Most desirable year for an m20j ?

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Fixed that for you, Bob! (Sorry we don't have a line-through font available.) Some of us actually prefer the quadrant control to having an assortment of knobs sticking out of the panel to try to crawl past getting in and out. It wasn't bad on the Cessna as a student because I had a door on the left, but I really don't want to work my way to the right with the throttle and mixture knobs sticking way out of the panel.

Like everything else it's a mix of personal preference and what you're used to.

I prefer the quadrant my self.  I can grab the throttle, prop and mixture all at once as needed, and operate the flaps with out taking my hand off at all.  Retract the flaps on the runway and my hand never leaves the engine controls.    I fly a Comanche several months ago, and the throttle with the center push button friction lock was very inconvenient for me.

Ron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hank said:

Push/pull is generally used for single engine  Fixed that for you, Bob! (Sorry we don't have a line-through font available.)

Push/pull is generally favored for single engine. "What I have written I have written." (John 19:22):rolleyes:

Most folks like what they're stuck with!

Life is too short to be stuck with something you don't want, in the end the money you spent on hangar, avgas, maintenance....will be much more than you spend on the plane itself especially when you consider you'll get most of it back when you sell. So I say buy what you want, you'll be happier in the long run then if you just settle for something less.

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Completely agree!  

Just like Crosby, Stills, and Nash said:

"If you can't be with the one you love, honey

Love the one you're with"!

• Like 2

Well, I see this topic is headed towards one of those wonderful sidebars topics; use CamGuard, don't use CamGuard, run LOP, run ROP, flaps on/flaps off.

What shall we label this one? The infamous "rod versus lever" debate? Or perhaps, some like them vertical

3235db3a87b1f055209dcbefed5eb612.jpg

While others like them horizontal

f8f18c959fe5293cd9918036df825114.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Well, I see this topic is headed towards one of those wonderful sidebars topics; use CamGuard, don't use CamGuard, run LOP, run ROP, flaps on/flaps off.

What shall we label this one? The infamous "rod versus lever" debate? Or perhaps, some like them vertical

Some like unicorns

image.gif

• Like 2

On 6/19/2016 at 9:39 AM, Hank said:

If you ask a bunch of J owners, each will say the most preferable year is the one each owns.

With that caveat...

I bought a 205 primarily for 2 reasons- it had all the upgrades from the early J models, and as one of the first airplanes that qualified for the gross weight increase it gives me a useful load over 1000 lbs.  '84-'86 you get the upgrades without the useful load.  If you get into the 90's J models they generally come with a higher price.  The late 80s is a real sweet spot.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

3235db3a87b1f055209dcbefed5eb612.jpg

f8f18c959fe5293cd9918036df825114.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just spent half an hour browsing pics of older Mooneys wondering when the layout changed from throttle/mixture/prop to throttle/prop/mixture. 

controls.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I've just spent half an hour browsing pics of older Mooneys wondering when the layout changed from throttle/mixture/prop to throttle/prop/mixture. 

controls.jpg

Same reason rubbing sticks together was replaced by a lighter. :D

• Like 1

Bob- they didn't change for 1966, at least. When your airplane got modified with your new panel, the installer did the right thing and made them "right".  Big pain in the butt, otherwise.  So much so, that I have my panel apart right now and am installing a new prop cable and I still aren't going to sway the mixture and prop controls.  My argument is that I'm used to it now!

My gut tells me that when they went to the quadrant (1970 or 71?) they changed the order to standard.

Just now, N1395W said:

Bob- they didn't change for 1966, at least. When your airplane got modified with your new panel, the installer did the right thing and made them "right".  Big pain in the butt, otherwise.  So much so, that I have my panel apart right now and am installing a new prop cable and I still aren't going to sway the mixture and prop controls.  My argument is that I'm used to it now!

My gut tells me that when they went to the quadrant (1970 or 71?) they changed the order to standard.

Yeah I found pics of original set ups from the time of my plane and they are set up as mine is now. (We kept the arrangement when we built the new panel.) So, the "standard" layout, as defined by Piper, Cessna, etc, from the early '60s was throttle/prop/mixture? Maybe Al Mooney thought those guys were wrong. :D

I recently replaced all 3 cables, personally, but I can't say whether it would have been a problem to flip the Mixture and Prop. It's possible the holes are different - I know I had to ream out the throttle hole for the new McFarlane.

Just now, Marauder said: Same reason rubbing sticks together was replaced by a lighter.

Read my lips. When... not why! :angry:

I love it when I can pull Bob's grammar book out with a single word! Ain't that the truth Bob?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1