Putting in LASAR 201 Windshield

So I went nuts.  I bought the 201 windshield mod from LASAR for my '68C, and I'm looking for guidance on any pitfalls experienced by folks during the install of one on the old planes.  The MSC that will do the work in June has gobs of experience with mods as well as fixing bent Mooneys, so I'm not too stressed about it.  Still, I wonder if there's anything I should look out for. 

Losing the top avionics panel access seems a tad annoying- I wish the SWTA mod was still around since it retained some access, and was cheaper.   I'm told the hydraulic reservoir filler gets routed to the other side of the firewall for the LASAR mod, so that aspect seems like no big deal.  I just had my panel completely redone last year, and I think wiring is now tip top back there, so I hope not to do anything major to this panel for a couple of decades.   

I'll use this thread to document my experience, in case others are interested in doing the same...

• Like 5

Dev,

Confirm for yourself where the reservoir ends up.  Where it is now is on the cabin side of the FW.  Realistically, you check the level once per year at annual.  The access panel's get sealed up (or leak) making them a hassle to open for anything but intentional Maintenance...

Doing work in that area, consider...

- getting new low pressure hydraulic hoses for the reservoir to flaps, and from brakes, unless they have been updated at least once.

- Update the interior insulation on the firewall, seal out the cold air and CO wherever you can.

- Consider if there is anything electrical you want to install in the IP.  This would be a great time to do it.  LED instrument lights, a USB plug, a spare cigarette lighter plug, a GTN......

- Talk with Dave...  He is a fountain of knowledge.

- Going with a 201 style windshield allows some space for your checklists to sit... :) 

- Hector, the leather expert, makes a nice glare shield to give your checklists a place to rest.

Sounds like the C is getting the forever plane treatment!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of fun.  Where are you getting the work done Dev?  

I just went went with the quarter inch with the UV coating.   I'll give a PIREP when I have some data with it.  

Also considering your really nice panel make sure that whomever is installing is considerate of not getting a metric ton of old sealant into every nook and cranny of your avionics.  

Why not ask the MSC to work with the FSDO and do a deviation by installing similiar access panels as the SWTA mod? It's a very minor sheet metal job and should be easy to get an approval to install modified panels. I can trace the outline of my panels ( SWTA mod) and send them to you for reference. 

David

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Why not ask the MSC to work with the FSDO and do a deviation by installing similiar access panels as the SWTA mod? It's a very minor sheet metal job and should be easy to get an approval to install modified panels. I can trace the outline of my panels ( SWTA mod) and send them to you for reference. 

David

I've often wondered the same thing, David.  I have heard that the LASAR mod extends further forward than the SWTA, but I don't know that for sure.  I would be tempted to sign it off as a minor alteration, actually.

14 hours ago, bradp said:

Sounds like a lot of fun.  Where are you getting the work done Dev?  

Brad I see your idea of fun is as messed up as mine:lol:  I post the shop at the end of the job assuming I'm happy with the work-  I suspect I will be.

14 hours ago, Sabremech said:

David

Interesting idea David! I'll check with the shop what they think.   I'm trying to get a quick turnaround on this- it is almost summer after all- I'd hate for this to get stuck under a pile of paper at the FSDO.   Also I gotta save a couple bucks for your cowl mod once it get STC'd

Not the best pic but all I could find. The blue fitting at the top of the pic is the fill for the hydraulic reservoir on the other side of the firewall. The overflow is copper tubing to the right. I top off the reservoir whenever I have the top cowl off.

943RW002.JPG

• Like 1

Do you guys feel this seals up possible water leaks better than the old access panels? Or are there issues with the old panels leaking?

My panels have a network of silicone to seal it which I don't trust if flying through heavy rain...with my ram air closed of course ;)

As you put more expensive avionics under that aluminum cowl deck, I would want it to be one piece with nothing to possibly leak.  Leaks can become very expensive and time

consuming.  The answer to access is by removing the glare shield, but even more importantly how the panel is designed so you have access through the panel.

John Breda

• Like 1

Depends on your definition of a big deal. Provided you don't want to try to salvage the windshield, you drill out all the rivets on the panel below the windshield and remove it. Break the windshield into pieces and remove them. Scraping all the adhesive off is the tough part. Using plastic scrapers, it will take three hours or more. Part of the problem is the skin above and on the sides is left in place and you are scraping underneath them.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is  a silly thought .... Other than it being documented in the STC instructions  and maybe some other FAA non structural reason.  Would it  be possible instead of  having  the access panels , like other have mentioned ....So  instead of riveting at the  base of the windshield aluminum   turtle deck  why not  nut plated so one  could be removed for access ?  I  have seen a Mooney where the right side skin co-pilot's knee had been nut  plated.  Seem like good idea to me.   Great access and much better view inspection purposes  almost but not quite like some Pitts and other Bi-planes much of the  skin comes during annual time.

James '67C

Edited by jamesm

You dont want anything other than riveted skin there, or else it will eventually leak.  Mooney pilots always are resistant to doing the windshield conversion for fear of losing their avionics access panels. Why do they need the access panels? So they can more easily remove their water-damaged radios for service.

• Like 3

I've done the SWTA mod to both of my E models, in both cases I also installed the instrument panels with plate nuts, making future removal much easier.  

Clarence