JPI 930 INSTALL ?

DAVIDWH

Couldn't pass up Garmin's sale price on the JPI EDM 930.

I know several people have upgraded and was wondering about their install price. For me, four shops, four quotes , all over the map.

Todays quote was $5040 for install labor and $3500 for custom pilots panel.

Not sure how the $3500 was arrived at, as Maxwell quoted under $200 for the blank panel, and delivery by Tuesday.

Best,

Dave

A lot of this is going to depend on who does it and how much your willing to get involved.  The blank panel will have to have the cutouts made and be powder coated and engraved.  If you can remove yours for a few days and give it to some who knows CAD and has a cnc router you can just buy a $30 piece of aluminum and have it cut to your specifications. Expect around $300, I got off easy, all the coworker who cut it wanted was to go up for a flight.  Then go find a local powder coated shop, expect around $50.  Then if you want it laser engraved with the markings you may have to send it to someone if there is not  anyone local.  Expect another $50-75. The key here is that you are just using local fabricators and tradesman and not a avionics shop.  Then of course you will need a mechanic to install it.  Assumming your not moving a lot of stuff around and no rewiring is needed an A&P should be able to do this in less than half a day. 

As for as the 930 I install my Jpi 900 under a friends supervision who is an IA.  My opinion is that this isn't something that requires an avionics shop at $100+ hr as long as the IA is willing to read and follow the install manual.   It's mostly connecting well labeled and color coded wires together.  

My avionics shop charged 36 hours ($2700 in 2012) including r&r fuel senders in tanks.

My new panel took him 60 hours ($4500) including removing old, fabricating new 2 piece panel, fabricate mount for flush mounted Aspen, rearrange most of the instruments to accommodate new equipment, etch, anodize, finish, silk screen. (The sheet metal and hardware for the panel was $60.)

IMG_20160425_114528488.jpg

In 2010, our local shop (normal maintenance shop / not the avionics shop) charged 38 hours for the install of an EDM930 in my Mooney M20F. This included all needed work, including exchanging the fuel transmitters and a rebuild of the right side of the panel. He used some kind of plastic to match the old style Mooney panel on the left side. 5040 $ sounds very expensive.

Sometime later, I got the whole panel redone by the avionics shop. The price was about 3500 $ for the right and left side of my Mooney M20F.  You can find some photos on my website: http://spruce-creek.net/galerie/n6377q/  During the same time, he installed some new avionics. For that work, I got an additional bill.

Edited by Bunti
change of year

15 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Couldn't pass up Garmin's sale price on the JPI EDM 930.

I know several people have upgraded and was wondering about their install price. For me, four shops, four quotes , all over the map.

Not sure how the $3500 was arrived at, as Maxwell quoted under $200 for the blank panel, and delivery by Tuesday.

Best,

Dave

Dave, do you mean JPI's sale price?  Please post a couple of pics so we can see current state of the panel.  Am going through same on my Ovation right now, so depending on what your panel looks like now, the work you want done, and things need to be moved around in the panel to accomplish your goal, any of those quotes could on or off-course.

The more work you have done, the cheaper the labor gets on other things, as your panel is already disassembled.  Individual components can, ironically, take longer and cost more in context, as you may know.  A shop will most likely need to spend time disassembling things to get to a single area you're asking to be worked on.  Either way, send a couple of pics when able and we can fine-tune as meaningful a reply as possible.

Regards, Steve

15 hours ago, DAVIDWH said: Couldn't pass up Garmin's sale price on the JPI EDM 930.

Best,

Dave

Dave, do you mean JPI's sale price?  Please post a couple of pics so we can see current state of the panel.  Am going through same on my Ovation right now, so depending on what your panel looks like now, the work you want done, and things need to be moved around in the panel to accomplish your goal, any of those quotes could on or off-course.

The more work you have done, the cheaper the labor gets on other things, as your panel is already disassembled.  Individual components can, ironically, take longer and cost more in context, as you may know.  A shop will most likely need to spend time disassembling things to get to a single area you're asking to be worked on.  Either way, send a couple of pics when able and we can fine-tune as meaningful a reply as possible.

Regards, Steve

The cost should be lower for multiple activities at once although I have found that some shops seem to ignore the combination approach and charge as if they were separate activities.

I was able to determine why there was thousands of dollars of difference in the cost of the upgrade I did. Some shops said installing X in combination with Y was X+Y not X-Part of Y.

I ordered mine yesterday.. I went with the 930 also, will be upgrading from 830 to 930. The sale ended yesterday and they meant it. I called and asked if they could give me until Monday to order because my shop and I were looking at panel space etc..Trying to decide on the 900 or 930. There reply was absolutely NOPE. We need the order today or no rebate. The rebate sale expired on the 29th. Anyway we went with the 930 and installed price will be $7500 for unit and install. The 830 will be up for sale as soon as the 930 is installed.

-Tom

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The cost should be lower for multiple activities at once although I have found that some shops seem to ignore the combination approach and charge as if they were separate activities.

I was able to determine why there was thousands of dollars of difference in the cost of the upgrade I did. Some shops said installing X in combination with Y was X+Y not X-Part of Y.

Yeah, my shop quoted me with labor itemized with each piece of equipment included. spread over 3 pages. I totaled up the man hours and came back at them arguing that surely there were big time efficiencies in doing all together. He came back with a lower # of hours on each element.