Replacement brake hose?

In 2012 our 1965 M20C PPI noted that the brake hoses were old and somewhat stiff. I'm considering replacement next annual. Parts manual list these as SF 111-312-312-4-34. I will be calling a MSC, but wondering where other MSers have sourced these hoses. A search of MS didn't produce this info.

Or would these be placed in the "not broken, so don't fix" category?

You can order them from Aircraft Spruce already made and tested, then your mechanic can put them in at your next Annual Inspection- your current ones should last until then.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/hoseassembly.php?clickkey=3039873

They will need some information that your mechanic can help you with.  If you're lucky, your mechanic might be willing to make them himself if he has the ability and the tools.

• Like 1

On the low pressure side, my mechanic built the hoses locally.  Low cost, fast source, worth getting done because they will drain into the belly panel leaving a bigger clean-up expense...

The original hoses can be seen by a new owner and know the crusty bubbly stiff hose isn't right.

Best regards,

-a-

They are rebuild able.  As in the ends come off and go on new stock hose.  I believe 7 feet of aeroflex 111  -4 hose would do both sides.  Maybe 8 feet to be safe.  You need the hose mandrels

mandrels.jpg

and a vise and some wrenches to take off the end fittings and replace them.

Takes about 10-15 minutes per fitting.

I took off the rock shield and repainted it.   Getting the adel clamps back on for the rock shield was the hardest part of the job.   Need a couple people and pressure pot to bleed the  brakes.  Probably a day to do both sides.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 5/8/2016 at 5:46 PM, Yetti said:

They are rebuild able.  As in the ends come off and go on new stock hose.  I believe 7 feet of aeroflex 111  -4 hose would do both sides.  Maybe 8 feet to be safe.  You need the hose mandrels

I don't think -4 is the correct hose for this application.   I ordered 7 ft for this and after I crawled under the airplane and compared the -4, the hose on the M20J is smaller OD.

:(

10 hours ago, skykrawler said:

I don't think -4 is the correct hose for this application.   I ordered 7 ft for this and after I crawled under the airplane and compared the -4, the hose on the M20J is smaller OD.

:(

The “- 4“ is the I.D. not the O.D., this might help identify what you have

image.jpeg.fea22c495d3d2c57506c85864495ea5d.jpeg

also the “dash number” refers to the ID in 16th of an inch, so a -4 would be 4/16” or 1/4”  

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

The “- 4“ is the I.D. not the O.D., this might help identify what you have

image.jpeg.fea22c495d3d2c57506c85864495ea5d.jpeg

also the “dash number” refers to the ID in 16th of an inch, so a -4 would be 4/16” or 1/4”  

Right, I new the 'dash'  was 16th of an inch,  but there was no way to tell from the Mooney part number that I could find.  Info is usually good here on the space so I went with the what was posted, especially since the Stratoflex 111-3 is no longer available.   I should have measured the OD and the B nut size on the fitting before I ordered.

By the way,  the B nut on my -3 hose is 7/16 in as was a cap for the same fitting so that table might have a bad entry.

I replaced the oil & fuel line lines from the firewall forward several years ago and while making a list of hoses I noticed there was a way to figure out size and length........ XXXXXX-4-34 was a -4 hose, 34" long. Do you have the correct part number(s) for yours?

12 hours ago, skykrawler said:

Right, I new the 'dash'  was 16th of an inch,  but there was no way to tell from the Mooney part number that I could find.  Info is usually good here on the space so I went with the what was posted, especially since the Stratoflex 111-3 is no longer available.   I should have measured the OD and the B nut size on the fitting before I ordered.

By the way,  the B nut on my -3 hose is 7/16 in as was a cap for the same fitting so that table might have a bad entry.

I’ve seen -3 hose with both 7/16” and 1/2” “B” nuts, depending on manufacture.  If you look at the fitting part numbers in the caliper or the union at the top of the wheel well, this too can help determine hose diameter.

Clarence

On 6/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, RLCarter said:

I replaced the oil & fuel line lines from the firewall forward several years ago and while making a list of hoses I noticed there was a way to figure out size and length........ XXXXXX-4-34 was a -4 hose, 34" long. Do you have the correct part number(s) for yours?

For my serial number its 850109-087.    And its not 87 inches, cm maybe but I think its longer than 36 inches.

When I replaced oil and fuel lines they had tags coded with specifications.   Except for the line to the spider and the oil pressure sensor lines.  I'm just putting this post out there so if somebody else is looking for the size they might have a better result.

11 hours ago, skykrawler said:

For my serial number its 850109-087.    And its not 87 inches, cm maybe but I think its longer than 36 inches.

When I replaced oil and fuel lines they had tags coded with specifications.   Except for the line to the spider and the oil pressure sensor lines.  I'm just putting this post out there so if somebody else is looking for the size they might have a better result.

Looks like the format for part numbers changed, mine was pretty easy once I had the part#'s plus the deminsions written down side by side

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

With the pucks done, I'm itching for new projects. Kidding, the brake line was brought up during prebuy.

So, I read your comments above. The part number for my 67 E ends in 4-33 but I just measured it and it's 39.5 " long. The document DOES cover my plane's SN, but it's a 9 year newer revision. You think Mooney decided to curtail the lines?  The initial logs are missing, so if they ever were replaced, that was either prior to 1990 or not recorded...

I'm attaching snapshots for reference. My mechanic has an industrial place near KMBS airport, we are thinking of getting metal braided lines. Anyone have experience with those? You think metal-to-metal contact with the gear leg (paint chips off) could cause corrosion?

Thanks guys.

Fatih

18D4FC96-0292-4616-9688-0977788EE834.jpeg

48502951-E5EC-4AE2-A5FE-DDBA2CCFC8EC.jpeg

E1835043-C4F4-441C-920C-8BFDB70D9109.jpeg

Edited by FlyingDude

Update: I crawled under the wings again and measured both sides using a measure tape: 39" right gear, 38" left gear. (I even measured them in metric and converted the cm to inches: same thing).

That's including the metal sleeves at the end, measuring 1" on each side but excluding the 0.5" bolted female part (that twists and screws on the coupling).

The discrepancy between the two sides makes me think they were replaced and that they were replaced at two different times, by different mechanics...

B27B361C-1A3A-4088-9796-2441D7345481.jpeg

AC15925C-6F7B-4D31-9008-73F364DA380E.jpeg

Can't help you on the proper lengths (but sometimes the parts catalog offers a clue). If its qty 2 of the same part.... they should be equal length.

What I can tell you is that people do screw it up replacing parts. I just changed my hoses between engine and oil cooler. It was a good thing I went with the numbers in the parts catalog and what precision hose had on file... the prior (replaced) hoses had one that was 3" off, and the installer routed it strangely to accomodate, creating rub and wear and other issues.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s probably not a bad idea to support the businesses that support MS... :)

Sometimes it is hard to tell they are sponsors because there is no advertising here...

One thing for sure...

I haven’t seen the other hose suppliers supply as much detail about how rubber hoses are manufactured...

Or how rubber seals get designed and cut with laser precision...

Or how Ti tubes are turned into exhaust pipes...

So if you want to haze Guy... at least toss him a :)

If I’m buying hoses... I’m probably going to send an RFQ to guy...

If the other guys have a better product, price or delivery... I won’t be afraid to tell guy why...

I’m looking forward to my mechanic telling me my cowl seals need an update... :)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-