Tribute to Bill Wheat

Andy95W

Alex- I don't think he was the only one doing production test flights, but it seems like he did a majority of them.

I'm hoping others will post pictures of their log books if Bill did their test flights, too.  Such an interesting legacy to leave behind.

Odd that each flight took different amount of time.  Mine was 1 hr 30 min, yours was 3 hrs, 47U's was 1 hr 15 min.

I'm hoping that June 1, 1959 was a nice day and Bill took extra time enjoying flying your plane on its first flight.

I had it in my head that Bill had test flown my plane too. Sadly I can not post a tribute to Bill. On inspection of my logs, somebody else did the factory test flight. That guy flew it for 2 hours, 45 minutes! Maybe he went to get lunch somewhere?

• Like 1

In further tribute to Bill Wheat I'd like to share this tidbit I stumbled across on the website www.mooneymite.com. I'd never seen this before, but it may be of interest to some.

Test Flight of the Mooney M-19

You may recall that the M-19 was a specially modified M-18C-55 which Mooney developed as a counter-liaison aircraft they called the "Cub-Killer." It featured a 90 h.p. engine with a Flottorp constant speed propeller and .30 caliber machine guns in the wings. No one seems to know where the M-19 is now -- even photos of the plane are as rare as hens' teeth. Only stories remain. Here is a good one from long-time Mooney man, Bill Wheat....

m19forweb.jpg"The photo is definitely the M-19. The pilot is Bill Taylor [Mooney's general manager]. Due to the quality of the picture I cannot be certain as to whether it is as presented to the Military or repainted and cleaned up as a company run-about. The original was a dull olive-drab all over and was as ugly as all-get-out."

"Taylor's first flight lasted about an hour and a half. Normally, the first flight of a proto-type was about 15 minutes. Everyone was in front of the factory and getting worried.

When he finally taxied up and got out, someone asked him what he was going to name it. He stood on the wing for a moment and finally answered, 'Old Puss.'

Al Mooney asked why and Bill replied, 'It's the only thing I can think of that looks so bad and feels so good!'"

• Like 4