Panel Upgrade - Week 1

8 hours ago, Bob_Belville said: Glenn, gotta love 50 AMU panels in 50 year old Mooneys with Johnson Bars. Got a pic of the after? 

Yesterday I was talking to a Comanche owner with a similar addiction.  We agreed it can no longer be called an investment. It is the price that we are willing to pay for the enjoyment.

Lft Panel.JPG

Between the two stacks, is that the audio panel, mounted vertically? Is it a special model with the labels rotated, or is it a standard model just mounted 90 degrees from normal?

Thanks?

Blaine

On 4/25/2016 at 5:09 PM, Glenn said:
On 4/25/2016 at 8:45 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Glenn, gotta love 50 AMU panels in 50 year old Mooneys with Johnson Bars. Got a pic of the after? 

Yesterday I was talking to a Comanche owner with a similar addiction.  We agreed it can no longer be called an investment. It is the price that we are willing to pay for the enjoyment.  

Yeah tell me about it...

before and after.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/18/2016 at 1:43 PM, blaine beaven said:

Between the two stacks, is that the audio panel, mounted vertically? Is it a special model with the labels rotated, or is it a standard model just mounted 90 degrees from normal?

Thanks?

Blaine

PS Engineering offers a vertical option.  http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma8000b.shtml   It fits nicely between the structural tubes.

Sneak peek at the end of Week 5...dry-fit of everything before metal panel cut.  Couple of adjustments needed yet, like moving everything up nearly an inch so the rudder trim and gear handle (those two side-by-side holes above control column) clear the lower horizontal structural tube.  Also puts the GDU620 up a bit higher, and aligns the top of the ESI500 to the top edge of the 750.

IMG_0233.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Sneak peek at the end of Week 5...dry-fit of everything before metal panel cut.  Couple of adjustments needed yet, like moving everything up nearly an inch so the rudder trim and gear handle (those two side-by-side holes above control column) clear the lower horizontal structural tube.  Also puts the GDU620 up a bit higher, and aligns the top of the ESI500 to the top edge of the 750.

IMG_0233.JPG

I've seen some that put in glass panels with EFIS backup that place the backup so the horizon is exactly lined up with the horizon on the main glass so that transition is easier. All a matter of personal preference though.

Steven,

I'm calling shotgun for trial flights that follow the major upgrade exercise.

Complete engineering level notes, if desired.

If that spot is filled, I make good ballast in the back.  :)

That panel is starting to look really nice.

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said: Sneak peek at the end of Week 5...dry-fit of everything before metal panel cut.  Couple of adjustments needed yet, like moving everything up nearly an inch so the rudder trim and gear handle (those two side-by-side holes above control column) clear the lower horizontal structural tube.  Also puts the GDU620 up a bit higher, and aligns the top of the ESI500 to the top edge of the 750.

IMG_0233.JPG

I've seen some that put in glass panels with EFIS backup that place the backup so the horizon is exactly lined up with the horizon on the main glass so that transition is easier. All a matter of personal preference though.

That's what I had them do with my mechanical AI backup. Not sure why they wanted to place it low in the panel.

98437e696951fee6e753d90798c477b5.jpg

44 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Nice "T" shaped scan in your F, Chris

It is hard to lose attitude awareness when you see three AI in your scan.

Chris F Panel Scan May 2016.jpg

The only I don't like about having a mechanical AI as a backup is adjusting to the lesser "sensitivity" of the mechanical AI. Both Aspens have almost a full inch of deflection to reach the 10 degree climb or descent marks. On the mechanical it is closer to a little over a quarter inch.

Just now, Ftlausa said:

I am developing some major panel envy. 

You too can be a member of the "You spent that on a 50 year old airplane? club". Easy to become a member. Just go to your favorite avionics shop, leave your wallet and checkbook and come back in 4 to 6 weeks. No fuss, no hassle, no money left...

• Like 2

Truth is, I am having a 650/750/345 stack being installed at present.  I just could not pull the trigger on the glass panel, however.  I was afraid if I did, my wife would pull a different trigger on me!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ftlausa said:

Truth is, I am having a 650/750/345 stack being installed at present.  I just could not pull the trigger on the glass panel, however.  I was afraid if I did, my wife would pull a different trigger on me!!

Let her take the shot. Might get lucky and it will miss the vital organs.

So good to see so many insane people who have lost sight of perspective on MS. As we say in the fitness biz.. "Go big or go home :) ". Some good looking panels out there. Lets keep these old birds flying and looking good. Very nice!!

-Tom

Newbie here. Thought I would share my panel upgrade.

Decided to install SAM,  for backup attitude, altitude and heading with independent AHRS for heading, after both panels went black in IMC on approach, not the best day. GTX345 Transponder which allowed me to install Garmin 825 active traffic, as well as ADSB In/Out, although not needed in Canada, yet, and no coverage except when I fly along border or into the US, TRIG Comm 3 and TRIG Transponder 2. If I could only find a place for a second engine, I would be happy.

IMG_2367.jpg

57 minutes ago, Ptsticks said:

Newbie here. Thought I would share my panel upgrade.

Decided to install SAM,  for backup attitude, altitude and heading with independent AHRS for heading, after both panels went black in IMC on approach, not the best day. GTX345 Transponder which allowed me to install Garmin 825 active traffic, as well as ADSB In/Out, although not needed in Canada, yet, and no coverage except when I fly along border or into the US, TRIG Comm 3 and TRIG Transponder 2. If I could only find a place for a second engine, I would be happy.

IMG_2367.jpg

I can't even imagine everything going black in IMC on approach - very sobering. Great idea putting in the SAM with the battery backup and the COM 3 and XPNDR 2.

I still can't believe that Mooney (and Beech in the Bonanza) got the G1000 approved with the backup instruments on the far right - very difficult to use those in the most difficult of circumstances - and with no backup nav whatsoever (thankfully now everyone has an iPad or something like it). Back when this got approved, wouldn't it have made more sense to put a 2" attitude, altimeter and airspeed somewhere in the pilot's field of view? 

• Like 1