V35B crash on Long Island

3 hours ago, 1524J said:

I still believe the unknown was the other panel failures he declared after losing the AI. Is the communication on the recording real time or has it been edited? The lesson I take away, at this point, is when you have a failure of any critical instrument in IMC conditions, act quickly to improve your situation regardless of backup instruments. Still, that's easy to say as I sit here.......

I theorize that he was over controlling.  Few steam gauges will keep up with abrupt control inputs.  There is a slight lag and not every instrument does so at the same rate. In IMC I can envision a situation where he's over controlled to the degree that his wet compass, DG and TC, VSI and Altimeter are not in agreement and he's trying to figure out what to do. At that point the best answer is probably to do nothing...until everything settles. It's unfortunate he didn't have something as simple as a wing leveler.  While crude by today's standards, I know it will keep the plane upright sans vacuum.  If I found myself in IMC sans vacuum, I think I could pretty safely fly with elevator and roll trim only.  The old Brittain unit limits bank angle to about 20°. 

44 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I theorize that he was over controlling.  Few steam gauges will keep up with abrupt control inputs.  There is a slight lag and not every instrument does so at the same rate. In IMC I can envision a situation where he's over controlled to the degree that his wet compass, DG and TC, VSI and Altimeter are not in agreement and he's trying to figure out what to do. At that point the best answer is probably to do nothing...until everything settles. It's unfortunate he didn't have something as simple as a wing leveler.  While crude by today's standards, I know it will keep the plane upright sans vacuum.  If I found myself in IMC sans vacuum, I think I could pretty safely fly with elevator and roll trim only.  The old Brittain unit limits bank angle to about 20°. 

Are you sure the wing leveler would still work without vacuum? I believe that it would be inoperative without vacuum. The Brittain uses vacuum to suck the boots and to make the gyro turn... for my 1965 C model.

Yves

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yvesg said:

Are you sure the wing leveler would still work without vacuum? I believe that it would be inoperative without vacuum. The Brittain uses vacuum to suck the boots and to make the gyro turn... for my 1965 C model.

Yves

Duh! Total brain fart. The TC would work, but the PC relies on vac so no wing leveler and no roll trim.