Flying a Mooney to CYBW (Calgary/Springbank, AB) with ATC Audio

N9453V

Great IFR com lesson for anyone thinking about the IR...

A whole lot of quick hard to understand phrases that get a whole lot easier with repetition...

Thanks for sharing, Andrew.  I have to go back and take some notes the next time...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Andrew!  nice video. 

I've contacted Executive - their current tie down is $55 per night. 

I've also contacted Tie Down Guest House - on the field.  Has anyone stayed there?

Concerning our route - we're first visiting North Dakota, then on to Glacier National Park - so the Canada flight will just be from Glacier up to Calgary area.

Nice video! Unlike Anthony, the only verbiage I had problems understanding was the pilot . . . Compared to Alabama, he sounded like he ODed at Starbucks!

Meeting the shadow at landing was pretty nice, too. Right down the centerline.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2016 at 1:50 PM, carusoam said:

Great IFR com lesson for anyone thinking about the IR...

A whole lot of quick hard to understand phrases that get a whole lot easier with repetition...

Thanks for sharing, Andrew.  I have to go back and take some notes the next time...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks! In Canada, there's a number of key phraseology differences...

Instead of "climb and maintain..." or "descend and maintain..." you'll often hear "re-cleared..."

Instead of "descend, pilot's discretion..." you'll hear "when ready, descend..."

Instead of "line up and wait..." you'll hear "at the threshold, line up and wait..."

Instead of "radar contact..." you'll hear "radar identified..."

They like saying "check that" instead of "roger that" and of course decimal instead of point. :) I try to use their phraseology when flying there, but sometimes I forget...

On 4/25/2016 at 3:31 PM, N3830H said:

Thanks Andrew!  nice video. 

I've contacted Executive - their current tie down is $55 per night. 

I've also contacted Tie Down Guest House - on the field.  Has anyone stayed there?

Concerning our route - we're first visiting North Dakota, then on to Glacier National Park - so the Canada flight will just be from Glacier up to Calgary area.

Thank you! Ugh, parking has become a nightmare at Springbank, I'm sorry to hear the pricing went up again... There aren't many good options near Calgary especially if you want a 5000ft runway and an ILS...

22 hours ago, Hank said:

Nice video! Unlike Anthony, the only verbiage I had problems understanding was the pilot . . . Compared to Alabama, he sounded like he ODed at Starbucks!

Meeting the shadow at landing was pretty nice, too. Right down the centerline.

Thanks! I can't help talking fast on the radio... far too much time spent flying into class B airports and busy airspace (SFO/LAX/NYC)... My first time flying into Hay River, NT, the CARS operator (basically a weather reporter and not ATC) asked me to speak slowly since he wasn't used to fast talking pilots... I should post that video actually.

-Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N9453V said:

Thanks! I can't help talking fast on the radio... far too much time spent flying into class B airports and busy airspace (SFO/LAX/NYC)... My first time flying into Hay River, NT, the CARS operator (basically a weather reporter and not ATC) asked me to speak slowly since he wasn't used to fast talking pilots... I should post that video actually.

-Andrew

I just got home to Alabama from a business trip to Connecticut. I only had to remind one person that I hear as fast as I speak . . .  :lol:

Now that I'm finished with the aluminum tube, can't wait to get out in my plane tomorrow. Good luck with your Calgary trip!