Name this part... Shunt?

d0tnet

It's a solenoid, a giant relay, likely for master power.  

That power wire tie wrapped to the cable, I recommend seperating them.  When that cable chafes through the insulation on the power cable you will have a big problem on your hands.  There is a lot going on in the photo, including a coax crossing over the solenoid.  Sorry to pick at it, but I would hate for you to have problems later that are easily cleaned up now.

• Like 1

If you're referring to the cylindrical-looking part with the sticker, that is indeed a relay.  If a 24-volt airplane, it's a Kissling Part# 26.57.01 (a 300A 24-volt relay to be exact).  Mooney sells them for over 1AMU, but there's a source literally just down the road from me that will sell them for about $475 each.  If you need a 14-volt one, price is similar, but not certain of the part number...can't see that sticker too well from your pic.

i believe George asked the same question in a similar post last year for his Eagle.  Let me know if you need further guidance on procuring one.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it seems like the consensus is that it is the starter relay.

I concur it is a wire mess right now, having avionics shop start straightening it out. I am also having them install a voltammeter.

However they can't seem to find the ammeter shunt anywhere. I thought I heard the typical location to be under the panel in the upper right side. Any thoughts where it could be buried?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, takair said:

That power wire tie wrapped to the cable, I recommend seperating them.  When that cable chafes through the insulation on the power cable you will have a big problem on your hands.  There is a lot going on in the photo, including a coax crossing over the solenoid.  Sorry to pick at it, but I would hate for you to have problems later that are easily cleaned up now.

^^^^^ The over use of ty wraps and then the under use.  That braided wire down low should not be that close to the lower terminal.  The silicone protective boots over the main terminals are for accidental strikes not for things to be laying against.  There also looks to be a control wire down around the mounting base that is could be the energize wire.  That should be rerouted. It might be the ground wire to the relay, then it is probably OK.

I put myself through college doing 2 way radio work.  Summer time sweat along with 24 volt cement mixer trucks.  Dropping a wrench across a B+ will get your attention.  You don't want to have that happen under a panel while flying along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

If you're referring to the cylindrical-looking part with the sticker, that is indeed a relay.  If a 24-volt airplane, it's a Kissling Part# 26.57.01 (a 300A 24-volt relay to be exact).  Mooney sells them for over 1AMU, but there's a source literally just down the road from me that will sell them for about $475 each.  If you need a 14-volt one, price is similar, but not certain of the part number...can't see that sticker too well from your pic.

i believe George asked the same question in a similar post last year for his Eagle.  Let me know if you need further guidance on procuring one.

You can buy a starter or master relay from Spruce for $70.

The shunt is likely on the right side, just behind the firewall.  It is hard to access.  That was the location for my '77 and '81 and I expect yours is similar, but wouldn't swear to it.  There is a small aluminum "shelf" with electrical bits installed there, and it has three screws that come through the fuselage skin to help support it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

The shunt is likely on the right side, just behind the firewall.  It is hard to access.  That was the location for my '77 and '81 and I expect yours is similar, but wouldn't swear to it.  There is a small aluminum "shelf" with electrical bits installed there, and it has three screws that come through the fuselage skin to help support it.

Finally located it, thanks for the help Scott - you always give good insight! :)

• Like 1