Question about 201 trim switch

I had an STEC55X installed and they removed my electric trim system entirely even though I did not buy the STEC auto trim option.  Now all I have is manual trim.  Does anyone fly without electric trim and just use the manual trim?  That's what I am now doing pending what I am going to do about pitch trim.

1 hour ago, rcwagner said:

I had an STEC55X installed and they removed my electric trim system entirely even though I did not buy the STEC auto trim option.  Now all I have is manual trim.  Does anyone fly without electric trim and just use the manual trim?  That's what I am now doing pending what I am going to do about pitch trim.

I don't know if mine's just weird, but I find the electric trim moves too fast to make the small adjustments that I usually want, so I almost always just use the manual trim wheel.

• 1 year later...

I have a Bendix King trim and hate the (100% total lack of) support. I purchased a used spare part but no joy. A new BK replacement ( part#:  200-2960-00) is $800 for a new switch which is insane. Is there an option to replace this part with other legal yoke mounted trim switches out there? I have a GFC700 autopilot. 

M20R Mooney Trim Switch.PNG

7 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

I have a Bendix King trim and hate the (100% total lack of) support. I purchased a used spare part but no joy. A new BK replacement ( part#:  200-2960-00) is $800 for a new switch which is insane. Is there an option to replace this part with other legal yoke mounted trim switches out there? I have a GFC700 autopilot. 

@HealthpilotAfter a replacement failed to work as well I question the switch diagnosis.  This may be a dumb question, but have you tested all three of the individual switches to ensure they are bad?  Might be a wiring problem you should be chasing instead.

18 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

If you can find a switch with the same form, fit and function, I believe it could be considered a “standard” part.

For example try to find a TSO / PMA resistor or diode etc

As with a whole lot of things, interpretation of a particular IA is very important.

Good point on interpretation. But that is exactly what I am unable to find. The alternative part. 

19 hours ago, PT20J said:

Garmin specifies a Cygnet CA3112-G for the GFC 500. It’s $434 and not the same form factor, and it doesn’t include the A/P disconnect or CWS buttons.

Skip

That's the one I had installed a few months ago to replace a BK trim switch.  It is PMA'd per the attached file.  Check for applicability.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 1.30.07 PM.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Healthpilot said:

I called them and they told me that it cannot replace the one I have with GFC700

That makes no sense. The switch you have is a BK switch that came with KFC/KAP autopilots. Why would Garmin require a BK switch for their autopilot?

I’m not doubting they told you that because I have been getting lots of incorrect or nonsensical answers from Garmin aviation support lately. 

The best way I have found to get the correct answers is through your Garmin dealer. If they don’t know, they have a higher level of support they can query. 

Skip

4 minutes ago, Healthpilot said:

This is now becoming a mistery. This is the email from CYGNET on my request.

image.png.3c4c9dfd3a3dada220123b3bf831749f.png

I don’t see a mystery. Cygnet doesn’t make a direct replacement for the trim part of the BK cluster, if that’s what you asked. They make a trim switch like Don showed above. 

22 hours ago, PT20J said:

I don’t see a mystery. Cygnet doesn’t make a direct replacement for the trim part of the BK cluster, if that’s what you asked. They make a trim switch like Don showed above. 

Well... I had shared the image with them with the red arrow pointing to the component that I need to replace at the beginning of this post but I will ask again. Of course they know that they have a different form factor they are not BK. I will reach out again. I do not want to open the BK switch kill it and have no plan be so thanks. 

+++Quick update+++ From email I just received it sounds like their trim switch for GFC 700 replacement may also be included in the STC +++