Putting in LASAR 201 Windshield

Ok got it back, - here's an early pirep on the intstall results of the LASAR 201 windshield:

-Imroved Visibility - a spectacular improvement on my '68C.  This was a motivator to put it in, and I am not disappointed.  It turns out I'd been missing out on part of the flying experience.   My plane had the factory one piece windshield that was used '68-77, which was shorter in height than the prior years' two piece windshields.  Visibility improvement on the older planes may be less vs. going to a simple one piece mod.  But there must be a bit of a safety dividend with this mod.  

-Improved interior comfort- It's more than just the subtle improvement I expected. It feels much less tight and claustrophobic when the windshield is no longer in your face, particularly since the panel is so close.  This is a big dividend, particularly for skittish or claustrophobic passengers.  Also you can put stuff on the glare shield now.

-Much less interior noise- My C was loud as heck  even with its updated sound insulation. Improving noise was not a motivator for me because I really didn't think it would work. To my very pleasant surprise, it produced a clear, immediately noticeable improvement in all phases of flight!  I'm not sure how it is so effective at cutting engine noise, but sound physics is not my strong suit. After not having flown for 3 weeks, I felt incredibly relaxed coming home to a bit of a traffic mess at my home field, and I'm sure the reduced noise level had something to do with it.  This will make a big difference for passengers as well, particularly with their cheaper headsets.

-Speed - Don't know yet, only flew a short hop down low to get it home.  This was a motivator to put it in, but at this point I would be happy even if it was minimal, but I'd be surprised if I didn't pick up at least a couple knots.  

-Aesthetics- Meh - I think it looks a little bit better, but this is in the eye of the beholder.  I didn't think it looked bad before, so this was not a motivator. See before and after pix below and decide for yourself.

-Cost / Installation/ Shop experience - It's expensive. LASAR kit is ~2500.  I was charged a full 50hrs for the install, plus a couple hundred bucks to paint the new metal and make a new headliner piece when the one in the kit wouldn't fit my non-original interior.   AirMods in Robbinsville NJ did the work. I was too busy while it was in the shop to keep an eye on the progress. But this is an area of expertise for them, and their workmanship seems very good. They did the job on time and close to budget as promised, without me hounding them.  I would certainly recommend them for this work. 

Overall, I think the scale of the benefit in multiple areas does provide good value for the mod, and I doubt anyone choosing to do it would be disappointed. 

TOP: before  BOTTOM: after

Picture1.png

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Jstickler76 said:

Ok so I love this mod for many reasons.  However I noticed that the battery was moved aft do you have any pics of that mod as I am trying to do the same. Thanks 

Actually the battery did not move in my plane- there are no changes in front of the firewall except an access tube for the hydraulic reservoir.

Disappointingly, there is no obvious speed increase that I notice.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...