To Keep or Sell - Moving to HI for Two Years

irishpilot

+1 for cnoe.  Especially if you are very satisfied with your current plane. By the time it takes to sell the plane in this market and the time it takes to find a new plane and get it "right", you will have not saved any money selling/buying.  Just look at some of recent posts here. It is quite difficult to find the right plane these days.  

However, if you are not that enthused with you current plane or want to upgrade/change, by all means save the 20k and sell.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2016 at 7:15 PM, Shadrach said:

1 hour ago, Browncbr1 said:

If you're like me, you spend about $10k per year flying.  Sell the plane, save $20k, and then you can purchase a J maybe like polito said.  You've probably learned a lot since owning your mooney, so you will know what to look for when you get back.     

While you're there, join a club and island hop on occasion to keep yourself current. 

That is my go-to plan as of now. I'm a CFI and about to add my CFII. The aero club at Honolulu has a lot of planes and I'll teach on the weekends as they need. 

I just don't see how putting the time and money into ferrying the plane will be worth it.  Even if I did it cheaply, getting the plane to HI and back would probably add up to 1/4 of the cost of the plane. 

1. Sell? Yes.

2. Flight school lease? No!

3. Hawaii? Enjoy!

4. Better airplane when you return? Put that thought off and return to #3.

Easy decision in my mind.  It is usually better to not try to guess too much about the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the plane sells fast for you.  If not you can easily find a hanger for < $2.5k if you call around.  However, if you are not content with your plane move it for whatever it goes for.

If you end up storing the plane sell off the 530 and buy a nice new 540 when you return.