. KORL has the edge being closer. I'll compare fuel refill, daily aircraft parking, rental car and travel to and from Deland vs. KORL and see how it shakes out $ wise.

Thanks,

-Tom

KORL (Sheltair) is $12 a night for tie-down, doesn't matter if you by fuel ($5.20). No fees are waived.

KDED (Deland) is $20 a night tie-down, but the first night is waived if you purchase fuel ($3.87). I'll have to fuel up so it's a toss-up.

Interesting Deland was that much more a night, especially since KORL is right in Orlando.

By the time I drive the extra 40 min from Deland to Orlando it's really a wash either way. I guess it will come down to convenience since the $ is so close.

-Tom

I've run this rabbit many times before generally I go with what is the most convenient and quickest but why I am going does play into the mix.

If you end up at Sheltair at KORL I will be looking for your plane on the ramp that is assuming I finish up my annual and test flights Friday.

37 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I've run this rabbit many times before generally I go with what is the most convenient and quickest but why I am going does play into the mix.

If you end up at Sheltair at KORL I will be looking for your plane on the ramp that is assuming I finish up my annual and test flights Friday.

Should be there Monday (30th) in the afternoon and leaving Thursday (2nd) in the morning. If by chance you see us shake a hand. It's always great to meet a MSer in person. I'll be the guy looking all unorganized on the ramp, but trying to look like I know what I'm doing :)

-Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, triple8s said:

I am planning on going to Winterpark as well and was looking at Sanford or KORL was leaning KORL will be there 31st -2nd.

We are still planning on it. Probably KORL. The weather is looking kind of "iffy" and I'm flying VFR. We will keep watching weather over the next several days. I think my brother has made our reservations at the Double Tree by Hilton Downtown-Orlando. Still planning on the 30th-2nd.

-Tom

After all the talk about going to Orlando and what the best ending destination airport would be I ended up having to scrap the trip and send the folks via car..I really hated to make the decision, but flyable weather back to west Tennessee on Thursday for our return was just not happening. Severe thunderstorms forecasted from Wednesday night thru Friday AM. I've watched the weather maps like a hawk over the past few days, prepped the plane, but just not much changed in the forecasts. There is 80-90% chance of rain and TStorms here in Tennessee on the return. I don't think VFR or IFR would matter, these storms look ugly. I don't think I would want to chance the storms that are marching across Oklahoma and up from Texas :(.

Very disappointing considering it would have been a great trip to fly. Even more difficult when I woke up this morning and see nothing but beautiful clear skies today in Tennessee and the same in Orlando. Thursday was the absolute only day that we could schedule to come home with work schedules.

Sometimes making the "go, no go" decision is much harder than flying the trip itself. Oh well, as they say, we will live to fly another day..

Hope everyone has a great holiday and please say a prayer and remember why we celebrate this special day.

-Tom

• Like 2

Weather ended up not being good yesterday afternoon at KORL.  After about 6pm you would have been stuck for hours.  Weather moving in was so bad that the ground controller angrily read me the SIGMETS when I told him my direction of flight.  I have not had that happen to me before.  After a couple back and forths, I just ended it with "I have the weather."  Ironically, if I had flow where he suggested, I would have been in the thick of it all.  Thank goodness for NEXRAD, which kept us dry almost the whole way home.

To add to the fun, the departure controller got pissed when I asked to start my turn to the south to avoid weather.  I guess it didn't help that the plane before me busted the Bravo to avoid the weather without asking. 

Worst interaction I have had with controllers in the time that I have been flying.  I guess the weather got them stressed out.   

• Like 1

I flew into MCO late last night. Thankfully the worst was clearing as we arrived. While I have no desire to overload the system. I have to say afterwards I'd consider adding MCO as my alternate when in the Orlando area. The controllers were very helpful and the most professional I've dealt with. Signature Aviation was very friendly.